Anti-Virus for Win2K?

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
Is there still a freeware anti virus program that supports Windows 2000?
My laptop at work, which spends a lot of it's life on the road and in hotels has been riding bareback for a while and I think I need to get protection. AVG and Antivir don't support it, and those were my two top favorites. Upgrading this laptop to Win XP is not an option as it wouldn't even run the operating system, let alone the anti virus program. :mad2:

AVG's page says AVG 9.0 supports Win 2k.

BTW, not to be a downer, but Win2k is about to lose support in a few months (i.e. no more patches?). AV or not running Windows without patches terrifies me.

BTW, not to be a downer, but Win2k is about to lose support in a few months (i.e. no more patches?). AV or not running Windows without patches terrifies me.

One would hope that after 10 years they would have patched it up well enough to work OK...

I've still got a box running W2K. It's a dedicated system for a particular application (not accessing the internet), not used for day-to-day work (runs a specific server). I guess I could update it to XP pro, but it currently works fine and is behind a firewall on a local network. Need a VPN to get into the box.

I'm not overly concerned.

I've still got a box running W2K. It's a dedicated system for a particular application (not accessing the internet), not used for day-to-day work (runs a specific server). I guess I could update it to XP pro, but it currently works fine and is behind a firewall on a local network. Need a VPN to get into the box.

I'm not overly concerned.
Ok. Properly managed firewall = non-issue. Otoh cheap router passing random stuff to local network on most ports = trojan.

True story. First time I installed Win2k I got a trojan with 1 hr before I installed apps or even openned IE. Messenger service was taking commands from anyone before I even installed patches.
Has more holes than a wino's drawers.
It's just a side effect of attempting backwards compatibility to decade old apps.

Ok. Properly managed firewall = non-issue. Otoh cheap router passing random stuff to local network on most ports = trojan.

True story. First time I installed Win2k I got a trojan with 1 hr before I installed apps or even openned IE. Messenger service was taking commands from anyone before I even installed patches.

Inbound ports blocked. Firewall is a VPN endpoint. IP address not associated with name. Ping disabled. Local network stands alone from other systems, which are on separate network.

Ubuntu Linux is a pretty good antivirus...

;)
Is running Linux on older Windoze laptop a good idea? I have an older laptop that just sits in a drawer and does nothing. I wonder if it would be a good candidate to load Linux just to play around with it. Or if the performance of older laptops are such that running Linux would overload the capabilities of it.

Is running Linux on older Windoze laptop a good idea? I have an older laptop that just sits in a drawer and does nothing. I wonder if it would be a good candidate to load Linux just to play around with it. Or if the performance of older laptops are such that running Linux would overload the capabilities of it.

Puppy Linux is guaranteed to work...I keep it installed on a 256mb flashdrive on my keys for all the utilities and things it has built in.

There's some derivative of Ubuntu that's optimized for lower end hardware, but I can't seem to remember it...

Back