anti-corrosive oil coating inside tube airframes

Dave Krall CFII

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES, Cmcl HELI
Anybody use or have info on using anti-corrosive oil coating inside tube airframes, especially in saltwater environments? They make some "creeping" penetrants that apparently don't require the fuselage to be tipped every which way but even the suppliers such as Aircraft Spruce haven't been able to supply any info.

The guy with the Stearman here talked about using linseed oil in the tube frame when they rebuilt it.

A quick Google search found this: http://www.skygeek.com/accorin4litj.html

Thanks, that ACF-50 product is one I saw but no info on application. Other products claim greater creeping ability, even uphill, which sounds ideal.

Linseed oil is what is typically used. I suppose there are newer, higher tech products that work as well.

Industry standard is Linseed oil.

I too questioned the continued use and longeveity of linseed oil. I put the question directly to just about every A&P I met plus Tom himself. I think it remains the standard because it works and keeps working.

That said, I learned a lot about ACF-50. And I prefer that much more than the Corrosion X product. The application of the ACF is dirt simple. An airgun with a modified nozzle to reach deep into the wings. I suspect the application for tubes would be the same.

I would think Dave be concerned about how he's going to insert the wand nozzle then plug the tube after application. Wouldn't be hard...just require some thought about the best place to make a hole.

(Segue to Curly using a "waterletteroutter" in the bilge.)

Yup. But does that mean it has to REMAIN industry standards if something better comes along?

I'll use anything you can show me that is as good.

Linseed oil is a organic substance, and will stay stable over time as long as it is not allowed to evaporate. cork it up tight, it will be there 100 years from now.

ACF 50 is a very good product, it is expensive, and it has been around a while. I would not have a problem using it in steel tubes as a corrosion prohibitor. But I think Linseed oil is just as good and 1/3rd the cost.

Last edited:
ACF 50 is a very good product, it is expensive, and it has been around a while. I would not have a problem using it in steel tubes as a corrosion prohibitor. But I think Linseed oil is just as good and 1/3rd the cost.

I guess that means ACF 50 isn't a BETTER product in that case. :no: :D

I will go for least expensive every time in that case. :yes:

Linseed oil is a organic substance, and will stay stable over time as long as it is not allowed to evaporate. cork it up tight, it will be there 100 years from now.

But if we really could cork up the fuselage tight we wouldn't need the anticorrosion stuff in the first place. No water, no fresh air, means no further corrosion.
The Citabria has a number of places where tube ends are wide open. Elevator and stab spars, for instance. Got to have something good in there. The one I'm working on now had no protection at all and both elevator spars were rusted clean through. And that's just since 1979, in rather dry country. Amazing.

Dan

One product advertised only a 2 year effective life. I'm looking for as long as possible, or a permanent solution if there is one.

Aren't at least two typs of linseed oil? Boiled & pressed? IIRC, the boiled polymerizes- if true, wouldn't the polymerized oil resist evaporation?

Back