Antique plane replicas

Tomahawk674

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tomahawk674
I watched Fly Boys the other day, which got me re-interested in WWI aircraft. (I thought the movie was really bad though).

I knew there's been some Fokker Dr1 replicas, but I didn't know of this latest one, which is apparently very authentic. This guys also built a Fokker VII, which hasn't flown yet according the this page:

www.aerodrome.se

There's some vids on the site.

I watched Fly Boys the other day, which got me re-interested in WWI aircraft. (I thought the movie was really bad though).

I knew there's been some Fokker Dr1 replicas, but I didn't know of this latest one, which is apparently very authentic.
Knew a guy with a Fokker Dr1 replica. Wasn't very fun to fly...no stability, and the middle wing blocked forward visibility. Everybody loved it when he flew into a fly-in, but the plane was slow, drafty, and blind.

One way to get a "WWI replica warbird" is to modify a more-modern airplane to look like one. This gives you a sport plane that you don't have to fight to keep flying straight. I particularly like this one:
junkers6.JPG

This is a near-stock Bowers Fly Baby, with the changes primarily cosmetic (different rudder, dummy cylinder heads, and "Hans"). Hans is a surface-mounted head and shoulders. It and the machine gun can be quickly removed and stowed behind the pilot's seat.

Ron Wanttaja

Knew a guy with a Fokker Dr1 replica. Wasn't very fun to fly...no stability, and the middle wing blocked forward visibility. Everybody loved it when he flew into a fly-in, but the plane was slow, drafty, and blind.

One way to get a "WWI replica warbird" is to modify a more-modern airplane to look like one. This gives you a sport plane that you don't have to fight to keep flying straight. I particularly like this one:
junkers6.JPG

This is a near-stock Bowers Fly Baby, with the changes primarily cosmetic (different rudder, dummy cylinder heads, and "Hans"). Hans is a surface-mounted head and shoulders. It and the machine gun can be quickly removed and stowed behind the pilot's seat.

Ron Wanttaja

That's ridiculously cool.

:yesnod:

I'm actually a fan of historically accuracy when it comes to replicas/recreations, that's why I found it so interesting. I also understand that many pilots lost their life just trying to fly planes like these. This guy just doesn't fly around in circles for his displays:

There are some Spad replicas that fly at Platte Valley, CO, 18V. I've been in the pattern with them. Pretty cool.

I watched that too, a couple of days ago. Like you said...not a really good movie and lots of computer generated graphics, but kinda fun nonetheless. My wife's grandfather was a pilot in France during WWI and had a flying circus here in Iowa after the war, so I enjoyed the movie in spite of its flaws.

There are a few of the Neuports for sale try GA news or Barnstormers. I love the flying scenes in flyboys, and just ignore that the plane are not using the right tactics or are even of yrs that would have even faced each other in combat. Fast foward solves the Luciane problem, but I just love the scenes with the crusty French Col. The rescue , the Medal & Beagle's "trial". Can't miss Skinner drinking with Lowry or getting his head rubbed either. DaveR

Back