Antibiotic question

jedi93

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TS
Got seen for a bug bite today by a PA and she prescribed me Sulfamethoxazole-trimethopin (bactriM DS). As a student pilot first I want to make sure this is legal and will never ding me for a 1st class. Second; am a safe to fly if not acting as PIC with a CFI?

No problem with bactrim itself. It's all a matter of the underlying condition it was prescribed for.

You had a bug bite today and it progressed to an infection that warranted antibiotics? If not, your PA is irresponsible in their indiscriminate use of antibiotics.

I'm not an AME and can't answer the first question, but as for the second, you are responsible for determining your fitness to fly. You're legal to do whatever if you're not PiC, but be aware of any side effects that may affect your ability to learn. Your health comes first.

No problem with bactrim itself. It's all a matter of the underlying condition it was prescribed for.

You had a bug bite today and it progressed to an infection that warranted antibiotics? If not, your PA is irresponsible in their indiscriminate use of antibiotics.
Yes, had a spider bite more than likely. Noticed it 2 days ago, but went in today as the swelling and redness still was there. PA said it was infected and put me on a 7 day dose to clear it up. Just wanted to make sure before taking it I didn’t mess anything up. Looked it up on the FAA website and it said handled on a case by case basis. Figured that might be for people on it long term, but wanted to make sure before ever getting it filled.

Last edited:
I'm not an AME and can't answer the first question, but as for the second, you are responsible for determining your fitness to fly. You're legal to do whatever if you're not PiC, but be aware of any side effects that may affect your ability to learn. Your health comes first.
Thank you for this insight.

Back