Anti-Collision Light Question

Doug Reid

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Doug Reid
A friend of mine asked me an interesting question: He is replacing 2 old rotating beacons on a Stinson 108 , both top and bottom beacons have split red and white lenses. The new LED beacons came with one red lens and one with a split red and white lens. Does it matter which one goes on top ?

Practically, no. The 108 predates the requirements for collision lights. The rules for anticolision lights has changed over the years since. White or Red is allowable anywhere. If it were me, I'd put the red/white one on the top. In fact, a combo red-white was never an official color (the rules all say red OR white).

A friend of mine asked me an interesting question: He is replacing 2 old rotating beacons on a Stinson 108 , both top and bottom beacons have split red and white lenses. The new LED beacons came with one red lens and one with a split red and white lens. Does it matter which one goes on top ?

Poor Stinson, who installed that stuff on it :(

Mine never had that junk, I could get adding strobes, but soup can sized beacons nooope

You would not believe the mods this guy did to his 108-3. The new LED beacons are to replace 2 old rotating beacons that were installed years ago. I think he has wingtip strobes as well....overkill, IMO.
Even the rotating beacons were a modification.

Even the rotating beacons were a modification.

Yup, and not a good one IMO

I once saw a metalized 108 with dual rotating beacons, I think it gave me classic plane PTSD

James, you would flip out if you saw this one. Metallized 108-3, O-470 mod with constant speed prop, all new Garmin stack with GTN750, GDL88, GMA53audio panel, GTX32 transponder, AOA indicator, JPI analyzer...on and on....

I got no issues with a well crafted /G in a old plane, or even a repower, though I think it takes away from the feel in the 108s, now the metal and stuff, not so much

Back