Any Controller Shortage?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
The media frequently discusses the pilot shortage.

How is the employment outlook and needs on the ATC side of the table?

The controllers who replaced the strikers in '81 and after are retiring or very close to retiring. Projections are for a lot of hiring from what I hear.

It’s never been as big a deal for controllers. Even the newbies actually get paid good wages.

There isn’t a pilot shortage, there’s a pay shortage at the bottom end.

Pay pilots (sometime before year ten in the biz) like we pay a good first year IT worker (with a similar talent shortage going on in many areas), and you’ll have applicants out of your ears for every flying job out there.

Controller hiring will be increased but nothing like the catch-up game the pilot jobs are doing right now.

There is a serious shortage, and is for two main reasons.

1) Retiring controllers from the original NATCA classes. That is so significant that they are offering contract exceptions to stay on past 56, but few are taking it.

2) There was a huge slow down in new controllers entering under the imposed "white book" contract by the Bush administration, which means there is a shortage of fully certified, veteran CIC controllers and a lot of trainees .

Not as bad as just a few years ago but yeah, there’s a shortage. A bid will be out at the end of the month for hiring on USAJOBS.

My friend at ATL TRACON said they’re about 3/4 staffed right now with 67 certified but have a bunch in training. They go with about a 45 % washout rate so they’ll still be under staffed there for the foreseeable future.

My brother is at ABI and they’re a few short of 100 % (20 controllers) as well with more to retire soon. Just a couple years ago they were 50 % staffed and couldn’t get leave approved. Things are improving with all the new hires.

Last edited:
The media frequently discusses the pilot shortage.

How is the employment outlook and needs on the ATC side of the table?
Short answer (already been said above), yes there is a shortage.

Slightly longer but no where near encompassing this subject, it's fairly complex to get an accurate number (i.e. if your facility gets a previously certified controller from a low level facility and they check out on a few easy positions in your building they are used to augment the staffing for a bit but inevitably many of them wash out and you are back to square 1). Our facility is a major one and we are around 60% staffed with fully certified controllers. More are leaving than are certifying but that is starting to trend better. Another big thing that is hiding true staffing numbers is at facilities that "they" deem critical to the NAS (ours for example) they have completely shut off the ability to leave without retiring or quitting (I call it the Alcatraz clause). Eventually if they ever turn that off there are lot's of people that want to go other places and we'll be right back again.

Employment outlook, while not as good as the pilot side probably, is still good for ATC for a while. You just have to figure out how to get hired prior to one's 31st birthday.

Short answer (already been said above), yes there is a shortage.

Slightly longer but no where near encompassing this subject, it's fairly complex to get an accurate number (i.e. if your facility gets a previously certified controller from a low level facility and they check out on a few easy positions in your building they are used to augment the staffing for a bit but inevitably many of them wash out and you are back to square 1). Our facility is a major one and we are around 60% staffed with fully certified controllers. More are leaving than are certifying but that is starting to trend better. Another big thing that is hiding true staffing numbers is at facilities that "they" deem critical to the NAS (ours for example) they have completely shut off the ability to leave without retiring or quitting (I call it the Alcatraz clause). Eventually if they ever turn that off there are lot's of people that want to go other places and we'll be right back again.

Employment outlook, while not as good as the pilot side probably, is still good for ATC for a while. You just have to figure out how to get hired prior to one's 31st birthday.

Alcatraz Clause. LOL. Good one

The annual FAA “by the numbers” report. It says less than 30% total trainees.

What I find interesting is how consistent the Centers are in staffing considering the traffic is not that evenly dispersed across the Centers.

bbdc1ab71bc75b57acc9eea3fb7e30f4.png

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/by_the_numbers/media/Air_Traffic_by_the_Numbers_2017_Final.pdf

Staffing at LAX is apparently short enough that they have closed the Mini Route indefinitely.

Back