Anti-noise goof targets planes with laser. F/A-18 targets him back.

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
In the cockpit of his F/A-18 Super Hornet last April, Lt. Cmdr. Joseph Furco switched on a device mounted on his helmet and zeroed in on a man pointing a potentially deadly weapon into the sky, court documents said.

His target wasn’t an insurgent in Afghanistan with a rocket launcher, though. It was a heavy-equipment mechanic in Virginia Beach with a laser pointer.

Federal agents tracked down Bruce with the help of Furco’s targeting skills, the observations of several other pilots and a series of phone calls placed from Bruce’s personal cell phone.

According to court documents, at least 10 Navy pilots reported seeing lasers emanating from the area of Bruce’s home in the Princess Anne Plaza neighborhood of Virginia Beach between Dec. 29, 2011, and June 5, 2012.

In addition to using the laser, Bruce repeatedly called the NAS Oceana Noise Complaint line to complain about the jets. In some of the 21 calls he made between March 1 and May 15, he threatened violence.

“One day someone’s gonna blow your ass up, start taking potshots at your (expletive) precious jets,” Bruce said in one messages, court documents said.

On June 5, Naval Criminal Investigative Service agents staked out Bruce’s home. Before serving a search warrant at the residence, they watched as Bruce walked outside and trained a laser at a passing jet.

http://hamptonroads.com.nyud.net/2012/07/virginia-beach-man-pleads-guilty-shining-laser-jet

FOX ONE!

A creative prosecutor could have a field day with this tool. I'm thinking this guy is a domestic terrorist who needs a vacation in Guantanamo. :yesnod:

Gitmo is a terrible call, IMHO, even if it accepted new inmates. Firstly, he's going to be under the intense pressure by Muslim lawers, who are basically the only ones who are allowed visitation. Pretty soon he'd be converted to Islam and spend his waking hours dreaming of revenge. And then he's gong to be let out early. What do you think he's going to do then? Simple domestic terrorists are fairly harmless, unless they have access like Major Hassan. How many people have the Jeep Jihadi killed? But with the valuable terrorist contacts acquired at Gitmo, he's going to be a potent (and willing) canon fodder. Secondly, Club Gitmo is exceedingly luxurious, as far as prisons go. I don't think he deserves it.

We used to have a guy in southern Alabama complain about our Army helicopter noise. He lived just beyond one of our cooridors to the north so I imagine he did get a lot of noise. Anyway he threatened with violence stating he did own a shotgun. That area soon became a no-fly for us. I always thought it would be good tactics training for the students before we sent them off to the real shooting!:)

Gitmo is a terrible call, IMHO, even if it accepted new inmates. Firstly, he's going to be under the intense pressure by Muslim lawers, who are basically the only ones who are allowed visitation. Pretty soon he'd be converted to Islam and spend his waking hours dreaming of revenge. And then he's gong to be let out early. What do you think he's going to do then? Simple domestic terrorists are fairly harmless, unless they have access like Major Hassan. How many people have the Jeep Jihadi killed? But with the valuable terrorist contacts acquired at Gitmo, he's going to be a potent (and willing) canon fodder. Secondly, Club Gitmo is exceedingly luxurious, as far as prisons go. I don't think he deserves it.

The latest local "catches" have been "good ole White Christian boys". There's some local news about a couple of guys on the heels of the Colorodo movie guy. One guy in Crofton, MD repportedly had 6,000 rounds of ammo presumably to off his co-workers if he got fired from his job.

Personally, I think that since many people don't realize the dangers, the penalty should be stiff enough to get everyone's attention, but should also take into consideration intent.

That is generally speaking, however. This particular yahoo had intent. Fry him.

Wouldn't that be Fox 3??? Air to mud? Gee, with the fuss over this in the article I thought they designated him and locked him up . . . instead of staked him out!

Re: Environmental activist targets planes with laser. F/A-18 targets him back.

Anti-noise goof? Let's call him what he is.

Don't forget Oklahoma City.

Wouldn't that be Fox 3??? Air to mud? Gee, with the fuss over this in the article I thought they designated him and locked him up . . . instead of staked him out!

Fox 1 = Aim-7, Fox 2 = Aim 9, Fox 3 = Aim 120...all air to air officially...air to ground is usually a Maverick which is "Magnum".

Heard of this case. That is all I will say. Having been lased around the pattern at NTU, I will say that this is not that uncommon unfortunately.

Fox 1 = Aim-7, Fox 2 = Aim 9, Fox 3 = Aim 120...all air to air officially...air to ground is usually a Maverick which is "Magnum".

To be specific,
Fox-1 = semi-active radar missile
Fox-2 = heater/IR missile
Fox-3 = active radar missile

The weapons you mentioned are correct, but theoretically Fox-2 for example could apply to a different weapon than the AIM-9 if we did have another type of heater in the inventory. "Magnum" is an anti-radiation missile, so currently the HARM. "Rifle" is the Mav.

Maybe the appropriate punishment is to put these people in a house of mirrors filled with laser lights and a couple of aggressive dogs. Let's see how they get out of a serious situation without getting hurt.
Oh... And film the results. Kind of like a real life Running Man. Reality TV at it's finest. THAT I'd watch.

We're still using the Sparrow? God I hope not . . . I heard everything was fire and forget now . . . the thought of having to radar designate someone used to give me the willies - tracking for the missile flight to ensure reaching out and touching who you wanted to hit seemed so archaic even back when thats all there was.

We're still using the Sparrow? God I hope not . . . I heard everything was fire and forget now . . . the thought of having to radar designate someone used to give me the willies - tracking for the missile flight to ensure reaching out and touching who you wanted to hit seemed so archaic even back when thats all there was.

You still have to use the radar to shoot a Rammer. That being said, the AIM-7F/M is still in the inventory, in spite of it's age/outdated technology.

SM-2 is the most widely used to my knowledge, but I believe the Sea Sparrow is still in service as well.
Wow, and thanks. I would have guessed they were phased out by now, but that they're still around is impressive.

You still have to use the radar to shoot a Rammer. That being said, the AIM-7F/M is still in the inventory, in spite of it's age/outdated technology.

once - but its fire and forget once its designated . . .

No 7's for us anymore. 120's, 9x only in the Eagle now. I kinda liked the old '7 but I don't miss it enough to keep it around.

No 7's for us anymore. 120's, 9x only in the Eagle now. I kinda liked the old '7 but I don't miss it enough to keep it around.

Yeah, I heard the AF is completely out of the AIM-7 game. I do enjoy the -9X, absolutely phenomenal weapon.

Last edited:
NATO Sea Sparrow is still VERY much in use and no plans for it to go away any time soon.
I was curious about it mainly because a Nat'l Geographic following a Nimitz class CVN (Reagan, maybe?). In some shots, her defensive systems can be seen, but where I recall (from the books my father amassed) seeing Sea Sparrow box launchers, there is a different launch system, what looks more like (yet still dissimilar to) the single rail launcher on O.H. Perry Class Frigates.
Again, I know very little aside from what I read in some books 15-20 years ago...

Yeah, I heard the AF is completely out of the AIM-7 game. I do enjoy the -9X, absolutely phenomenal weapon.

The F-16's were never in it (Aim-7) we went from -9L only in 1993 to the addition of the 120...by the time I retired 2 years ago we were -9X and 120C. Rifle is the correct term for the Mav...It's funny how quick you forget...Magnum was what you said when you farted. Harm's were only used by the block 52's...block 42's did not have the software. CCIP is supposed to upgrade all the 40-42's to 50-52's status with additional upgrades to the radar for extension to 2030ish timeframe. Smart move because the JSF & F-22 is way over priced. The only thing about the -9x that I don't like was the peice of sh*t helmet...4.5 lb brick...they need a monacle...tore my neck all to hell...you'd thinkthey could remember the 3lb helmet from the 80's that put so many pilots out.

Last edited:
I was curious about it mainly because a Nat'l Geographic following a Nimitz class CVN (Reagan, maybe?). In some shots, her defensive systems can be seen, but where I recall (from the books my father amassed) seeing Sea Sparrow box launchers, there is a different launch system, what looks more like (yet still dissimilar to) the single rail launcher on O.H. Perry Class Frigates.
Again, I know very little aside from what I read in some books 15-20 years ago...
The Sea Sparrow box is standard on the big decks (CVN/LHA/LHD). The single rail launcher that was (they have all been removed now) on the OHP Frigates carried SM1s (precursor to the SM2). I think what you might have seen in the book that looked similar to the SM1 launcher was either RAM (Rolling Airframe Missile...essentially a surface to air Sidewinder missile) or possibly even CIWS.

The F-16's were never in it (Aim-7) we went from -9L only in 1993 to the addition of the 120...by the time I retired 2 years ago we were -9X and 120C. Rifle is the correct term for the Mav...It's funny how quick you forget...Magnum was what you said when you farted. Harm's were only used by the block 52's...block 42's did not have the software. CCIP is supposed to upgrade all the 40-42's to 50-52's status with additional upgrades to the radar for extension to 2030ish timeframe. Smart move because the JSF & F-22 is way over priced. The only thing about the -9x that I don't like was the peice of sh*t helmet...4.5 lb brick...they need a monacle...tore my neck all to hell...you'd thinkthey could remember the 3lb helmet from the 80's that put so many pilots out.

Yeah, and the Viper was heaters only for a long time right? It's still weird to see the -120's on their wingtip LAU's. FWIW, we carry 120C and -9X as well, but I suppose the -7 is around just in case. As for brevity, my favorite is long rife :)

I think the helmet is awesome......it sucks for BFM at first, especially when looking up and aft, but with a new liner, mine does fine now. JHMCS + 9X combo is about as lethal as it could possibly get IMHO. How was the -9L? I remember the CATM-9M's I flew with in initial Hornet training being a joke compared to the X's we fly with in the fleet.

edit: ok I fail for reading....you just wrote the answer to my first question :) Actually my wife and I were joking the other day about how we pretty much thought it was 1995 for like a decade or so. Funny how time flies, but the early-mid 90's were a pretty long time ago we realized.

Last edited:
The Sea Sparrow box is standard on the big decks (CVN/LHA/LHD). The single rail launcher that was (they have all been removed now) on the OHP Frigates carried SM1s (precursor to the SM2). I think what you might have seen in the book that looked similar to the SM1 launcher was either RAM (Rolling Airframe Missile...essentially a surface to air Sidewinder missile) or possibly even CIWS.
YES!! It was RAM. One of the later books in dad's collection had it; fairly new at the time the book was printed, and the launcher looked familiar, but I couldn't put a finger on it. Thanks FT! CIWS I recognize easily; boarding Inchon (LPH-12, my uncle's ship during Desert Shield/Storm) the Phalanx was easy to see, and made quite an impression.

Is that the Sparrow, or the latest version of the Standard?

I didn't know from Fox except the radio traffic when we F-14s splashed the Libyans, and you could hear the Admiral, "Wait a minute." FOX ONE! "Jesus."

This is what I had in mind:

"Start the music"

"Circular error probability zero. Have a nice day."

Last edited:
Back