ANR Headset?

danhagan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
danhagan
Having been flying with a cheap ANR headset for several years and want to get something with bluetooth capability for music and calls to FSS from the ground.

Was looking at the Zulu 2 headset, but saw the thread here that although they have good repair service, seems to indicate the headsets are fragile and do not last long. I have no Bose experience and have not even checked to see if they have an equivalent.

Which ANR headset in the $900 range would be most durable and meet the above criteria?

Not ANR, but try to find a Clarity Aloft or (whatever the other in-ear company is) to test out before you buy. Less expensive and insanely comfortable. Not having tried a "good" ANR set, I can't compare, but hopefully you can before you drop that kind of cash.

Might look at the squawk shoppe. Their ANR model is in the ~400 range but from what Ive read it does very nicely.

Having been flying with a cheap ANR headset for several years and want to get something with bluetooth capability for music and calls to FSS from the ground.

Was looking at the Zulu 2 headset, but saw the thread here that although they have good repair service, seems to indicate the headsets are fragile and do not last long. I have no Bose experience and have not even checked to see if they have an equivalent.

Which ANR headset in the $900 range would be most durable and meet the above criteria?

I disagree to the idea the the Zulu.2 is a fragile item. I've had mine for 3 years now, more than 100 hours on it, and I'm not the easiest on my portable toys. It has held up very well and I am very happy with it. It continues to seal around my ears, is very comfortable (once adjusted correctly) and the sound quality is very good. If you do purchase one, you will be very happy with it.

I have heard some owners of the Sierra not being 100% happy with the materials and construction. But everyone I have spoken to who has the Zulu.2 is very satisfied with materials, construction, and quality.

PS. I also own the QT Halo set which I really like for when I'm not wanting music or phone connectivity. Again, very comfortable (especially when wearing a hat) and the microphone has one of the best "pickup" of any headset I've used. Very clear and does not transmit any background noise.

Quiet Technologies Halo - in ears. I have a Zulu 2 and it is now relegated to my passenger headset (which they love, of course! :)).

I'm telling you, once you go this route you'll never go back. If you don't mind earplugs these are easily as quiet, way more comfortable and IMHO, sound better - especially the mic. They are awesome - you literally forget that they are on. No more sweaty ears, adjusting sunglasses, etc...

As mentioned, the Zulu's are nice when you want bluetooth for phone or audio, but the QT Halo does have a 1/8 input to pipe music in if you want that. I haven't used it yet - no idea if it attenuates the music like the Zulu does when the radio is TX/RX. Another plus - no batteries needed for the QT Halo.

The guy who invented/makes them is an audiologist and a pilot, so as interesting as these things look - they really do work very well.

The best part - they are half the price of a pair of Zulu's.

Last edited:
I've flown about 200 hours with my Zulu.2 in the six months since I bought it, and I've seen no signs of fragility. YMMV, but I'm pretty happy with my choice.

Thanks for the responses. From the other thread it appeared every Zulu set had been sent back for ear muff repair or electronic repair at least once in the first 2 years.

I've had my Zulu.2 for about 3+ months and about 40 hours and absolutely love it. Haven't had any issues with it yet.

I've got about 100 hours on my Zulu.2's and love them. I just got a low battery light the other day for the first time. Time for 2 new AA's.

I will say I am disappointed in the BT quality. I connected to my Ipad BT and the music quality was not that good. Sounded really washed out and not loud enough. I could barely hear the music. But that's not why I bought them. Hearing ATC and other radio stuff they work perfectly.

Try double checking some settings on your headset control, and the iPad (including turning off the EQ [equalizer] for music). I'm having no issues with music quality with mine. But I need to make sure the volume sliders are in the middle of their range, and the volume on the iPhone is set at 75%.

Back