Any antique furniture experts here?

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
We're cleaning out mom's house. I brought home a cedar chest that dates from (I'm guessing) the 1920s at the latest. Here's the label that's on the bottom:

attachment.php

Any ideas?

Edit: This is all I could find doing an earlier search:

Q: I inherited an old cedar chest. The inside was in good shape, but the plain exterior was beaten up. I refinished the outside and put new copper straps on the top. It's beautiful now, and I would like to learn something about the maker. The bottom is marked "Roos, 967 W. 20th St., Chicago."

A: Edward Roos & Co. was founded in Chicago in 1916, but not at the address on your chest. The company was reorganized as Ed Roos Co. in 1918 and opened a large factory in Forest Park, Ill. It went out of business in 1951. The Chicago address on your chest was probably a retail outlet. At one point, the Roos firm claimed to be the largest manufacturer of chests in the world. Roos made many styles of chests, some of them elaborately decorated. Your plain chest is probably a later style. Refinishing usually decreases the value of a piece of furniture, but most Roos chests sell for less than $300, and yours was not useful in the condition it was in.

Attachments

• IMG_20140607_143208_545-small.jpg
    IMG_20140607_143208_545-small.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Back