Any Air Traffic Controllers out there?

Pilotl1234

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
L.
When you were assigned to your location, was it where you listed for your "geographic preferences" or was it somewhere you didn't request to go to?

When you were assigned to your location, was it where you listed for your "geographic preferences" or was it somewhere you didn't request to go to?

I don't believe I had listed any "geographic preferences" before being assigned a location. I received a phone call offering a job at Chicago ARTCC, all I had to do was pass the initial nonradar course. Being unemployed at the time I accepted the offer.

I was listed and hired in the New England Region. Some of us on the list went to Boston Center, our primary desire. Others to VFR towers in the region, and one to FSS.

Edit: but that was in the mid 1970s

When I was hired in 2008 you picked up to 5 states. It had just switched over from pick a region. I've heard you can get offers to areas outside your geoprefs , but mine was in one of those 5 states.

Back