ANR headset!

My Lightspeed is getting a little age on it(2000 or 2001 model) but I'm happy with it. Had to send it in right after I got it but it was fixed quickly and willingly. It was a re-manufactured set that folks at my office bought me as a retirement present in Jan. 2002. Beat the devil out of the proverbial gold watch. I like some of the features on the newer ones but can't see it being worth the cost to upgrade. The batteries last a long time. The only time I have ever ran the batteries down is when I forgot to turn it off when putting the plane away.

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Thanks a lot for the link too, Eamon!

My $.02 on Lightspeed headsets

Quality, rugedness, long life time.....There is only one brand, IMHO, that meets those requirments and that is David Clark. You could start with a non-ANR if money is an issue and then later install an ANR upgrade kit. But I recomend that you get the ANR to begin with. I have two of the 13XLs and love them.

I have owned other brands. The Lightspeeds are less cost but their quality stinks. You will hear good things about their customer service. Thankfully they have great customer service because you will need it.

If possible try a few headsets on especially if you can do that while flying to help you make your decision.

I hope you have the two LSs so when one goes bad in flight you can switch to your back up!!

I have had 3 LS headsets including the low cost QFR. The QFR needed repair the first month I had it. The 20XL was upgraded to a 20-3G when it went in for service and the 20-3G needed repair and then was sold to upgrade to David Clarks.

The entire time I had the LSs I was always worried about them breaking, especially in IMC, and then I would have to worry about dealing with the mike and speaker while flying. For my peace of mind I wanted something that would work for a good long time. But my expirience is not uncommon, YMMV.

Rudy: love my lightspeed 20XLs note they are not the 20XLCs I got them about 4 years ago. They have been in the shop twice and fixed proptly free of charge no questions asked. good set good customer service.

A note with regard to Eamons post. You can indeed purchase the 20XLs ( with out the cell phone interface) reconditioned for less. Lightspeed will add the cell phone interface to the reconditioned set for $75.00 saving you $24.00 over buying the 20XLC outright. I always thought the cell phone interface was stupid until I switched from my towered class D airport to my local unctrolled field. Since I fly in the IFR system a lot I need to get a release, well I can't reach Philly approach from the planes radio on the ground at KLOM so I have to call. You bet I like that cell phone interface now.

I got a set of the 20 3G Lightspeeds for Christmas. So far so good. But, I have a piar of DC's that I bought used when I started to fly 12 years ago. They still look new. We'll see abouth the LS.

Thanks Adam and Anthony!

I bought a pair of Light-Speed 20-3G's a few weeks ago. This is a post I made recently about it:

Jason said:
Bill Jennings said:
Interesting. I have a 30-3G for me and a 20XLc for a passenger set, and two years of hard use so far...no problem. Especially the 30-3G, it has gotten dropped and abused, and it just keeps on ticking. I treat them no differently than the DC's I had before.
It's very hit-and-miss. I bought a brand-new Lightspeed 20-3G and had to send it back to Sporty's for repair after the 1st flight and just recently sent it to Lightspeed (directly) to exchange it for a new one. I also know people (including you) who have had their 20-3G/30-3G for 2+ years and haven't had a problem what-so-ever.

The customer service at Lightspeed is beyond description. I have to say they are the most nice, caring, understanding, helpful individuals I have EVER delt with before in my life.

The customer service agent I spoke to was VERY helpful, had a great sense of humor, and was able to send out a new headset via UPS 2nd Day Air the same day and stuck a UPS shipping label in so I didn't have to pay for return shipping (All I had to do was swap boxes, put the new label over the old and give it to the UPS guy).
Feel free to E-mail/PM/reply with questions. I started out not knowing much about Lightspeed, and I really like the comfort. Definitely don't buy something without flight-testing it first!!

Refer to this thread for more suggestions I gave about buying a headset (scroll down just a bit to find my post)

Jason

Last edited:
Oh, BTW Rudy, the ANR is great. I thought something was wrong with the plane on takeoff as I didn't hear the noise as much. I'm used to it now and can actually hear the engine better.

Anthony said:
Oh, BTW Rudy, the ANR is great. I thought something was wrong with the plane on takeoff as I didn't hear the noise as much. I'm used to it now and can actually hear the engine better.

Alright, haha!
I'll keep in mind because knowing me, I would abort the take-off and then not be able to figure out what was going on!

Rudy - that is the exact same headset I bought. I love it! Very quiet and comfortable as hell. It was a bit of a trip to see just how BIG the ear muff thingies are, but they're nice and comfy. When it gets cold (and this is cold by NM standards), the muff piece gets quite stiff, but it softens up after about 10 minutes of use. I had a problem with mine, but they swapped it out right away with no hassle.

I love 'em.

Back