Any CFIs feel like they wouldn't be very good at it initially?

FLYGUYRY

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan_M
So I had my first flight in over a month and a half today and kinda had my first "mock" instruction day giving ground instruction and then going up and teaching in the pattern and man was it rough. Sometimes I feel like I know the material but when I actually get up to lay it all out I feel like a complete idiot. Did any of you guys feel the same when you were in training for CFI or even initially when you first started? I always feel like teaching hasn't been my strong point, I've always been good at doing things, but I struggle to teach for some reason. Kinda feeling down about the whole thing at the moment.

Absolutely. It’s a touch creepy when you’re practicing on another CFI and you realize you can’t figure out how to explain this thing you already know how to do and why. :)

Just keep practicing.

My CFI told me to go home and teach my dog how to fly. Dogs love to listen to their owners and don’t judge. They don’t know you’re making mistakes.

I found this mildly effective but the dog was much more attentive if I gave the dog a treat every time I managed to talk my way through a lesson plan. :)

He also suggested I practice on my wife. That was not as good of a plan. She’ll smile and nod just like a real student who isn’t getting it and didn’t like quizzes. :)

Best to practice on someone actually interested in aviation. :)

What’s infesting about my wife though is, no motivation to be a student at all, but she DID internalize some of that stuff. Poor dear. I can read her an OMG story of horrible instruction from the internet and she’ll say, “That’s not how that works!” LOL.

She actually did get about half of a private rating ground school into her brain throughout all of that practice time while she was hanging out in the kitchen.

She just doesn’t realize it, or care. LOL.

I bet if I walk downstairs right now and ask her what the emergency frequency is, she’d rattle off 121.5 without even thinking about it.

Or ask her what the airplane will do if we add power in level flight, she’d look at me funny and say, “It climbs. Why are you asking me?!” Hahaha.

And all sorts of other stuff.

Talk to your dog, your wife, the bathroom mirror. Listen to yourself and see if you make any sense at all. You won’t at first. It’ll be all out of order and messed up. Regroup and talk to yourself out loud again. Find another CFI candidate and talk to them. Ask them to critique. Etc.

Your first few students will teach you more about instructing than any training will. The questions that they ask and seeing the things that they just aren't getting until you explain it a different way will give you great feedback. Keep at it, you'll get there.

Awesome, thanks for the words of wisdom guys. Like denverpilot said, was quite embarrassing when my CFI was like ok teach me about crosswind landings, I go up to the board super confident and then suddenly am just standing there sounding like a bumbling idiot. I guess it all comes with experience and I'm sure its harder for some than others.

What’s infesting about my wife though is,
Talk to your dog, your wife, .

Hmm...what's your wife doing Nate?! :eek:

As for talking to my dog, she listens but just sits there with her head cocked, or is that the wife, or both! o_O

Awesome, thanks for the words of wisdom guys. Like denverpilot said, was quite embarrassing when my CFI was like ok teach me about crosswind landings, I go up to the board super confident and then suddenly am just standing there sounding like a bumbling idiot. I guess it all comes with experience and I'm sure its harder for some than others.

During my last day of CFI checkride prep, I told my instructor that either I was getting more comfortable talking/drawing/explaining or I was just getting more comfortable sounding like an idiot. (I really wasn’t sure which it was.) Either way, keep at it and you’ll get beyond some of the nervous mind blanks... then you’ll realize you really DO know this stuff!

Back