ANR Headset - How to turn on?

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I bought the headset (Pilot XL) pictured here. When I tried it out it didn't do the ANR bit. (I unplugged the battery box and it made no difference.). Does anybody know how to turn the ANR on? According to the Pilot website, the current generation has a lithe white switch on the battery box. I can't find any switch other than the push button on the ear cup. That does not seem to do anything.

Any clue?

John

Attachments

• 33z7e5g.jpg
    33z7e5g.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 40
  • mjsi9d.jpg
    mjsi9d.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 161avtd.jpg
    161avtd.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 35
I bought the headset (Pilot XL) pictured here. When I tried it out it didn't do the ANR bit. (I unplugged the battery box and it made no difference.). Does anybody know how to turn the ANR on? According to the Pilot website, the current generation has a lithe white switch on the battery box. I can't find any switch other than the push button on the ear cup. That does not seem to do anything.

Any clue?

John

Not familiar with the Pilots, however, on the DC, there is a small slide switch underneath the battery (need to remove the battery to see it) that switches the ANR between always on, OR, only on when plugged into the intercom system.

Gary

Not familiar with the Pilots, however, on the DC, there is a small slide switch underneath the battery (need to remove the battery to see it) that switches the ANR between always on, OR, only on when plugged into the intercom system.

Gary
Is that a new feature?

I have a DC ANR I bought 6 years ago and it has a ON/OFF slide switch right on the side of the battery pack.

Is that a new feature?

I have a DC ANR I bought 6 years ago and it has a ON/OFF slide switch right on the side of the battery pack.

Don't know if it is a "new" feature. Mine is a H20-10X, maybe 5-6 years old? Yes it has a power switch on the side, but it also has the small slide switch under the battery that turns the auto-ANR on or off.

Gary

Doesn't Ken or Marty on the Red Board sell this brand?

You might ask over there

Doesn't Ken or Marty on the Red Board sell this brand?

You might ask over there

The manual for the headset is on the pilot website. I posted the link.
I already gave the answer. The ANR does not come on unless the headset is plugged into an active panel (I'm guessing it senses the mic bias).

I have one -- there's a black pushbutton on the top of the earcup on which the mic is mounted. Push on, push off. You can see it in the second picture. Make sure you fully charge it first. Then, when it's on, a little green light near that button will come on to show it's operating -- you can see that, too, in the same picture.

And you'll find it a lot more comfortable with the Oregon Aero ear cup pads and cloth covers.

The Zulus do.
AFaIK, NO LightSpeed headsets (including Zulu and Zulu2) uses anything from the mic plug (key or mic bias voltage) to control power. I am certain this is true for all but the Zulu2 as I own or have owned every model that LS has made except the Z2 (one is on order) and according to the Z2 manual it's autoshutoff mechanism is the same as other LS ANR headsets. And that uses the altered acoustic behavior of the empty vs full earcups to determine when to shut down (there's no auto power on). I suggested to the owner of LS sensing mic bias (voltage originally put on the mic signal line to power a carbon mic) for power control several years ago but they like their current method and see no reason to change even though it's not 100% reliable IME (sometimes it takes much longer than the specified 5 minutes to turn off after removing the headset from your head).

The Zulus (1&2) do have an internal switch that allows the headset mic to be powered from the batteries (on battery powered models) so that the mic can be used with a cellphone when not plugged into a live audio panel or intercom but ships mic bias is not used for power control.

And as already mentioned (by you I think), the Pilot DNC does require mic bias from the airplane to operate but there is a work around:
Pilot DNC XL user guide said:
If you would like to bypass the Auto Shut-Off feature and use the headset as an ANR hearing protector, there is an accessory available – the ANR/Cell Phone Energizer Plug. It can be purchased direct from Pilot Communications USA at 1-888-GO-PILOT or www.pilot-usa.com

I have the Zulu.2. :D They are just like the 30-3G's. You gotta manually power the ANR on by pressing a button on the inline controller.

The headsets will work however, with the ANR switched off. I forgot to turn on the ANR when I initially started using them. I was thinking "this isn't any quieter, why?" :idea:

AFaIK, NO LightSpeed headsets (including Zulu and Zulu2) uses anything from the mic plug (key or mic bias voltage) to control power.

Heh. Partially correct. Or incorrect. Depending on if you're a half glass full or empty type.

Lightspeed Sierras use batteries and have no auto-shut off (at least mine never do). Manual on and off.

Except... they utilize the bias voltage to power the main boom mic, and the Bluetooth module is both useless without ship's power (no mic, dead air for whomever you're calling) and is also crippled (no A2DP music/audio support).

I knew about the A2DP support going in. I had no idea the BT wouldn't work without the headset being plugged into the aircraft and the aircraft providing bias voltage.

It's the number one thing that ****es me off about the headset. The cheap plastic headband that their logo'd little cover keeps popping out of takes 2nd place.

Lightspeed really did themselves a disservice putting this cheap-o version of their tech on the market.

If the point of the BT module was to call for clearances on the ground, requiring the aircraft to be started is supremely dumb. And if the purpose was to call the wifey and let her know you're done flying, keeping the aircraft electrical system on to do that is even more stupid. Cell phone in flight is technically illegal, so that blows the third reason.

The BT module in the Sierra, as it's designed, is worthless.

Love the ANR but the Sierra's design otherwise just makes me angry.

It's stuff that's way too obviously crippled to keep people from stepping down from the Zulus and that implies that Lightspeed's engineers were told to cripple the things by higher-ups.

And that's a sign the higher-ups wanted to make darn sure to disrespect anyone buying the lower priced units. Why even put the BT module in the things?!

My money will be going to David Clark, Bose, or perhaps Sennheiser on the replacements for these. These will become passenger headsets.

The ANR is too good to ignore, and I wear 'em for now, but there's plenty of other ANR headsets and even kits for older headsets to put up with stupid electronics games like this headset from Lightspeed.

I know a lot of folks will say to just bump up to the Zulus -- but I can't do that in good conscience knowing this company cripples their low-end stuff that new pilots on a budget would likely purchase.

I can forgive the cheap plastic. I can forgive that mine were broken right out of the box and their policy to local dealers is not to swap but to send them in. I can even understand the removal of the A2DP...

But requiring ship's power for the mic when there's a battery 1" away in the ANR module is unforgivable BS.

Bye Lightspeed. See ya. Shouldn't have put this crap on the market. 'Cause I don't "do" the "fool me twice" game.

Similar to the later lightspeeds, it has has an auto on/auto off. It comes up when plugged into an aircraft and the mic bias is turned on.

By the way...here's the manual for the thing...
http://www.pilot-usa.com/pdf/DownloadPA1779T.pdf

I found that manual. Unfortunately the one's I bought were ~10 years old, although never used. They don't have rechargeable batteries, nor do they have the white on/off switch. They're not 1779's. I'll try the ear cup mounted switch with the avionics on next time I fly and see if that does it. If not, I paid for a PNR passenger headset.

John

My Lightspeed Sierra's turn off automatically every time. They get tossed around the airplane regularly and have never broken. Further, the mike can be used on the left or right side..a feature the Zulus lack.

Great headset for the money.

Back