Anxiety medication...

Rick h

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rick H
First of all, Hello, I am new to this forum.
I have recently begun my journey to obtain my Private Pilot Cert, a couple of lessons in, my instructor started talking to me about getting a medical cert... the issue is I have been on medication for anxiety for years, I am 46 and been on them for about 15-20 years, I have been on several different ones over the years, and I am currently on Wellbutrin (not allowed it seems). I have been talking to my Dr and I can switch to one of the 4 allowed SSRIs. I have read so many horror stories I am not sure if I should even attempt... I guess I am looking for some advise or if anyone has had a similar situation with any levels of success.

Thank you all for your time!

@Rick h .... Fortunately, one of the Senior AME's who frequent PoA is Dr. Bruce Chien. Dr. Chien is one of the 4 AME's who authored the SSRI Protocol. Dr. Chien is very helpful in situations like yours. He is usually on the forum later in the evenings. So be patient and you will eventually get some guidance.

The other Senior AME is Dr. Lou Fowler. While he wasn't one of the SSRI Protocol authors, he does know how to help airmen such as your self and also super friendly and willing to help like Dr. Chien.

Pinging Doctor's Lou and Bruce for their input. @lbfjrmd @bbchien

This is a long arduous pathway; there are 630 pilots on it however, and they are Captains and GA guys.
Nobody in OKC will give you a Decision path 2 (discontinuation + 90 days) with that history.

You can send me a message via my byline website, look to the lower left. Here's some (not) "Easy reading...."

Attachments

• SSRI.modifications03.12.14.pdf
    255.4 KB · Views: 305
  • SSRI.pdf
    12.3 KB · Views: 334
  • ssri_initial(certificationAid03.29.17)07.2018.pdf
    58 KB · Views: 207
This is a long arduous pathway; there are 630 pilots on it however, and they are Captains and GA guys.
Nobody in OKC will give you a Decision path 2 (discontinuation + 90 days) with that history.

You can send me a message via my byline website, look to the lower left. Here's some (not) "Easy reading...."

Thank you Dr. Chien, I will send you an email via your website tomorrow. Honestly I was worried there was no chance at all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back