Any chance I can make this happen?

mjburian

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marty
As some of you already know, I passed my private pilot checkride earlier this week... thanks to the tremendous instruction I receive from my dad.

A little background:
My dad joined the Air Force right out of high school based on promises he received that he would fly fighter jets. Back then, apparently recruiters could tell a prospective recruit just about anything to get them to join. Needless to say, he never got to fly a fighter and it's been a life-long dream of his to do so.

I realize this is a tall order, but I'm hoping somebody here might be able to help me make a dream come true for my dad/instructor. I have put aside a bit of money each lesson to go towards an instructor gift, and now that my primary training is complete I have about $1000 to spend. I would gladly part with that money (and any other cash I could scrape up) just to allow my dad the opportunity to get a ride in a fighter.

PLEASE... if you have any ideas as to how I might be able to secure this experience for someone that would appreciate it more than anyone else I know, reply to this thread or send me a private message.

Thanks,
Marty

Marty, I don't have any leads for you but I sure admire your role as an appreciative son. You two are clearly a great father/son match up. Kudos on your ride and on your current effort.

I realize this is a tall order, but I'm hoping somebody here might be able to help me make a dream come true for my dad/instructor. I have put aside a bit of money each lesson to go towards an instructor gift, and now that my primary training is complete I have about $1000 to spend. I would gladly part with that money (and any other cash I could scrape up) just to allow my dad the opportunity to get a ride in a fighter.

PLEASE... if you have any ideas as to how I might be able to secure this experience for someone that would appreciate it more than anyone else I know, reply to this thread or send me a private message.

There are several outfits around that sell rides in WWII fighters, but I haven't seen too many involving jets. There are a several old Warsaw Pact fighters about (MiG-15s, etc.) but they're generally licensed as Experimental Exhibition, which restricts the owners' ability to sell rides.

The Collins Foundation is touringwith a variety of WWII airplanes, including a two-seat P-51C, and you can "take instruction" in the Mustang. Unfortunately, it's beyond your budget at $2200 per half hour.

I would figure a jet rate would be at least what the Mustang goes for.

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
I don't think a jet ride is available in the US at your price. The Russians do several, but $1000 won't even put a dent in the cost of the trip. For $3000, you can get a ride in an L39 at Hollywood Top Gun. Another outfit that offers L39 jet rides at several US locations is MigFlug, with prices starting around $2K.

Actually I think there is a place in Philly with an L39 that might be reasonable ( relativley) I'll try and get some info for you.

Where are you located?

Several outfits and private owners of ex-military jets offer rides/instruction.

These guys were at the Ada, OK Air Expo this past weekend providing sponsor rides after the airshow. They're based near Dallas, TX. Photo attached was taken on Friday before the show.

http://coldwarairmuseum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Cold_War_Air_Museum&useskin=museum

There's an owner based in Houma, LA that provides an L-39 ride as one of the prizes for attending the LA Fly-in Series. It's valued at $600.

http://members.cox.net/laflyins/Prizes.htm

Here's list of classic jet instructors. Take your pick of jets. You could sign up your dad for an intro lesson.

http://www.classicjets.org/instructors.html

Attachments

• P6130011.JPG
    P6130011.JPG
    621.2 KB · Views: 7
Where are you located?

Several outfits and private owners of ex-military jets offer rides/instruction.

These guys were at the Ada, OK Air Expo this past weekend providing sponsor rides after the airshow. They're based near Dallas, TX. Photo attached was taken on Friday before the show.

http://coldwarairmuseum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Cold_War_Air_Museum&useskin=museum

There's an owner based in Houma, LA that provides an L-39 ride as one of the prizes for attending the LA Fly-in Series. It's valued at $600.

http://members.cox.net/laflyins/Prizes.htm

Here's list of classic jet instructors. Take your pick of jets. You could sign up your dad for an intro lesson.

http://www.classicjets.org/instructors.html

We're in the Milwaukee, WI area... but since he flies for an airline, the location of the "gift" shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thanks for the resources... I'll call around and see what I can find out.

Hope it works out for you. Be prepared for some sticker shock with a few of the contacts, but I'm sure with a little patience and an explanation of what you're doing you'll find someone will be happy to accomodate your dad at a reasonable cost.

If you can make it to Airventure I'd be happy to show you around the warbird "Jet Line".

We're in the Milwaukee, WI area... but since he flies for an airline, the location of the "gift" shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Last edited:

Marty,

I hear the Indiana Aviation Museum at KVPZ does rides for the price of fuel. They do have one jet: An A-37. It sure as heck isn't sexy, but it's a military jet! :yes:

I also hear that they're going to be shutting down after this summer. They already sold the Corsair. :(

Mari mentioned it, but I have to second the operation at Santa Fe. I hear they have the most realistic prices in the country.

Back