Any Aero Commander Darter owners?

painless

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Orear
I have a friend who is considering buying a darter to complete her ppl training in. Aircraft in question is no beauty contest winner, but is solid, no corrosion, new jugs. Downside is the panel needs a refresh to include adsb.

What Is the group’s impression on it serving as a good trainer for her? Any gotchas on maintenance/parts availability? From my observations it’s a flying tank and will be able to handle what she dishes out. Just don’t want her to buy a white elephant.

Got a quote on how long the panel refresh is going to take and how much it’s going to cost?

Steep earning curves there that I really wouldn’t advise someone take without full awareness of the costs associated.

Even the cheapest ADS-B is a is a few thousand dollars installed, but since we’re there, we might as well decide if IFR is in the future, so a couple of G5s to get rid of the vac system and a GPS nav/com and maybe an audio panel, too and real quick you’re at $30K on top of purchase price with a month or two of downtime.

From my observations it’s a flying tank...
It is that, alright. It has a steel-tube cage inside the aluminum fuselage. The Lark and Darter were intended to compete with the 172, but failed badly. Not many built, not a lot of stuff around for them. Darter last produced in 1969, Lark in 1971.

It has steel-tube main landing gear, too. Like a Cub or Champ, but much narrower and encased in an aluminum fairing. The springs are fiberglass leaves. I wouldn't want to have to find one of those.

Oh, and the oil pressure line from the engine to the firewall was a quarter-inch copper line. If it's still there, get it out and replace it with suitable hose. The copper work-hardens under vibration and breaks and all the oil goes overboard. DAMHIK.

Darter tanks are welded aluminum And subject to cracks and leaking.

Removal requires removing the wing and drilling rivets from the butt rib to

enable repair.

The Aircraft seem like prototypes that needed to have a lot of bugs worked out.

Parts would be a concern.

A deciding item could be how good the resale market is.

I saw that one for sale asking 53, seems like a terrible plane to learn in?

Does she have a good mechanic to look after it?

Also I think it is best to rent a trainer and concentrate on learning to fly and not worry about your own plane breaking down.

The Aircraft seem like prototypes that needed to have a lot of bugs worked out.

That essentially sums up the feeling I had about the two I’ve been around and worked on.

I wouldn’t want one, unless it was cheap enough that I could part it out and come out ahead, once a part that isn’t obtainable is needed.

All good points. Thanks for the responses. I’m leaning toward steering her away from the deal. I was concerned about maintenance etc costs as has been pointed out. $53,000 seems steep imho for this airplane. I was thinking more in the $35-40,00 range, knowing it’s history.
as to her owning the airplane she trains in, she is looking at it as a “cheaper” way toward the ppl. Equity in an airplane she owns vs paying rent for who knows how many hours. Only works if the airplane isn’t a money pit, as I fear this one could be…..

They seemed to remind me of a metallized Stinson.

Shoe type brakes ala TriPacer!

A concern would be downtime searching for parts.

Folks liked them though so I don’t think they are “ bad”.

One with a Mooney 201 paint scheme actually looked nice.

Might be worthwhile seeing what the insurance company will

cover it for.

If it was a Lark I'd go for it. Darter? Meh.

Only works if the airplane isn’t a money pit, as I fear this one could be…..
54+ years old. Not many made, so little market motivation for any aftermarket stuff.

I have seen PPL students buy airplanes to save money. It hasn't worked out yet.

I would not want to buy one. I personally know of a fella who had a Darter and it always seemed to be a basket of problems. Steer her away, you’ll thank me later.

Back