Another Video Test (Including A Lame Low Approach!)

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Okay, so I broke down and bought a real gopro (Hero 5 black). The knockoff was okay but the gopro has more manual control and better accessories. I also bought a Luxebell housing which is nice since it has a 52mm filter thread so it can always have a lens cap. I put a 52mm..77mm step up ring on it and then put a 77mm Variable ND filter on it. Seems to get rid of the prop "bananas" pretty nicely.

The tablet in the panel is a iPad mini 4 running Garmin Pilot and showing SynVis (when I remember). Nice for video's I guess. So @denverpilot, this is the mini 4 and Garmin Pilot combo in action!

My audio adapter hadn't arrived yet so I recorded to on old audio recorder but the tracks are off a bit thus the cool echo.

I even tried a very lame low approach. Was kinda fun. And right during the best part someone about 75miles away gives the classic "An traffic in the pattern please advise" ... and someone actually answers :)

For the audio and video tracks being out of sync, you can use the old movie technique of clapping in sight of the camera at the beginning of filming.

(You know like those Hollywood clapper boards with the stripes and a chalkboard or whiteboard of what the scene is written on them, but you don’t need all of that...)

Then all you have to do in your video editor is line up the clap at the beginning with the audio track, and it’ll stay in sync for a long time.

(The video and audio compression aren’t perfect and about an hour in you’ll start to see they’ve drifted slightly apart. Another clap or sound that can be both heard and seen can be used to sync up at a cut again if you’re doing cut shot editing.)

I got a chuckle out of being able to see how slow you got (nice!) on that second landing because your iPad switched to the taxi diagram while you were still in the flare. :)

For the audio and video tracks being out of sync, you can use the old movie technique of clapping in sight of the camera at the beginning of filming.

(You know like those Hollywood clapper boards with the stripes and a chalkboard or whiteboard of what the scene is written on them, but you don’t need all of that...)

Then all you have to do in your video editor is line up the clap at the beginning with the audio track, and it’ll stay in sync for a long time.

(The video and audio compression aren’t perfect and about an hour in you’ll start to see they’ve drifted slightly apart. Another clap or sound that can be both heard and seen can be used to sync up at a cut again if you’re doing cut shot editing.)
I did just what you suggested once at the beginning of the flight and edited it out. I never realized they would get out of synch. I am guessing my little audio recorder timing is just slightly off of the gopro 29.97fps pace. All I did to synch it was face the camera and thwack the Halo mic three times so it would trip the VOX while on video.

The good news...my audio adapter is arriving tonight. My setup will then be pretty close to @Radar Contact and I won't even have to fuss with the "clapper" until I get a second camera in play. B&H had a nice deal on the Hero 5 @ $249 and also includes a $25 e-gift card. Unfortunately it took them about 5hrs to process the gift card so the microphone adapter shipped a day later and didn't make it before the weekend.

The only thing I might do differently than @Radar Contact is to Velcro the audio adapter to the little housing to get strain relief for the USB connector. I saw a YouTube video on that by the guy who sells the housing, seems to make sense.

I got a chuckle out of being able to see how slow you got (nice!) on that second landing because your iPad switched to the taxi diagram while you were still in the flare. :)
The skylane does slow down nicely :) However, it could also be the Garmin Pilot settings for minimum speed and/or altitude thresholds. What is funny is that it won't do it at the smaller airports because the Garmin Pilot Safe Taxi doesn't support these small airports.

I'll be updating my "Mistake" thread too. On both takeoffs I was messing with the tablet down pretty low when I should have done that up at pattern altitude. And its hard to catch in the audio but on the second takeoff right as I give it power it backfired once. I edited out this long taxi back where I probably didn't lean it enough. And I pushed in the throttle too quickly. I have done this before. Its such a nice long runway that I give it a few seconds to make sure it is still full power and still plenty time to abort. The first time this ever happened I did abort the takeoff. Taxied back, ran it up and made sure it was okay.

My favorite view is when the sun lights up the panel, like on the low approach or final landing. Also, I need to land at Flying Cloud again right near sunset. Valley Fair is just off to the right (by the flooded Minnesota River). That would make for a great exterior shot on downwind.

"All other traffic, please adivse." I guess that guy doesn't read the board, huh?

"All other traffic, please adivse." I guess that guy doesn't read the board, huh?
Or the AIM! Or Bob's book :)

At least that night the radio traffic was pretty light. Actually I don't ever recall anyone responding to that call until this flight. Maybe it was a Packer's fan landing in Vikings country :)

The good news...my audio adapter is arriving tonight. My setup will then be pretty close to @Radar Contact and I won't even have to fuss with the "clapper" until I get a second camera in play. B&H had a nice deal on the Hero 5 @ $249 and also includes a $25 e-gift card. Unfortunately it took them about 5hrs to process the gift card so the microphone adapter shipped a day later and didn't make it before the weekend.

The only thing I might do differently than @Radar Contact is to Velcro the audio adapter to the little housing to get strain relief for the USB connector. I saw a YouTube video on that by the guy who sells the housing, seems to make sense.
Awesome. Good luck Brad. Looking forward to your future videos. My biggest annoyance editing is getting the different views properly synced. I hate it when I look like I'm in an old martial arts video with the lips and audio off. :)

Back