Another wet one KCDK

wrbix

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot Lite
IMG_2692.JPG At approach end of 05, winds favoring 23, was lined up on downwind for 05.
N number when tide goes out. V stab looks like Mooney.
Both souls on board wet but OK.

I imagine he floated just a few moments.
On the approach end of 05, my recollection is his CTAF call was 23.
My suspicion is he realized wrong runway at last moment, pulled and stalled into the muck.

Glad their OK. There's 2200 feet to work with there. In a C-172 you can be a little sloppy. In a Mooney not so much.

But again, if you're approaching 05 and end up in drink short of 05, especially if announcing 23, length of runway is pretty immaterial

But again, if you're approaching 05 and end up in drink short of 05, especially if announcing 23, length of runway is pretty immaterial

Yeah, good point. I missed that. They are off the approach end of 05.

Going down to Tampa the other day, I was talking to the pax about that field and how a few airplanes have gone swimming over the years. Glad the two are fine.

Also, the Mooney isn't a runway hog if you fly the approach correctly.

I told the pax that I wouldnt mind going in there with the Cirrus if he wanted to try some seafood. I also told him to make sure I fly and not the other guy. He has a tendency to be high and fast in the Cirrus. lol. In his defense, most of his time is in a fire-breathing turbo, dragtastic twin.

just seems that there's more of this going on in the recent past than I can remember...flying into CDK, you gotta stick-it on the numbers.

No room to float on that runway...

Meh, it's not a hard runway to land on, at all.

For some reason it being on that little key gets into people's heads and they fly garbage approaches.

Been into there with students lots of times, it's nothing difficult.

I'd be happy to take a turboprop into that strip.

Meh, it's not a hard runway to land on, at all.

For some reason it being on that little key gets into people's heads and they fly garbage approaches.

Been into there with students lots of times, it's nothing difficult.

I'd be happy to take a turboprop into that strip.

The first time I flew there I was having a nice seafood lunch on the deck and there was either a Pilatus or TBM doing T&Gs for 1/2 hour or more. It's certainly doable. 2200' with essentially no obstacles isn't hard. But you've got to be on your numbers in anything slick or you'll float out to sea... so to speak.

John

He decided his Mooney couldn't compete with the other 90 on TAP and wanted that Bonanza in time for Airventure.

Rwy 5 is certainly easier to approach on then 23. Though 23 is not hard. With rwy 5 you have nothing but water and a runway. For 23 you have to come in over the town, but again, no big deal as long as you don't float as others said.

My first trip out there I did three approaches in a 172, had two go-around's and one landing heh..Don't know what was so intimidating about the approach as I fly out of KSPG quite a bit and the 18/36 runway isn't very much longer.

Glad to hear that those aboard survived, but what happens to an airplane that gets ditched in salt water?

There is not a vat of LPS 1,2,3 large enough

The FAA guy from Sarasota told me today that at low tide he could basically walk out to the plane. Pretty good tide differentials last few days at CK.
Incident happened about high tide.

Back