Anxiety

U

Unregistered

I have a son 22 years old. He is currently working as a flight instructor. Has about 500 hours logged. About a month ago he was flying a photo hop and was doing steep turns for about 45 minutes. He has never been motion sick but that day he was affected. He now is complaining of intense anxiety when solo, with student or even another pilot. He is almost to the point of washing out. He says when the anxiety starts he gets short of breath, light headed and sweaty. Advice would be very much appreciated.

45 minutes of steep turns would make about anybody sick. if thats what hes getting anxious about hes got nothing to worry about.

Good grief! I was fine with forty minutes of Chandelles or lazy eights. But, forty minutes of steep turns? That's enough for at least a half dozen sets. That's very inconsiderate of the student. As a general rule, there should be no more than three sets of any given maneuver; certainly steep turns being one of them.

If the student performs well, move on. If he's not performing well, you risk him feeling discouraged and developing a defeatist attitude. The CFI should encourage him with positive comments then move on to work on another maneuver. They can come back to the deficient maneuver during the next lesson.

The FAA places great emphasis on the CFI being a source of encouragement for the student. Pushing forty-fiver minutes of steep turns does the opposite.

Tony and Kenny I think you have missed the point and some of the facts here. It sounds as if the Son was doing steep turns for a photo shoot and not some Primary instruction. I can't picture the student forcing a CFI to continue steep turns. Remember the CFI is PIC.

40 min of steep turns is a LOT but it sounds as if the anxiety actually came up after the steep turn flight is that correct OP? It sounds as if it is affecting him NOW in his instruction in things other than steep turns.

To the OP if my understanding is correct I'd get him out of the plane now. The last thing you want is for him to have an anixiety attack while training a primary student who has never landed an airplane or who is on an XC. This could be disasterous for your son and the student.

Tell him to take a few days or weeks off. See if his anxiety subsides or is limited to flying. Then perhaps he goes up with another CFI. If he does not feel better its time for him to self ground and see someone till he gets it straightened out.

This is not worth his life or that of his student. My best wishes for a speedy recovery for him.

45 minutes of steep turns would make about anybody sick. if thats what hes getting anxious about hes got nothing to worry about.

Tony and Kenny I think you have missed the point and some of the facts here. It sounds as if the Son was doing steep turns for a photo shoot and not some Primary instruction. I can't picture the student forcing a CFI to continue steep turns. Remember the CFI is PIC.

sorry didnt mean to imply that i thought there was any sort of instruction going on. i also read it as written.

all im saying is if its the fact that he *almost* got sick thats causing the anxiety, he needs to chill out and realize that anyone doing that kind of manuvering for that length of time will get sick, unless they have a stomach of steel or something. nothing to get worried about.

He might want to study up on how the inner ear works to maintain balance, and try going for a ride in one of those motion simulators they have had at the AOPA open house, that demonstrates the effect of steady turning on equilibrium.

Knowing is half the battle! (G.I. Joe)

Ouch, I did badly misread that. My apologies.

Even so, that's way too long to be making steep turns. Not even experienced aerobatic pilots do that to themselves.

His motion sickness on the day of the steep turns was certainly understandable but his continued Anxiety is not.

I am not aware that inner ear issues even play a role in anxiety but Bruce will have to chime in there.

Well, I suspect he's afraid of getting so disoriented again, based on not understanding how it happened in the first place.

When I took a simulator ride in the spacial disorientation awareness simulator, I was astounded at how overwhelming the affect of the disorientation they induced was.

Basically what they did was put me in a closed box and started turning it with a rate of acceleration so slow, my body could not detect it. The fluid in my ears gradually picked up the spin, slowly enough again that I didn't notice it. Meanwhile, I looked at a computer screen and held controls to simulate straight, level flight.

Then they told me to ident. I turned my head to look for the transponder, and WHAMMO, major dizziness. Turning my head caused the spinning fluid to radically change direction throwing my balance completely off.

I'll bet thats happened to this guy. He did steady circles, fixed his head in one spot focused on a point, for long enough that his fluids in his ears were spinning pretty good w/o him knowing it. Soon as he turned his head: WHAMMO. But while REALLY flying...

I had been expecting it. If he wasn't, well if it were me, I'd need a change of underwear at least.

That sounds serious enough that I would think some form of counseling is needed to root out the cause and then figure out how to deal with it. Is it possible that something happened on that flight that he hasn't told you about?

I'm a software engineer and pilot, not a psychologist, so I'll shut up now...

I have a son 22 years old. He is currently working as a flight instructor. Has about 500 hours logged. About a month ago he was flying a photo hop and was doing steep turns for about 45 minutes. He has never been motion sick but that day he was affected. He now is complaining of intense anxiety when solo, with student or even another pilot. He is almost to the point of washing out. He says when the anxiety starts he gets short of breath, light headed and sweaty. Advice would be very much appreciated.
He needs to be deconditioned, and he can do this with a buddy. 90% of this sort of anxiety can be "retrained" out.

I guess when I'm doing Instrument training, and my stu does not believe me, the setup that I use for spatial disorientation is just about what you described. IT's unnerving. But I stop before real nausea. With limited resources, I would suggest he go out and do the ATP turns under the hood, and go quickly to straight and level, and retrain himself to rely on the gauges. The nausea and the anxiety will vanish. It just needs reinforcement.

I really appreciate everyones input. I told my son about the responses and he has posted also. "Anxiety2" I think maybe he will be able to more accurately descibe whats going on.
Thanks again.

Hi,

I also undergo anxiety when flying - but only on solos. I'm a student pilot, and probably have a bit more than 5 hours of solo.

My next lesson is solo to an uncontrolled airport. My instructor knows of my problem, and says that there's nothing wrong with my flying.

However, I make mistakes when I go up alone. My heart races and I feel butterflies in my stomach. I continue telling myself that I can do it, but bad thoughts continually come in to my head.

For my next solo, I'm worried about getting lost. Even though my plane has a GPS, I'm still worried. Does anyone else feel this way?

Hi,

I also undergo anxiety when flying - but only on solos. I'm a student pilot, and probably have a bit more than 5 hours of solo.

My next lesson is solo to an uncontrolled airport. My instructor knows of my problem, and says that there's nothing wrong with my flying.

However, I make mistakes when I go up alone. My heart races and I feel butterflies in my stomach. I continue telling myself that I can do it, but bad thoughts continually come in to my head.

For my next solo, I'm worried about getting lost. Even though my plane has a GPS, I'm still worried. Does anyone else feel this way?

I hear what you're saying. I don't usually worry too much about getting lost until I actually am good and lost. Then I use instruments and charts to find out exactly where I am and correct course as needed.

I feel anxiety and bad thoughts when flying, either alone or with others. Thoughts of the wings breaking off while doing repeated maneuvers with students in old aircraft is a frequent one or even the nuisance of either me or a student breaking a reg.

These bad thoughts remain present on the ground as well as flight, and have done so for over twenty years.

Last edited:
I had a student with difficulty adapting to the turbulence. It didn't take much for him to feel anxious. I found one of the things to help with this was simply go up and fly for the fun of flying. Once at altitude, he had the plane and I just picked out places and told him to fly us to that point. Keep us straight and level and just enjoy the sights along the way. He was much more relaxed after an hour of just flying the airplane.

Treat your XC the same. Pick a place you can go to, stop and enjoy a sandwich while there. Find the fun in it. You'll have to follow a flight plan and keep track of your position and fuel burned. But, that's something you'll always do only you add the paperwork.

For your second stop, make it a full stop. Give yourself a break and make it what flying should be, fun. If that seems much, plan a single two-leg XC then move to a three-leg XC.

OK, so I posted sometime ago about my anxiety when going solo.

I completed my solo to an uncontrolled airport today. It was alright. I did a few circuits but my landings were terrible!

I did my first and last long xc dual with my instructor a few days ago. It was so overwhelming! I had to fly the plane, talk on the radio, keep my planned heading, look for my checkpoints, and do several calculations. It was too much for me. Plus, my instructor kept on asking me questions every now and again.

Anyway, I got lost on that xc flight a number of times, and my instructor had to help me out. And this is serious - on the last leg, where I had to land at my home airport, I was about to enter the Control Zone without contacting the tower! It's because I wasn't sure of where I was.

Isn't this terrible? My instructor was a bit reluctant in signing me off for my solo xc, but she said that if I don't repeat the same mistakes, I should be alright. But I'm nervous as hell! I can't get extra hours because that's just how my college is. So, I've booked an extra dual xc (the same one) at a flying club.

Plus, I'm always nervous alone. Ugh! I can't do a xc on my own! It's too much!

I completed my solo to an uncontrolled airport today. It was alright. I did a few circuits but my landings were terrible!

I did my first and last long xc dual with my instructor a few days ago. It was so overwhelming! I had to fly the plane, talk on the radio, keep my planned heading, look for my checkpoints, and do several calculations. It was too much for me. Plus, my instructor kept on asking me questions every now and again.

Anyway, I got lost on that xc flight a number of times, and my instructor had to help me out. And this is serious - on the last leg, where I had to land at my home airport, I was about to enter the Control Zone without contacting the tower! It's because I wasn't sure of where I was.

Isn't this terrible? My instructor was a bit reluctant in signing me off for my solo xc, but she said that if I don't repeat the same mistakes, I should be alright. But I'm nervous as hell! I can't get extra hours because that's just how my college is. So, I've booked an extra dual xc (the same one) at a flying club.

Your post brings to mind one of my favorite quotes, I believe it was said by Henry Ford: "There are two kinds of people: Those who think they can, and those who think they can't. They're both right."

It sounds like you're psyching yourself out, which is NOT going to help with your level of anxiety. Flying the X/C again in the plane might be good, but before you do that, or any other flight - Think through the whole thing. "Chair fly" it, several times. Then, there will be fewer surprises and less of a chance you'll forget something.

If your instructor is comfortable signing you off, that means they have a certain level of confidence in you, and that you are capable of completing the flight safely. Stop talking yourself out of it!

Ok,

so my first solo long xc is tomorrow. I can't do this!!! I did my dual xc flight today, and it went well.

My instructor said that he feels I'll do alright. But I can't do it! I'm so nervous!

My headaches whenever I go on long flights, and I'm scared that I'd be too tired in the plane by myself.

This is what I fear: forgetting to richen the mixture on descent, not spotting the airports, getting lost, running out of fuel.

Ok,

so my first solo long xc is tomorrow. I can't do this!!! I did my dual xc flight today, and it went well.

My instructor said that he feels I'll do alright. But I can't do it! I'm so nervous!

My headaches whenever I go on long flights, and I'm scared that I'd be too tired in the plane by myself.

This is what I fear: forgetting to richen the mixture on descent, not spotting the airports, getting lost, running out of fuel.
Your instructor prepared you for this. He's aware of your anxiety and wouldn't send you on a task if you were not prepared. The fact that you recognize today went well speaks well of you seeing your own capability when you state on the surface you're not prepared.

Nervousness is not a bad thing. Take advantage of it. Use it to motivate you to pour over your planning. Chair fly your course and know what you expect to find along the course. Visualize the checkpoints. Verify the forecast weather along with winds aloft. Look at your expected fuel burn on each leg. Usually, first cross-country flights are short enough there is no need for refuel during the trip. But, if you feel it will ease your mind to get fuel during a stop, do it.

In fact, I'd even suggest a shut down and short period of relaxation on your first leg. Reflect back on the first leg and think about what you did or didn't do then how you could make a change to the next leg. There may be no change needed at all. If you did it right the first time, just do that again.

You mention headaches during long flights. How do you handle local solo flights? Is it a matter of nervousness affecting you? Could it be the headsets not being comfortable and still too much noise? Perhaps try to borrow a set of ANR headsets if you don't have any.

The fact that you're evaluating yourself and questioning your ability is a good thing. It doesn't mean you're incompetent. It means you're being a safe pilot. As you build experience and skill, that feeling continues to decline but never let it decline to the point you feel there's no need for self-evaluation.

Enjoy your first flight out there. I'll look forward to hearing how it went.

You said today's dual x-c went well. Good.
You said your instructor said you'll do alright. Good.
You said your nervous. Good.

That makes you like 95% of the rest of us here.

Get on the radio tomorrow and request flight following. Inform ATC you are a student pilot. They will bring comfort.

Use your checklists so you don't forget to richen the mixture or anything else that may bring angst.

Enjoy the flight, it will be a memory you won't soon forget!

I've been lost numerous times on dual flights. I just don't want to get lost again.

Whenever I go solo, something happens that I have never encountered before. I'm afraid that it'll happen again, and that I won't know what to do. It always happens on the radio (ATC giving an instruction that I'm not sure of).

And today, on this xc country flight, I didn't pick up some important information. Like, at one of the controlled airports, the ATIS said active was 21 so I planned an approach to that runway. Then, when I contacted tower, they gave me instructions to land on 15 but I hadn't realized that they wanted me on 15 instead of 21. My instructor helped me out.

I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight. Or maybe I'll be able to get only a few hours of sleep. I have to get up at 4 a.m tomorrow to plan the flight. Is it normal to be this afraid?

Doesn't seem normal to me. I remember being nervous, and eager, but not scared.

However, your instructor is a better judge of your skill level than you are. How many hours of solo time do you have? How many times have you gone out solo to practice manuevers?

?!? Does he drink coffee? If so, quit, if not, start, seriously. The alkaloys in Chocolate can help as well. If he's fretting over getting motion sick, well, 40 minutes of steep turns while doing photography, that'll get you. Oh yeah, have him checked for inner ear infections.

I've been lost numerous times on dual flights. I just don't want to get lost again.

Whenever I go solo, something happens that I have never encountered before. I'm afraid that it'll happen again, and that I won't know what to do. It always happens on the radio (ATC giving an instruction that I'm not sure of).

And today, on this xc country flight, I didn't pick up some important information. Like, at one of the controlled airports, the ATIS said active was 21 so I planned an approach to that runway. Then, when I contacted tower, they gave me instructions to land on 15 but I hadn't realized that they wanted me on 15 instead of 21. My instructor helped me out.

I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight. Or maybe I'll be able to get only a few hours of sleep. I have to get up at 4 a.m tomorrow to plan the flight. Is it normal to be this afraid?
How well have you perfected use of VORs? Use them in your XC to verify your course or your point along the course.

If you've gotten lost, somewhere along the course you lost track of your position. Sometimes, it's the result of too much sight seeing. Sometimes, it's the result of not clearly identifying your visual checkpoints. You could be picking checkpoints closer than reasonably distanced and overflying them while computing data from the previous point.

How far apart are your points? Ideal is between fifteen and twenty nautical miles apart. You can verify a point by cross checking it's position to a VOR radial.

If things are happening too fast for you, slow the airplane down. Nothing says you have to fly at the maximum speed possible. Pick a performance setting for a slower TAS. Recalculate your wind correction, ground speed and fuel burn. What airplane are you using for the training?

On your flight plan, are you indicating "Student Pilot" in the remarks section? Also, when you call up for flight following, indicate you are a student pilot. Controllers will almost certainly be more patient and provide you whatever guidance for the safety of your flight. Many controllers are pilots who have been in your same position at some time in their lives. As you get passed off to a new controller, indicate the same information when you call in. It's as simple as "Cessna 1234, student pilot, level five thousand, five hundred." Or, whatever your altitude may be. You're telling the controller who you are, your purpose (Student XC) and verifying your altitude. If the previous controller didn't indicate you're a student pilot in the hand-off, you're doing yourself and the controller a favor by stating it again.

When you talk to ATC, have a pen in your hand. Be prepared to write down whatever information they give you. If it's an altimeter setting, write it down then repeat it to the controller. If approach or tower indicates to land on a different runway than what ATIS was stating in use, write it down and repeat it. Always write information down you can refer back to. If instructions are not clear, ask the controller to repeat the instruction.

I think you'll do better than you expect of yourself. This will be a good confidence booster.

If it helps, just remember that during dual flights you're instructor is there to help you learn. Getting lost is part of learning but yes it can be very scary. Keep in mind that on dual flights, the instructor is not going to let you get so far lost that it causes a potential threat such as running out of fuel. These guys have made many great suggestions such as using your VORs. If there is one on or near your airport, thats even better because then you just tune it in and fly to the VOR. Many airports also have distinct features such as a water tower, a big lake, or just an odd empty spot in the middle of a city. Use what ever works for you.

Think of this as a learning experience and an adventure. Even adventures have scary moments. Just remember that ALL pilots have encountered moments where they weren't sure, you're not the first. Every time you fly, you will also always learn something new. Sometimes its noticeable, sometimes not, but you will learn something. This is especialy true for new concepts like flying by yourself. Pilots encounter it again in instrument, and also in flight instructing. It's a never ending learning experience, but its also a never ending adventure! There is an old saying that goes, "a pilots certificate is a license to learn."

Oh, yea, ATC is notorious for changing their mind. Kinda have to just get used to it but if you don't understand, always ask ATC for clarification. Always listen closely for not just runway changes but also other airplanes and what they're doing. It's tough at first but you'll get the hang of it.

During my first solo cross country, I became momentarily positionally unsure (aka lost). I couldn't find any of my checkpoints. I even tried crossing VORs but was still a little unsure. I began to sweat knowing that even though my mind and all I knew was behind me, the airplane was still going forward. So I reverted back to the one thing my CFI did stress, call for help. So, I calmed down and found my frequencies for the tower I intended to land at. Thankfully I was just within range. Tower gave me a heading and my flight was saved. After that, I used flight following going home as a back up but didn't have a problem. The reason for my disorientation ended up being that I had forgotten to reset the DG, it was reset for my flight home. The problem was, this flight had scared me so much that I refused to attempt too many long cross countries for at least 2 years afterwards until I overcame my fear during my commercial training. What's awesome is because of my experiences, I think I'm a better pilot and once I'm a CFI, be able to help students with similar issues. My point of this is that if you're afraid of something, and its okay to be afraid a little bit during training, don't let it sit there and haunt your mind. You HAVE to work on it. And once you have the needed training, most of your confidence will come down to doing what you fear most, on your own. You'll feel better afterwards. Believe me, I know.

As fear is very subjective I can't answer if this much fear is "normal". However, most of your written concerns can be handled with flight following and advising ATC you are a student. Do this on initial call up. For example: xyz departure, bugsmasher 123, student pilot off abc airport direct def airport on first solo x-c, request flight following. Don't be bashful or too proud to ask for help. ATC is there to assist us whether we have 20 hours or 20,000 hours.

As I stated before, enjoy the flight, it will be a memory to last forever!

Check your PM's as well. Can't PM due you being unregistered, sorry.

Are you allowed to have a GPS on the flight? Is there one in the panel? If so I suppose you can use it Ask your CFI if not then bring a hand held and put it in a taped up paper bag. Just rip it open if you really really can't figure out where you are.

I have to tell ya though you keep saying " Your Can't " With that attidude you won't and you shouldn't. Start saying "I can" and if you get lost use it to learn what to do next time. I am more concerned with your negative attitude than your nervousness. I get nervous but don't find myself saying I can't. If you really really beleive you can't then don't get in the plane.

Last edited:
But I'm terrified!!!
I don't want to sound harsh, here - it's not my goal to smack you and I hope you do well with all this.

that said...

You have a choice in all of this. You can do it. You can quit. You can feed this thing like you're doing, or you can work at being ok. The fact is, if you get lost, so what? It's not like getting lost causes the plane to fall out of the sky. Nothing happens - you just keep flying - which is what you are already doing - and call up ATC on the radio - which you've already been doing - and follow the C's - confess and comply.

THEY know where you are. They can get you where you need to go! You won't be in a position where you have to save yourself, they'll give you vectors and you'll just fly 'em - just like your instructor did. "lost" means nothing. It doesn't even get you into trouble. That's why the lord made flight following and "student pilot" announcements.

So getting lost ain't a problem. What's the worst that can come out of that? You do your xc over again? Well, hell, that's just flying - that's what we're in this to do, isn't it?

The only real problem I'm seeing here is your failure to take responsibility for yourself - including your emotions. If you keep up with the flying, you'll be pilot in COMMAND. Which, of course, means you're going to have to start taking charge. And the sooner, the better, for your own peace of mind. Of course, you don't have to - you can quit. That's easy, and cheaper, to boot. But if you want to be a pilot, you need to stop encouraging this fear in yourself, stop working yourself up into a frenzy, get up, eat breakfast and just go do the damn thing. It's not the big deal you have it blown up to be in your head. Feelings are not facts. It feels terrifying, but you aren't terrified. Except in your head. Hell, how could you be? You're safe at home, typing on the computer! You're anticipating - and the wrong stuff, to boot.

Listen, you aren't going to be able to NOT be afraid. That's lunacy - hell, look what you're doing! Of course it's scary - but it's handle-able. So if you can't keep the fear out of the plane (and trust me, you don't want to get rid of it entirely), then tell it it can come along, but it has to ride in the back of the plane. Only PILOTS get to be in the front left seat, and that's where YOU are! :yes:

Use your checklists - keep it in your hand and look at it frequently to see what the next thing is - and get to flying. Once you start, it'll all smooth out.

Do it or don't. Really it's your choice. I know where all the profit is to be found for you - you know it, too. We ALL know it. Quitting won't be a profit - you'll lose a lot by it. Me? I vote for taking a deep breath, banishing your fear into the back of the plane where it can ride by itself, dammit, and do what you've been doing, flying the plane.

Good luck in your decision.

Doesn't sound like you're enjoying yourself, ever consider aviation might just not be your cup of tea? You say college, are you in a professional pilot program? If so, I seriously suggest you read this and really really think about it. The FO/SIC was my buddy Matt Sailor, the last words on the CVR were "WRONG FOOT!". I was actually quite disappointed by Matt, after the second time he told the captain to lower the nose, he should have took over. He had done a lot of ME instruction and knew how to go about it, it was his first flight with this captain though and he didn't know the guy was completely incompetent and a week away from quitting aviation to take a job as a manager at Wal Mart. Consider all this well, aviation is not for everyone, and professional aviation even more so. Don't go kill a bunch of people.

Last edited:

You certainly don't sound quite ready. Have your CFI sit with you in the cockpit, dial in some relatively random needles on the VORs and make sure you can figure out where they say you are. Review emergency lost proceedures regarding the FSS as well.

Headsets can cause headaches as you keep them on longer, as was mentioned earlier. This fades as your head becomes harder from regular aviation.

Thanks for your posts.

Unfortunately, my xc got cancelled today, due to high crosswinds.

I haven't been taught VORs yet. Yes, there is GPS onboard, and I'm flying a Cessna 172. Also, haven't learned "flight following" yet. I don't know how much ATC could help because I'll be flying to uncontrolled/MF airports.

Anyways, I'd like to comment on one of the posts about "not killing a bunch of people" and "aviation may not be your cup of tea".

I'm not a quitter. I work hard, and I always have. I like to fly, just not alone. I'll use my nervousness to my advantage - I'll be extra cautious during walkarounds, and I'll learn as much as I can about my airplane. Thanks for the post, Henning. I feel challenged.

Thanks for your posts.

Unfortunately, my xc got cancelled today, due to high crosswinds.

I haven't been taught VORs yet. Yes, there is GPS onboard, and I'm flying a Cessna 172. Also, haven't learned "flight following" yet. I don't know how much ATC could help because I'll be flying to uncontrolled/MF airports.

Anyways, I'd like to comment on one of the posts about "not killing a bunch of people" and "aviation may not be your cup of tea".

I'm not a quitter. I work hard, and I always have. I like to fly, just not alone. I'll use my nervousness to my advantage - I'll be extra cautious during walkarounds, and I'll learn as much as I can about my airplane. Thanks for the post, Henning. I feel challenged.

If you haven't learned how to use VOR's or flight following, you are not, IMNSHO, ready for your solo x-c. I cannot believe your CFI has not taught you these things prior to your solo x-c. I am now curious as to what else you may be ignorant (it the true sense of the word) of. Prior to my solo x-c I used FF and VOR triangulation regularly with my CFI aboard.

ATC can help assure you are on the right track to make it to your destination as you will be on their radar.

VOR verified check points is part of flying XC's. It's hard to believe you did a dual XC without using VOR's.

I'm not dinging you, but I'm with Kevin. There are a series of things that should be taught before signing a student off for long XC. That would certainly include radio navigation (e.g. VORs and GPS) and flight following. In fact, we mandate that students use both flight following and a VFR Flight Plan on their long cross countries. That way, the instructor can always make a call to ATC to find out where they are! :yes: I'd also agree with Adam and others that you have to be in charge. It's alright to have some fear and anxiety up there; it keeps us from doing stoopid things! But you do need to have some confidence, too. Not adding much beyond what the others have said, but this should be doable after you get some training in what I consider gaps.

I'd be interested in seeing the syllabus your instructor is using and seeing where you've completed all the tasks that are prerequisites for the sols XC. In fact, that's something that I'd ask the instructor about. "Show me where we are on the syllabus" and then identify any areas you aren't comfortable in.

I'll be taught VOR after a few more lessons, but certainly not before my solo xc.

We're not supposed to be taught GPS before this solo either, but since I felt nervous, my instructor showed me how to use it.

Basically, we navigate using map alone. My classmates didn't use VOR, flight following, or the GPS during their solo.

Yeah, I have to be confident. It's just this solo xc, and after this, I'll be relaxed. The only solos after would be to the practice area, and after that will be the PPL and then I'll be doing xc with other students (which I'm very much looking forward to!).

I've always been pessimistic. I'm a straight A student, but I always think I'll fail a test or a quiz, or that I'd get a B in something. I'll start thinking positive, maybe it'll become a habit after a while.

I'll be taught VOR after a few more lessons, but certainly not before my solo xc.

That's not just stupid, it's insane. While I completely agree one of your solo cross counries should be on pure pilotage, I don't think it should be your first, nor do I think you should ever be sent on a cross country without the knowledge of the radio nav systems in the plane. Now my question for you is, "Why do you need to be shown this?" You should have all the materials at your disposal to teach yourself the usage of these systems.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back