Antique Airplane Club/Bayport Aerodrome Soc.

joeparrilla

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JoeP
So is anyone around here members of the AACGNY or the Bayport Aerodrome Society? I am looking for a way to get more acquainted with my favorite era of aviation and just be around more antique airplanes and pilots.

Are these pretty active and large groups? Do they do a lot of meeting/flying?

They've always been a snooty bunch(Bayport, don't know the other folks.) Don't take my word for it go meet them.

They've always been a snooty bunch(Bayport, don't know the other folks.) Don't take my word for it go meet them.

So far most of the pilot community that I have met have been super friendly. I guess everyone cant be great. Thats unfortunate.

I grew up about a mile from the Bayport Aerodrome and started flying at age 15 from Islip if that tells you anything. Don't take some guy on the internets word for it, go meet them. Fancy hangar with all the cool stuff is at the North end of the field. I guess you could walk there from the airport entrance otherwise it is a roundabout drive from one end to the other.

I grew up about a mile from the Bayport Aerodrome and started flying at age 15 from Islip if that tells you anything. Don't take some guy on the internets word for it, go meet them. Fancy hangar with all the cool stuff is at the North end of the field. I guess you could walk there from the airport entrance otherwise it is a roundabout drive from one end to the other.

Cool, I fly out of Macarthur... maybe Ill drop in next time I am in the area.

Bayport is a true gem.. Go down there on certain Sundays and you will find almost all of the hangar doors open, tons of interesting antique aircraft and pilots and owners very willing to chat and tell you about their planes.

Of course some of them will be busy with projects or paying more attention to there own group of friends but this should not be considered unfriendly or make you feel unwelcome.

Go down there and check it out.. You will have a great time, especially if you love that era of aviation.

Most antique aircraft owners really like anyone who is interested. Anyone who came up to me when I had a Stearman was always welcome and if they wanted to do it I'd give em a ride around the patch. I recently visited tom blairs hangar in maryland where he keeps among others, a spitfire and a p51 both in pristine condition. The people there could not have been nicer. Go for it!

Back