Any Alarus/Zenith CH 2000 Owners Here

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Care to share your thoughts on the plane and what your maintenance (getting parts) has been like.

Thanks

I remember looking at one a few years ago. Price was shocking for what the bird could do although the avionics were nice. Anyway I bought a Grumman and called it a day.

I gave a little instruction in one. Know the current owner and the former. The two things that stood out about the plane the most were the fit and finish (lack of it) and the mediocre performance. I suspect the price of the airplanes reflects these things.

Neither person complained about getting parts or needing much. I don’t know more than that though, as I haven’t been tasked with maintaining one.

I brought a brand new one, straight from the factory into my flight school about 15 years ago. Flew it for two years. I started out loving it, but ended up hating it. I would not recommend one under any circumstances.

Could you tell us more? In what what why did the relationship go bad?

Could you tell us more? In what what why did the relationship go bad?
In addition to the one I had, I also had experience flying one at another flight school. Mine started fine for about six months, but after that became exceedingly difficult to start. We had 2 airbox fires from students overpriming in attempts at getting them started. It got to the point that we wouldn't allow students to take them on cross-country flights for fear that they couldn't be restarted at a remote airport.

Mine, new from the factory looked great for the first couple of years. Then all the paint started peeling off from the fuselage (large areas) and the factory refused to repaint it. Additionally, several rivets failed under the wing, directly under the fuel tank. The tank sits directly on the wing's skin with no further support. I wore a parachute and had someone follow me when I flew it back to the factory for repairs.

Additionally, the factory would not warranty the instruments and avionics. We didn't have trouble, but were disturbed to find that if we had a failure early on, we were on our own to get it fixed.

Finally, the aircraft was very unstable in pitch/roll using left rudder input. Just a bit too much rudder and it instantly tucked the nose and tried to snap roll.

In addition to the one I had, I also had experience flying one at another flight school. Mine started fine for about six months, but after that became exceedingly difficult to start. We had 2 airbox fires from students overpriming in attempts at getting them started. It got to the point that we wouldn't allow students to take them on cross-country flights for fear that they couldn't be restarted at a remote airport.

The one I flew had the same trouble. No major fires that I am aware of but it was very obvious that there had been at least one minor one (which likely went undetected at the time).

One on the field where I am at. I have never flown in one, but what I hear is that it is way underpowered for the airframe. No one likes it

Current Alarus owner here... As far as maintenance goes, it is not very well known as a make/model, but the shop I send it to has reviewed the manuals and have been maintaining it well for me. The engine (Lycoming O-235-N2C), airframe (mostly aluminum), flight controls, and instruments are standard enough for them to figure out. Zenair still supplies parts for this model and the only issue I had with it was the wait time on shipping (not their fault) which coming from Canada is about a month (during COVID, pre COVID was better).

I had issues with starting (especially cold starting). I got my magneto's timing fixed and was much better. For cold starting, I got a new battery (was an old one prior) and a better technique and have been good since. I went through two alternators and a voltage regulator before being stable, but don't think that it was an Alarus specific issue. Also, had a major leak show up on my oil cooler and ended up with oil over my left wing (thankfully just happened when in the pattern returning home) and fixed/replaced with no issue.

As far as performance and comfort, well... don't expect much... It is a trainer after all. I trained in one early on and I found one for a good deal, so I bought it to build hours and get the IFR rating (almost completed). It does what I ask it to because I don't ask much of it. I get 100 knots @ 6 GPH, not too bad although I have been asked to increase my speed a couple of times and had to explain I'm at max. Sturdy airframe and landing gear. Wide cabin with semi-comfortable seats. However, paint is old and the decals are peeling (I imagine the cost to paint is more than half the value of the plane). My concern would be how hard will it be to sell when the time comes...

Sorry, not sure about the protocol regarding commenting on old threads around here, but it lets me do it so here goes...

I had issues with starting (especially cold starting). I got my magneto's timing fixed and was much better. For cold starting, I got a new battery (was an old one prior) and a better technique and have been good since.

Do you mind sharing the "better technique"? I want to avoid engine fires if at all possible!

My concern would be how hard will it be to sell when the time comes...

Has the time come? From what I've read, it seems like the perfect time building aircraft and I am in the market!

Sorry, not sure about the protocol regarding commenting on old threads around here, but it lets me do it so here goes...

Do you mind sharing the "better technique"? I want to avoid engine fires if at all possible!

Has the time come? From what I've read, it seems like the perfect time building aircraft and I am in the market!

What was working better: fuel pump on, mixture off, throttle 1/4", then slowly advance mixture while starting engine until it catches. However, an update - after a rough mag check during run up that wouldn't clear and A&P cleaning the plugs didn't clear it either, I replaced all spark plugs (TEMPEST SPARK PLUG UREM37BY) and WOW. No problems starting whatsoever (back to fuel pump on, mixture full rich, and throttle 1/4").

As a matter of fact, the time is very close. Send me a PM and we can talk. Thanks.

Back