ANR headset alert ?

Nah, it was an alert put out maybe in 2007 or 2008. Some of the mfg's push the ANR too heavy on the audible levels etc. and so they put that alert out as the mfg's weren't alerting their customers, they still don't.

That's why we use a proprietary system that boosts those signals and voices and cancel out only the noises that cause pilot fatigue and inner ear damage.

There was also an alert some time after that regarding potential tinnitus by the ENT community, but I never saw it come to fruition.

Wonder why they pushed it out again today ?

I have a hard time hearing the ap kick off on one plane/headset combo I use. newer LS

I have a hard time hearing the ap kick off on one plane/headset combo I use. newer LS
Last time I checked the upper frequency limit on ANR cancellation was less than 500 Hz. 440 Hz is middle C on a piano if you can find one. Any beeper with a higher frequency (most Sonalerts are 1000Hz for example) should actually be more noticeable with the ANR on vs off (headset on head in both cases) since the alert isn't competing with as much background noise. But if the signal you need to hear is below 300 Hz it is possible it will be more difficult to hear with ANR on.

Last time I checked the upper frequency limit on ANR cancellation was less than 500 Hz. 440 Hz is middle C on a piano if you can find one. Any beeper with a higher frequency (most Sonalerts are 1000Hz for example) should actually be more noticeable with the ANR on vs off (headset on head in both cases) since the alert isn't competing with as much background noise. But if the signal you need to hear is below 300 Hz it is possible it will be more difficult to hear with ANR on.

small correction: 440 Hz is the A above middle C on a piano. Middle C is approximately 262 Hz.

I got that email too, I've never noticed not being able hear anything in the cockpit with my Zulus that I could hear with my passive DCs.

Got the email too, and my first reaction was that we have people employed by the FAA looking for something to do. No offense to the guy that wrote it, but we're pilots, and informing us that noise canceling headsets might cause us to not hear some noises is really unnecessary.

Hi everyone.
I've experienced a very loud low frequency, warble is the best way to describe it, with many ANR headsets and in many makes / models of aircraft on both pilot and copilot sides. This interferes with the ability to hear communication and can be very annoying, I am not sure if it can cause ear damage or not but it can be disturbing.
I would think that this is the reason why the message is being sent out. TV

Probably your headset wasn't fitted properly, happens where there is a gap in the ear seals.

Hi James.
It is not likely that is just the ear seal, we both got it at the same time, more than once.
The last time it was in a well equipped aircraft, basically brand new, with two top of the line ANR (LEMO) sets.
I've bee flying for a long time and I learned to ignore it, but the other pilot asked me if there was this loud warble on my side also, and I did. Very annoying. TV

Huh

I've had something like that with older ear cushions when I yawned or under a run up in a radial, new seals always fixed it and it wasn't aircraft specific. Sounds like you got something else going on, especially with it being ships power :dunno:

If both headsets are hearing it, could it not be the I/C or ship's radios?

small correction: 440 Hz is the A above middle C on a piano. Middle C is approximately 262 Hz.
Oops, my bad. Was relying on 40 year old memories that apparently aren't reliable. :redface:

Nah, it was an alert put out maybe in 2007 or 2008. Some of the mfg's push the ANR too heavy on the audible levels etc. and so they put that alert out as the mfg's weren't alerting their customers, they still don't.

That's why we use a proprietary system that boosts those signals and voices and cancel out only the noises that cause pilot fatigue and inner ear damage.

There was also an alert some time after that regarding potential tinnitus by the ENT community, but I never saw it come to fruition.

What frequency range is eligible for ANR?

What frequency range is eligible for ANR?

Well that depends on the sampling rate. All are eligible, however what the article focused around was a standard sample rate of 8kHz.

For the most part, ANR functions should stabilize around the median range of 200Hz, and try and avoid the 1000-3000 Hz. We all dance around that freq range in similar ways. But, newer avionics use much richer noise generation right inside some mfg's cancellation focus and created that article on 1/5/07.

I could go into the irony of that range being the exact frequency range of slipstreams, etc. but I won't. However, If you're interested in more on this, there was a great article put out in '03 about audible alerts in an aircraft. This is why we use EVI circuitry in our headsets.

https://www.aea.net/AvionicsNews/ANArchives/AudioWarnFeb03.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Its almost like the FAA forgot that they certificate deaf pilots to fly. :rofl: And no, a deaf pilot doesn't need a special mod to fly a pneumatic reed stall warning equipped Cessna, (such as installing a stall warning system with a light)

Hi everyone.
I've experienced a very loud low frequency, warble is the best way to describe it, with many ANR headsets and in many makes / models of aircraft on both pilot and copilot sides. This interferes with the ability to hear communication and can be very annoying, I am not sure if it can cause ear damage or not but it can be disturbing.
Only times I have experienced a warble like you describe using ANR has been either the battery is dying or flying in an open cockpit where the ANR is having a hard time compensating for the wind buffeting.

I don't really buy it. The ANR is pretty concentrated down at the low end of the audio spectrum and most alerts are NOT there. I have no problem hearing the gear horn over the headsets, in fact, I hear it BETTER. Similarly when my exhaust broke a weld, I could hear the clanking with my headset on but when I took it off to try to hear it "better" I couldn't hear it over the rest of the noise.

Only times I have experienced a warble like you describe using ANR has been either the battery is dying or flying in an open cockpit where the ANR is having a hard time compensating for the wind buffeting.

Hi everyone.

You're both very close to the potential answer. Yes, you can get an "ANR vibration" in one or both ears in a few environments.

IF you have a headset with external sample ANR (i.e. Bose, Lightspeed, Sennheiser) you will get the speaker vibration or failure of the ANR any time you're in an open cockpit environment or anywhere active air is passing over the earpieces. Yes that includes the cabin air ports pointed at your head. hint, hint. :) So while you'll get what you think is a "stronger" ANR in quieter environments, it's actually the exact same protection, but those headsets are compensating a lack of passive noise reduction with high cone deflection sound waves. (A rapidly moving speaker delivering extraneous pressure to the ear drum making you feel like it's working harder) So you're able to hear it when the ANR is disabling itself.

You can also get it in any ANR system with a depleted battery. You will most likely notice the issue in both ears, rather than one side or the other.

IF you have an internal sampling ANR system, (i.e. Squawk Shoppe, AKG, Telex, Pilot, David Clark) you can still get the ANR vibration, but it will always be from a loose ear seal or a low volt battery discharge. This also occurs in the external ANR systems.

Since you are confident that the earseal is not the problem, my next pathway would be cabin air ports pointed at your face/earpiece. Hopefully that solves the "warble". I like that word description. I'm going to use that!

Last edited:
Back