Antenna issue with Garmin 496

wpierce

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wpierce
On my flight over to GSO last week my 496 started acting up. Lost satellite reception was the error and then searching for WAAS message popped up and didn't go away. I did a power cycle and it didn't seem to help. I was using the small attached antenna and the unit on top of the glare shield so nothing should have been blocking the signal.

I took the small antenna off and replaced it with the wired one and it worked the rest of the way. It had a little problem on the way back home though. At first it lost the altitude and heading/course but I powered down and powered back up and had no problems afterward.

Have any of you experienced a problem like this? I've not contacted Garmin but I will if you guys don't have any ideas... It does have the latest software upgrade. I upgraded between my last two trips and I did not have problems on the trip before this one... that I remember.

I thought I was going to have to turn around and go home without having a pink line, it made me real nervous. I mean nothing but a chart and a watch and an E6B to figure out where I was and where I was going.. How could I possibly get where I wanted to go?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I always use the wired antenna and lay it over on the glareshield. I did have issues with the small antenna in my plane. I use the small antenna in the car.

Best,

Dave

I've occasionally had problems with the small antenna when using the yoke mount or with it in my lap, especially on a N/S heading. No problems using the wired antenna (which I've only done once).

Back