Any chance of panel mount GPS price coming down?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
So we have G5 or similar for poor man's PDF (even if we can't make it primary for more than 1), there is a auto pilot STC out there and from what I can gather u can get it around 5k + install + STC... any rumbling around similar panel mount GPS STC or whatever to bring that cost down? With the above STC one can buy a cheaper used plane and won't break the bank to get some glass and AP in...wondering if we are just stuck with high priced GPS for the sake of it?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So we have G5 or similar for poor man's PDF (even if we can't make it primary for more than 1), there is a auto pilot STC out there and from what I can gather u can get it around 5k + install + STC... any rumbling around similar panel mount GPS STC or whatever to bring that cost down? With the above STC one can buy a cheaper used plane and won't break the bank to get some glass and AP in...wondering if we are just stuck with high priced GPS for the sake of it?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Avidyne tried with the 440, but frankly it's asinine that we can't get /G without spending an inordinate amount of money for a user interface that does 10% of what my iPad and ForeFlight are capable of.

I'd love to see someone like appareo come out with a TSO'd GPS that would interface with ForeFlight and a CDI for /G ops. Get it to 5-7k installed and they'd have a line out the door.

In the meantime, I'm probably going to plop a GX-60 in the Maule, thus paying 1500 to install a $500 GPS so I can legally shoot GPS-A approaches.... which is a better move than putting a glideslope and CDI and DME in the Maule for the impending doom of getting my IR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower prices during the run up to 2020 when folks are thinking they'll add it while they are putting in the ADS-B Out gear? Not a snowball's chance in hell. FAA handed them customers on a skewer. No sales pitch nor discounts, required.

Try again in 2021 and I bet there will be some nice rebates to dump stock if they overbuilt.

Avidyne tried with the 440, but frankly it's asinine that we can't get /G without spending an inordinate amount of money for a user interface that does 10% of what my iPad and ForeFlight are capable of.

I'd love to see someone like appareo come out with a TSO'd GPS that would interface with ForeFlight and a CDI for /G ops. Get it to 5-7k installed and they'd have a line out the door.

In the meantime, I'm probably going to plop a GX-60 in the Maule, thus paying 1500 to install a $500 GPS so I can legally shoot GPS-A approaches.... which is a better move than putting a glideslope and CDI and DME in the Maule for the impending doom of getting my IR.

You'll also need a CDI and an annunciator panel for GX60 IFR install. And a field approval.
Have fun :(

It's the field approval that will cause you to :(

Even if I'm using a certified repair station?

Is the field approval done by them or an IA?

Or will the three-lettered-devil be giving me the rectal boroscope on this one...

You'll also need a CDI and an annunciator panel for GX60 IFR install. And a field approval.
Have fun :(
Can you even get a GX60 IFR install? I thought Garmin abandoned those and you couldn't get up to date databases.

I really don't like them much. Too easy to get lost in the circular menus.

Can you even get a GX60 IFR install? I thought Garmin abandoned those and you couldn't get up to date databases.

I really don't like them much. Too easy to get lost in the circular menus.

Yes you can, Jeppesen sells the database updates for $150 for a single update.

Even if I'm using a certified repair station?

Is the field approval done by them or an IA?

Or will the three-lettered-devil be giving me the rectal boroscope on this one...

Field approval is done by FAA, your CRS/IA just fills the 337. It's a long process, they also have to approve your AFMS.

Back