ANR headsets

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I'm thinking of buying my first set of ANR headsets after my checkride (not yet scheduled) and have a couple of questions.

Q1- Do they block out that annoying stall horn? I hate hearing that thing on base-final:incazzato:
Q2- Can I get a pair that hurts as good as my current non-ANR headsets?:cryin:
Q3- I'm sure there are more than just Bose and Lightspeed. Where can I find a comparison that includes some other less-known brands?:ihih:

I'm thinking of buying my first set of ANR headsets after my checkride (not yet scheduled) and have a couple of questions.

Q1- Do they block out that annoying stall horn? I hate hearing that thing on base-final:incazzato:

No. The ANR effect is designed to silence lower freq sounds. You'll still hear the stall horn and the kid crying in the back seat.

Q2- Can I get a pair that hurts as good as my current non-ANR headsets?:cryin:

Yep. Choose carefully.

Q3- I'm sure there are more than just Bose and Lightspeed. Where can I find a comparison that includes some other less-known brands?:ihih:

Comparisons are not that useful because head shapes vary. What is good for the reviewer may be pure pain for you. You have to beg and borrow different headsets around your airport to try them out. Possibly go to a big airshow like Sun-n-Fun or AirVenture and visit all the vendor booths. Try hard to be able to fly with the best of the ones you get to try on.

-Skip

No, ANR does not compensate for inability to competently fly the aircraft.

If you're getting the stall horn on base or final I'd strongly suggest re-evaluating your priorities. Keep the nose down and the annoying buzzers go away.

Other than Bose, etc, which I haven't had the pleasure of trying, I've been using the Softcomm C-90 for the past 10 years. Generally very good, but I have trouble understanding ATC when the battery quits (or is that just my old ears?). I hadn't really noticed this until recently as I've been working to finish my IR. And, for another approach, a friend who flys for one of the majors posted a picture on Facebook where he has a Bose QC2 on his head. There's an outfit making microphones for them and evidently flight crews are loving them. Works with the new QC15, too. Take a look at http://uflymike.com/index.html. And, no, I have no connection with this outfit, nor do I have first hand experience.

I have a set of DC H10-13X. The cord is a little long and unwieldy, but otherwise, I've been happy with them in terms of comfort and audio quality.

The CFI I fly with has Bose. They're lighter. I haven't flown with them, but I suspect they have better ANR but less passive attenuation.

I'm guessing your first question was tongue-in-cheek.

The ANR will block out engine noises. They won't block out dogs barking, kids crying, stall horns, etc.

I have two Lightspeeds (a 20xlc and a Zulu) and a Bose. I like both Lightspeeds much better than the Bose, and find that most people I fly with have the same opinion when given the opportunity to try both. Lightspeed changed their lower-end headset, but it's still priced in the $400 range, I believe, and would highly recommend that if you don't want to spend the money on a Zulu or Bose.

I got the cheap anr's from Aircraft Spruce. Ii put the gel ear seals from my non-anr pair on them, and they work great for me. Battery box is a little clunky, but for the price I'll live with it. IIrc, they were about the same $ as a conversion kit for the DC's.

If you're getting the stall horn on base or final I'd strongly suggest re-evaluating your priorities.
...or checking the calibration of the stall warning device (some are adjustable, and some of those may be misadjusted).

Other than Bose, etc, which I haven't had the pleasure of trying, I've been using the Softcomm C-90 for the past 10 years. Generally very good, but I have trouble understanding ATC when the battery quits (or is that just my old ears?). I hadn't really noticed this until recently as I've been working to finish my IR. And, for another approach, a friend who flys for one of the majors posted a picture on Facebook where he has a Bose QC2 on his head. There's an outfit making microphones for them and evidently flight crews are loving them. Works with the new QC15, too. Take a look at http://uflymike.com/index.html. And, no, I have no connection with this outfit, nor do I have first hand experience.

Interesting, I've never seen those. It's still over $500 for the headphones and the mic kit...but then you'd also have a pair of QC-15 headphones to wear on the human mailing tubes. I wonder if they perform as well as the low end lightyear headset. :dunno:

Interesting, I've never seen those. It's still over $500 for the headphones and the mic kit...but then you'd also have a pair of QC-15 headphones to wear on the human mailing tubes. I wonder if they perform as well as the low end lightyear headset. :dunno:
My flying buddy has the uflymike kit. The thing I've noticed about it is that when his battery goes dead everything goes dead and he has no audio reception at all, ANR or otherwise. This has led to some odd moments as I try to figure out why he is trying to make a radio transmission while talking over everyone. While that is not so much of a problem in a crew situation I can see where it might lead to more confusion when single pilot. I have heard from other people that you can tell when your battery is about to die, but apparently he is not sensitive enough to those clues. :tongue:

I use Beyerdynamic ANR headset, and I am very happy with it. Beyerdynamic is a German company that makes audio equipment. They started selling in this country in the last few years. Their equipment is made in Germany, which I think is better than made in China.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/beyerdyanmic600danr.php

If you are really interested, you can go to the Beyerdynamic website and have one custom-made.
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.c...eral-aviation-pilots/aviation-manufaktur.html

Zulu's FTW.

Bose, like all of their products, are ridiculously overpriced and dramatically underqualitied.

I have to agree. I've used both Bose and LS Zulu's in the Mooney, Cirrus, Phenom 100, CJ3, Decathlon, Bonanza, and all sorts of other types. I have found the Zulu's to be more comfortable with significant difference between ANR qualities in the Bose. I wish there was a version with the ANR plug (LEMO) that you could convert into traditional twin plug configuration like the new Bose A20 but it's not a deal breaker.

Also noteworthy is Lightspeed's awesome trade up program which I participated in. I traded in a $450 20-3G for a $400 credit towards upgrade two years after I bought the 20-3G. Talk about return on investment. My original plan to sell them on eBay would have netted me a lot less.

I have to agree. I've used both Bose and LS Zulu's in the Mooney, Cirrus, Phenom 100, CJ3, Decathlon, Bonanza, and all sorts of other types. I have found the Zulu's to be more comfortable with significant difference between ANR qualities in the Bose. I wish there was a version with the ANR plug (LEMO) that you could convert into traditional twin plug configuration like the new Bose A20 but it's not a deal breaker.

Also noteworthy is Lightspeed's awesome trade up program which I participated in. I traded in a $450 20-3G for a $400 credit towards upgrade two years after I bought the 20-3G. Talk about return on investment. My original plan to sell them on eBay would have netted me a lot less.

They have LEMO converters on this page...
http://uflymike.com/id2.html

My suggestion is to try them in the actual plane(s) you will fly to the greatest degree possible before purchase or with a return guarantee. I had Lightspeeds in my A-36 that created a loud obnoxious sound that Lightspeed couldn't figure out. Bose didn't have a problem.

Best,

Dave

No, ANR does not compensate for inability to competently fly the aircraft.

If you're getting the stall horn on base or final I'd strongly suggest re-evaluating your priorities. Keep the nose down and the annoying buzzers go away.

...or checking the calibration of the stall warning device (some are adjustable, and some of those may be misadjusted).

You guys are sooooo easy.... (LOL)

I'm guessing your first question was tongue-in-cheek..

Yes...and getting good info from the thread responses too, as I really am thinking of new headsets. Mine (can't think of brand right now, but I paid <$200) begins to become uncomfortable after awhile. Also I noticed that I have to turn volume up to hear clealy (and, "Potomac Say again"), while someone in the other seat can hear.

Yes...and getting good info from the thread responses too, as I really am thinking of new headsets. Mine (can't think of brand right now, but I paid <$200) begins to become uncomfortable after awhile. Also I noticed that I have to turn volume up to hear clealy (and, "Potomac Say again"), while someone in the other seat can hear.

That sounds like a volume control issue. All headsets are going to be different in terms of how loud the controllers come through. Unfortunately the only way I've found to change that is to replace all the headsets with ones of the same type.

Between the Bose, both Lightspeeds, and a couple other spares, if I have all 6 seats full then all 6 people will be hearing something different.

That sounds like a volume control issue. All headsets are going to be different in terms of how loud the controllers come through. Unfortunately the only way I've found to change that is to replace all the headsets with ones of the same type.
Might not be a sensitivity variation between headset types. There's a strong correlation between in-headset noise and volume levels required to clearly hear what's being said so a headset with better attenuation (passive or active) at the frequencies present in your cockpit is going to require less radio/intercom volume.

Also many of the better headsets come with a means of adjusting the volume locally so even different brands can be made to have the same sensitivity. If you find that one particular type consistently needs more volume you might consider putting marks on all the volume controls at the point where that one sounds the same to you as the rest with their settings. Ideally those marks would be located somewhere mid-range on all units.

I did the do it yourself ANR upgrades to an ancient DC and cheap softcomm headsets. Best flying money I spent.

The noise canceling effect was similar to this:
Imagine sitting in one of my old cars with an amp/eq and stereo blaring.. wearing earplugs.. You can hear everything, but its subdued.

Then turn on the noise canceling feature, and the sound changes as if I'd unplugged the sub-woofer/bass..

My flying buddy has the uflymike kit. The thing I've noticed about it is that when his battery goes dead everything goes dead and he has no audio reception at all, ANR or otherwise. This has led to some odd moments as I try to figure out why he is trying to make a radio transmission while talking over everyone. While that is not so much of a problem in a crew situation I can see where it might lead to more confusion when single pilot. I have heard from other people that you can tell when your battery is about to die, but apparently he is not sensitive enough to those clues. :tongue:

The LED on the QC2 starts flashing when there is about 5 hours of life left. I don't know about the QC15 as I haven't bought one of those. But, I would imagine a dead battery would be like turning the switch to the OFF position, and there is no sound from a QC2 when it is turned off. That is one potential downside to the QC2 - IFlyMike solution.

Might not be a sensitivity variation between headset types. There's a strong correlation between in-headset noise and volume levels required to clearly hear what's being said so a headset with better attenuation (passive or active) at the frequencies present in your cockpit is going to require less radio/intercom volume.

Also many of the better headsets come with a means of adjusting the volume locally so even different brands can be made to have the same sensitivity. If you find that one particular type consistently needs more volume you might consider putting marks on all the volume controls at the point where that one sounds the same to you as the rest with their settings. Ideally those marks would be located somewhere mid-range on all units.

That makes sense. Of course, what I'm really comparing are opposite ends of the spectrum: Bose/Lightspeed vs. $75 eBay headsets.

At this point I actually do have 6 headsets total, which between the two planes is sufficient. But I do want to keep on adding to the collection as it makes sense to with good ones.

The LED on the QC2 starts flashing when there is about 5 hours of life left.
That's pretty hard to see when you are wearing them! Yes I know that you're probably supposed to look at it when you turn it on but there are people who want to get every last minute out of their battery and 5 hours seems like quite a bit of battery capacity to throw away.

That's pretty hard to see when you are wearing them! Yes I know that you're probably supposed to look at it when you turn it on but there are people who want to get every last minute out of their battery and 5 hours seems like quite a bit of battery capacity to throw away.

I would argue that 5 hours of battery life is quite little compared to the risk of losing comm mid flight (i'm sure you would too!)

I would argue that 5 hours of battery life is quite little compared to the risk of losing comm mid flight (i'm sure you would too!)
I think my solution would be to choose another headset option.

You might also check the passive noise protection since batteries do die. Some local Pilot Shops provide "Test drives" so you can see what works best for you.
I have DCs 10-13X bought new and a used original BOSE X. Great deals on both. The DCs thump when the battery is low (about 15 hours). There is a power indicator I usually ignore. I usually just turn them off. I haven't had the BOSE long enough to know what happens when the battery dies but there's an indicator on them too. Passive noise protection is still pretty good with both; equal to or better than my original Sigtronics.

Back