Any car collectors looking for something rare?

Dave Arata

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
I'm strongly considering selling my 2000 Mustang Cobra R. Pretty darn rare as Ford only built 300 examples and sold for almost $55k when new! :eek: The car sits in my garage, collecting dust and I'd like to replace it with a Z06 to get back into autocross and HPDEs. While the pic is not of the exact car, all 300 were built identically. My car has a few desirable aftermarket goodies and black binder. 15K miles. I'm thinking of asking $43K.cobra r.jpg

Definitely considering that. I'm not a huge fan of their process. Deciding on allowable reserves and such.

Where are you located? I’ll ask a few people that may want it

Definitely considering that. I'm not a huge fan of their process. Deciding on allowable reserves and such.

The prices they bring for those cars is insane. Ignore the process, focus on the proceeds.

The prices they bring for those cars is insane. Ignore the process, focus on the proceeds.

Sound advice! :) Looks like the last one on BAT with similar mileage bid to just under $40k without the aftermarket stuff I've got. If I can get near $43k for it, I'd be happy. I know I'll kick myself in 5-10 years when the cars are selling for six figures.

Last edited:
Sound advice! :) Looks like the last one on BAT with similar mileage bid to just under $40k without the aftermarket stuff I've got. If I can get near $43k for it, I'd be happy. I know I'll kick myself in 5-10 years when the cars are selling for six figures.

...or if the economy tanks and they're selling for four figures.

Throw in a CGR-30 twin combo and I might just bid myself, despite being raised a GM dude :D

This is why I need to sell it NOW!! :D I've raced nothing but Mustangs for the past 20 years. I'm finally switching sides. You can, too. ;)

This is a race car? Cage? Interior? I've owned a few of 64 1/2-66 mustangs I think the 99-4 body style is the best looking Mustang IMO. It lends itself to all sort of Mods snd looks great. But the Cobra is Ford doing it right. Great power hand built motors made to race out of the box.

Last edited:
No offense intended, and I realize this isn't a run of the mill Mustang, but when I saw "rare" the last thing I expected when opening the thread was a Mustang.

Boy, did I want one of these when they came out. Closest I've ever gotten to one was on the other side of a velvet rope at a Ford dealer in NC.

I don't have $43k. I think that price is reasonable. It's only 10x what people are asking for your normal ragged out, beat up GTs of the same body style with 150k miles.

I've owned a few of 64 1/2-66 mustangs

I have a '65 that needs a restomod. There are so many things one can do and new parts are coming out all the time. I wish someone would come out with a book of all things compatible to early Mustangs. For example, what header works with a Flaming River rack and pinion steering system. What wheel combination works without having to lip the fenders etc.

Ford claims to have built the car as a factory race car, but there is no roll cage. Custom Recaro seats are factory as is radio delete, a/c delete and rear seat delete. A capable driver can nail similar lap times to a new generation Boss 302. That's pretty fantastic considering the almost 15 year age difference.

Ford claims to have built the car as a factory race car, but there is no roll cage. Custom Recaro seats are factory as is radio delete, a/c delete and rear seat delete. A capable driver can nail similar lap times to a new generation Boss 302. That's pretty fantastic considering the almost 15 year age difference.
I sold my 70 Boss 302 in 93 to buy an R model, damn I wish I’d kept one of them!!

I sold my 70 Boss 302 in 93 to buy an R model, damn I wish I’d kept one of them!!

OMG a Boss. Hindsight is always 20-20. Plus who ever would have thought classics command the price they are reaching.

OMG a Boss. Hindsight is always 20-20. Plus who ever would have thought classics command the price they are reaching.
Amen. When the GT came out for the first time in '04 or whenever, I realized that I could buy one... I'd just have to give up all other hobbies and activities and make a few other adjustments. And why do that just to watch the car depreciate rapidly? Right? Sigh...

This is why I need to sell it NOW!! :D I've raced nothing but Mustangs for the past 20 years. I'm finally switching sides. You can, too. ;)
Of course, you can stay with the white hat (and blue oval) gang and buy a new GT500 ...

Those are indeed rare, and not often driven on the street due to the deep spoiler.

Z06 is a performer, but no chance of talking you into a GT-350 or GT-500?

(edit: Kenny Phillips beat me to the suggestion!)

I'm not a big fan of that generation of mustangs, but those Cobra R's have grown on me. The sound they make from the factory between the exhaust and the supercharger is just awesome IMO. Would love to own one, and that price is reasonable to what I've seen others go for in the past year. Just wish I had that much money to play with atm :)

Would you consider a spec racer/autocross vehicle like a Porsche 944? Just bought one for my son to learn to drive a manual transmission, and there is a competitive Spec racing class and autocross following for that vehicle, and you could keep the Cobra R?

Amen. When the GT came out for the first time in '04 or whenever, I realized that I could buy one... I'd just have to give up all other hobbies and activities and make a few other adjustments. And why do that just to watch the car depreciate rapidly? Right? Sigh...
Yeah they dropped for a few years and now I think they are above $300K, if I had kept one, they wouldn't be worth more than a Focus now!! :eek::eek:

Yeah they dropped for a few years and now I think they are above $300K, if I had kept one, they wouldn't be worth more than a Focus now!! :eek::eek:
I know what you mean!!! I have a knack for picking things right before they completely tank in value. I think the '05-'06 GTs were above $500K for a while. Shouldawouldacoulda. I didn't buy Apple stock at $1.50 a share, either.

I know what you mean!!! I have a knack for picking things right before they completely tank in value. I think the '05-'06 GTs were above $500K for a while. Shouldawouldacoulda. I didn't buy Apple stock at $1.50 a share, either.
A customer of mine was a real gear head, the Porsche dealer offered him some new exotic hybrid that was $7-800K, he passed, it was selling for around $1.2 when he told me the story! :eek:

Definitely do not want a GT350 or GT500. I've raced Mustangs for a very long time and looking forward to getting into something different. Amazing performance, no doubt. I've thought about a 944, Miata, etc, but I don't want a dedicated racecar and would enjoy something with a little more...oomph. :) The Z06 checks a lot of boxes. Great for a Sunday drive, great for autocross, great for HPDEs and even TSD rallies. Most importantly, reliable and inexpensive to maintain/repair. If I knock the splitter off the 00R, I'm looking at 2-3K to replace it, if I can even find one.

Having said I'm bored to death with Mustangs, I could definitely be talked into a 69 or 70 Boss 302!

Definitely do not want a GT350 or GT500. I've raced Mustangs for a very long time and looking forward to getting into something different. Amazing performance, no doubt. I've thought about a 944, Miata, etc, but I don't want a dedicated racecar and would enjoy something with a little more...oomph. :) The Z06 checks a lot of boxes. Great for a Sunday drive, great for autocross, great for HPDEs and even TSD rallies. Most importantly, reliable and inexpensive to maintain/repair. If I knock the splitter off the 00R, I'm looking at 2-3K to replace it, if I can even find one.

Having said I'm bored to death with Mustangs, I could definitely be talked into a 69 or 70 Boss 302!

Z06’s are fun -
2B8DF903-E8BC-4272-B165-367A9B7E88AF.jpeg

I do get to play with a few fun Mustangs too!

E2ACE6D5-424B-4FB1-A815-D0FFEC7CFEB6.jpeg 9ECC3194-3EAF-45D2-AA79-497651002D97.jpeg F700D384-0997-4FD6-A1B6-8B5D84BE60E9.jpeg 1188DA5C-BC1A-414F-B40A-765148336E1D.jpeg

I love to talk airplanes and cars, and we’re right in the middle of a little winter TLC time at the shop. Pilots are welcome for a tour if you stop by KSXK for some fuel.

Eggman

I'd stop by just to have a closer look at that Boss "9"! I've only seen one in the wild that a very good friend of mine was selling for his good friend's widow. Pretty cool to open the driver door and find that Kar Kraft ID.

Dave, I sent you a message regarding one of your old race cars I bought. (87 Mustang) Not sure if you will get it though since I'm just joined this forum. If you didn't get it, let me know and I'll find a different way to get my contact info to you.

Thank you, Justin

Hi Justin-

Congrats on the purchase. As I primarily check this forum for work, you can reach out to me at darata123@msn.com with any questions regarding the car.

Thanks!
Dave

Great, thank you. I'll be sure to send an email to you when I get home later this afternoon. Thanks again, Justin

Back