ANR Headsets and Overhead Decathlon, Citabria Jacks

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Anybody using ANR headsets have any touble with the battery/control pod and the overhead headset jacks in a Decathlon/Citabria?

Thanks,

Not sure what kind of problem you mean, but I've used my Bose ANR set in a Citabria a few times and had no problems.
It worries me a little to have the weight of the control/power module dangling off the plug, but everything seems robust enough. I don't see it as being any worse than in any other jack locations.

Thanks Beaky, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I've been noticing how much noise I'm dealing with when I fly approaches.

So, I was looking at an Sennheiser HMEC-461 ANR Headset, to save a few bucks. But the photo in this document has me concerned about all the hardware near the jacks.

http://www.headsetsinc.com/fly01.pg58-63 copy.pdf

And, I plan to buy a Citabria.

I do have the skills to go in and desolder the unneeded connector, and it may be worth while replacing it with a lanyard that's just a bit shorter than the other 2 jack wires.

Not sure what kind of problem you mean, but I've used my Bose ANR set in a Citabria a few times and had no problems.
It worries me a little to have the weight of the control/power module dangling off the plug, but everything seems robust enough. I don't see it as being any worse than in any other jack locations.

I see the issue he points out.. I LOVE my Lightspeed 20-3G's but I admit the battery cover on the control box has weak latches and it falls off often.. I can imagine if it was hanging off the jacks the cover would dislodge... I suggest you get some velcro straps and secure the box to the roof and let the cables dangle down like any other headset.. YMMV.

I thread mine thru the v of the cabane triangle that's in the far upper left side so that it goes almost straight from the jacks and then wrap the cord back and forth sort of and hold it in place with a Velcro strap. Works fine and it gives me cord loops to hang my glasses from if I don't need them and holds it in place for aerobatics. If you don't get what I'm saying I'll try to take a picture of it and post it but can't promise that'll happen tomorrow.

Last edited:
That's why we put our ANR boxes on a separate jack, so that you can attach the battery box down near your body and not have the inline stuff slapping you in the face.

Last edited:
Got 700 or so hours in the back of a Citabria, I used to just tuck the control pod part of my Zulus between the frame and the window in the back, wasnt a issue at all.

One mod I did was to cut a sock and use it to cover the pod so my volume didnt get tweaked when it would bump into the side of the plane.

Back