Any chance of adding an RSS feed?

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
Please? I know there's a mod or two out there for vB to support it. :)

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

A good write up of what it actually is can be found at: http://asp.usatoday.com/marketing/rss/index.aspx?POE=BRIEF (I'M NOT ENDORSING THIS SITE, just saying it has a good write up of what it actually is).

It's a method for delivering headlines or new topics via an XML standard that can be read via any number of readers (including support built into (or and addon to?) Firefox. There are many many credible sources that now deliver information via this resource. (Yahoo, CNN, USA Today, Slashdot, etc, etc, etc).

What it does NOT do is deliver complete content - but rather what I have done is set up one feed reader (www.feedreader.com) to gather topics from about 10 or so sources and I can then pick and choose which topics I want to read and it takes me to that site.

That way, I don't have to vist 10 sites every day to read maybe 5 or 10 topics - I get my information much faster now. =)

What is RSS?
RSS, sometimes known as Really Simple Syndication, is a popular means of sharing content (such as news headlines) without requiring readers to constantly visit a Web site to see what's new. RSS feeds contain headlines and hyperlinks to longer articles or Web pages.

Ok now that I know what it is - whether we look into adding it will depend largely on the demand that exists for such a feed. :)

I suggest you use Firefox's capability for the sites that you visit that support it or if you don't use firefox, download one of the litterally 100's of RSS feed readers and give it a whirl. It really cuts down the amount of time I spend "reading" the sites I visit regularly - I'm sure it has the potential to do the same for you.

Edited: Basically I have my reader set up to go out and "poll" about 12 "web pages" every 30 minutes for new content. Some are news related, some are game related, a blog or two, etc. It then displays all of the "new" content in one place.

It's a whole new way of looking at content on the internet. It's much more streamlined and really I think it's going to be adopted as the "next generation" method for quickly gathering information.

Not to mention you'd have an opportunity to get me to participate here every half an hour rather than once or twice a day. :dance:

Last edited:
Looking at this more closely, it may be that the RSS support is built in - investigating further.

I don't really want one. I just didn't know what he was talking about. :)

Back