Any Border Collie Owners? or herding breed

Another vote for Aussies. Smart as a BC but less manic. An important factor for me is having a long lived dog. If your going to make a best friend you want him to stay with you just as long as possible. I miss my buddy a lot but he gave me 21 happy years. Granted that was a couple more then the average AS but not much.

Our Labradoodle is the best dog we've ever had. She'll run, jump, fetch, as long as you like but is happy to lay around and be lazy too. Easy to train and perfectly obedient. Loves to ride in the back seat of the Mooney. She never needs a leash regardless of what we're doing or where we are. Not spooked by anything. The poodle in her means a hypoallergenic coat that doesn't shed. She's standard size and can get in and out of the convertible without opening the door. I just say "let's go" and she'll trot over to the car and easily jump in clearing the door and drivers seat to her side. Very athletic and agile without the need to constantly be working.

Side topic: My pup apparently has had some kind of trauma involving a Doodle or similar. The folks at the doggy day care have to keep him and another giant Doodle who I've met and is a perfectly sweet dog and good temperament, separated throughout the day.

Since it's my pup who initiates dominance games and light growling, he usually gets the longest "time out" in a room off of the main play area if the doodle is there that day. The staff have helped us out with desensitizing him to other "curly" dogs and he gets along with them fine, but something about the giant doodle intimidates him or frightens him. It'd take a lot more desensitization work than they can offer, obviously. Very odd.

His other significant weirdness is if he's on the bed and a foot comes toward him while under the covers, he emits a serious growl and leaves. All you have to do is wiggle a foot. We don't know if it's triggering a prey reaction or he got kicked by accident while someone was sleeping, but neither of us move that much sleeping. Has to be something that happened to him in the past if it's a frightened behavior.

Sure scared the hell out of me the first time I moved my foot toward him. Thought either someone was in the house or he was about to chomp my foot. LOL.

They all have their interesting idiosyncrasies, that's for sure.

But I like doodles. Never had one but all I've met have been well-behaved and smart enough to train, and good tempered dogs. This poor giant doodle at the day care just ignores our pup for the most part. He will eventually get annoyed and bark/snap just to say, "Leave me alone you idiot!" but he's pushed to get to that point.

(The staff showed me a video. There are a lot of Prima-Donna owners who bring their dogs there who get upset if their dog is not out in the main area playing and "getting their money's worth", crap like that... So they showed me what was happening. When the doodle owner and I met in the lobby one evening the staff looked concerned until I explained that it was my pup who was the idiot and petted the doodle for five minutes and talked to the owner to let her know I was 100% cool with the staff keeping our boy away from her boy.)

He's a good pup.

Whatever our doofus' problem is with him, we haven't figured out yet.

If we had the time and space on neutral ground, I would love to work with the doodle owner on moving them slowly together and away... And a little closer together... And away... Eventually seeing if they'd accept each other for a Pack walk. But it'll probably never happen.

Nate.... be happy it's a reaction to a foot and not a morning bed cover tent.

We're celebrating our BC's second birthday. He was a rescue unlike his predecessor who passed away a month before we got this one. BC's are wonderful pets but as many have already noted they have some unique needs that you'd best be ready to fill as an owner. They need a job and are almost guaranteed to have more energy than you. They will amaze you with what they will just suddenly pick up as a skill as ours just suddenly became a frisbee dog. Maybe he was bored...maybe he's just showing off. There is definitely a psychology to training a BC. Probably not the best first dog for the uninitiated but if you do your homework and have a good training plan, they will just amaze you with their abilities.

The second best dog I've had was a Pu-Pu. He was a rather large dog, at about 100 pounds. His mom was a wolf hybred, and lord only knows what his dad was. What I learned about Pu-Pus is that they are loyal, smart, easy to train, and just plain fun.
The best dog I've had was a Doberman/Chow. She was an active dog, very loyal, hard to train, but once she got it, she had it, and never forgot it. Loved kids, would play with them all day long, and never let them get hurt. Also quite possesive of "her" house, when her "boss" was not there.
Then we got the "big white dumb dog" Great pyrineese. Definately not a house pet.
But we have livestock for her to guard, which is why we got her. She's smart as a whip, and acts lazy, but let a varmit come around and see just how lazy she is. She loves to play, and the grandkids can get close to wearing her down, sometimes.
We had to teach her what she was supposed to guard, and what to run off. But she picked it up quickly.

We bought two Border Collies back in 07'. We live way out in the country. We did not train them. We ended up giving one away because they would run off together. The one we kept is a great watch dog and stays near home. She loves to herd anything with an engine or something that rotates like a lawn mower/tractor/5' tiller/wheelbarrow.
Herding dogs ain't bad with airplanes, either.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/stories/FURRY.HTM

Ron Wanttaja

Back