Any aces stink at flight sims?

True.

The Microsoft Flight Sim was originally developed by Sub Logic for Apple. Sub Logic created the Flight Sim 1.0 for the original Apple computer (the one built in a briefcase).

The first truly mass produced version was Flight Sim 2.0 for the Apple II line. I don’t recall the details, but MS essentially was able to start producing that program for PCs.

Eventually SubLogic disappeared and MS started producing Flight Sim for both PCs and Macs.
Yes. I remember SubLogic. I still have the charts/maps from that sim. They weren't official FAA sectionals, but good enough for flightsim use. That was actually my first version of it, for the C-64, before I got a IBM "compatible" and MSFS. It was SubLogic Flight Simulator II.

Then they came out with "Flight Assignment ATP" and "Jet". I think that was around the time when I realized that I had to move on from Commodore-64/Amiga-500, and get a DOS platform (IBM compatible/clone).

Apple was out of my price range as a teen/young adult. I've been with MS (DOS/Windows) ever since (with the exception of my ipad/iphone).

Last edited:
for the original Apple computer (the one built in a briefcase).
I'm not sure what Apple would be. The Apple I didn't have a case at all, just a naked circuit board. The Apple II was sort of a plastic box with an embedded keyboard and separate CRT sitting on top.

First, briefcase version was a later version of the Mac released in 1989. Wasn't overly successful and was replaced by the first PowerBooks.

I'm not sure what Apple would be. The Apple I didn't have a case at all, just a naked circuit board. The Apple II was sort of a plastic box with an embedded keyboard and separate CRT sitting on top.

First, briefcase version was a later version of the Mac released in 1989. Wasn't overly successful and was replaced by the first PowerBooks.
I was referring to the original naked circuit board. I don’t think they ever marketed/sold it, but they used to carry it (the naked circuit board) around in a leather briefcase to display.

I believe the Apple II was the first one the public could actually buy. I had a II+ when I was a kid.

...or depart in the same types of modes, e.g. autoroll or Bitburg roll...
2le04le.png

Nauga,
studied in the arts

I had the same issue with my first yoke (CH). Used to grease that thing up like it was a gear, lol. It lasted several years, but when the Saitek (now Logitech) yoke came out, I got one and never had that issue again. It has a stainless steel shaft, which moves very smoothly. My only issue was with the springs and arm, which gave it a return-to-center detent.
I hated that, so I modded the yoke by removing that mechanism and replacing it with some large rubber bands. That solution worked wonders!
I've seriously considered the Saitek yoke, but the reviews on Amazon are mixed, at best. It seems that its a cr@pshoot whether I get a good yoke, or not. I've also looked at high end yokes, but I just can't pull the trigger, esp. for the force feedback yoke at $1500 for the yoke, $250 for the handle, and about $75 total for the required software.

I did the Saitek spring/rubber band mod thing, and it was better. Problem is the throw is too short. From memory 2 or 3 inches fore/aft and minimal in roll. I went with a set of the Redbird hardware, and the yoke is within an inch of the fore/aft throw on the 182, and roll axis is commensurate.

But then again, I've gone a bit over the top....the 750/650 on the right touchscreen use the Garmin Trainer app data in the background, and match touch for touch what's in the 182. Great for practicing procedures.

Jim

Attachments

• 0501181116.jpg
    0501181116.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 10
I've seriously considered the Saitek yoke, but the reviews on Amazon are mixed, at best. It seems that its a cr@pshoot whether I get a good yoke, or not. I've also looked at high end yokes, but I just can't pull the trigger, esp. for the force feedback yoke at $1500 for the yoke, $250 for the handle, and about $75 total for the required software.

I shelled out a few more $$ for a PFC Yoke on eBay and I think it was worth it.

If you are a Viper guy, then I'll ask if your critique of the Redbird's unrealistic stall/spin performance wouldn't also apply to the F-16 sim in things like high-AOA or post-stall maneuvering, such as in a single circle fight or flat/rolling scissors.

I never did any of that in the Viper sim, but I know the F-15E sim was completely useless in simulating flight near the edges of the E-M diagram, and didn't have the same tendency to depart at high AOA (or depart in the same types of modes, e.g. autoroll or Bitburg roll) that the actual jet does.

Bitburg roll as in Bitburg AFB?

Referencing my comment in post#33.

A few days ago, I picked up a "Gaming Laptop" to enjoy my flightsim addiction away from home (lots of downtime on afternoon and night shift at work), while visiting family, etc. After over a week of research, reading reviews and watching YouTube videos, I went with the Acer Predator Helios 500. I wanted something on par with my desktop PC. With a core i7-8750H @ 2.2 GHz (boost clock 4.1GHz), 6 cores/ 12 threads. Intel's 8th gen i7 "Coffee Lake" processor. I love coffee:).

It comes with a Nvidia GTX-1070 GPU, which is slightly less powerful than the 1080Ti that I put in my desktop build, but it is a full GTX-1070. Not the lesser powered Max-Q version included in some of the other gaming laptops. Those are 10 to 15% slower. The CPU is more powerful than the one in my desktop, although most flightsims are not optimized to utilize the full potential of multiple cores/threads yet. But this thing is a beast! It packs a 17" 144Hz HD display and is VR ready. 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD.

A little larger and heavier than your average laptop but I wasn't looking for light and thin, I already have one of those:D.
Such a powerful machine, but I guess they had to skimp on something. In this case, it was RAM. Only 16GB DDR4, so I installed another 32GB.
So, far I've only installed DCS World, flew around a bit in the Ka-50 Blackshark, P-51D and Hornet. Performance and graphics are incredible!!!

So, after considering several contenders (Asus, Alienware, etc), overall, I'm happy I chose the Predator. Based on reviews, it has superior cooling with no overheating and CPU throttling issues that several others have. Next I'll install X-Plane 11 and Aerofly FS2 (Aerofly is incredible in VR). I haven't touched FSX or P3D in years, but I might load them up just for the heck of it.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-series-features/predatorhelios500
$2000 MSRP, $1700 Amazon.

Last edited:
Back