Another "what's this part" question

KRyan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
KRyan
Had a customer call me on another matter, and at the end of the call asked me if perhaps I could help him with another question. He has what he believes is a window from an airplane. At first glance, it look to me like the side window from a Ford Tri-motor, but it doesn’t look like any of the windows I can see on line.

It’s about 13 inches wide and 31 inches long. He says the glass is about 7/8 in. thick, and it weighs about 25 lbs. The frame surrounding the glass is some kind of micarta material.

Another odd thing is the "hinge" area is lettered "C" "A" "B" "D" next to the holes.

IMG_2737.JPG IMG_2738.JPG Anyone have any ideas?

7/8 thick? Laminated? From an airplane? Front windscreen from something armored, like a fighter.

I don't know. Do you think the Voodoo would have had a Micarta frame around the glass? Here's a closeup.

Attachments

• IMG_2740.JPG
    IMG_2740.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 52
Micarta is a brand name for composites of linen, canvas, paper, fiberglass, carbon fiber or other fabric in a thermosetting plastic. It was originally used in electrical and decorative applications. Micarta was developed by George Westinghouse at least as early as 1910 using phenolic resins invented by Leo Baekeland.

What I meant was that Micarta seemed a little "dated" for a fighter of that era.

I did just notice, however, that the glass appears to be heated. Bet that's why it's micarta and that explains the ABCD at the base. It's to hook up the wiring for the glass?

Last edited:
Back