Another tragic lawsuit (NA)

God, I did dumber stuff than that in 6th grade. It is a real tragedy for the parents. But...

In line with a number of threads elsewhere here, I reiterate what I have said before. Life is inherently not safe. Risk is everywhere and, even if we dodge risk, in the end we all die anyway.

I don't know if I would have sued here. I guess it would depend on how negligent I thought the school was. It doe sound like a dumb game. But that isn't negligence in and of itself. I would imagine the teacher felt absolutely as horrible as anyone else over this.

Certainly, bankrupting the school district is going to punish no one really but the taxpayers.

Jim G

""This case was never about money," said the family's attorney, Francis Patrick Murphy. "This case has been about getting the message across to America that dangerous games should not be played in school, with or without supervision."

Then the money should be placed into an independently managed trust that exists solely to spread the message about dangerous games in school. Otherwise, it was ALL about the money.

I wonder how much the LAWYER gets. :vomit:

this case was never about money? then donate it somewhere.

I don't know all the facts but for God's sake, the kid stuffed her face full of marshmallows - unless the teacher held her down, how was she responsible? you don't necessarily see an end result of stuffing your face to be a suffocation death.

the fact that they settled says a lot - it may not have gotten very far in front of a jury but the legal fees and publicity would be high (as if CNN isn't enough publicity as it is).

You sure got that right about the money BS part ! BTW : Your picture looks different lately, change your hair ?

woodstock said:
this case was never about money? then donate it somewhere.

I don't know all the facts but for God's sake, the kid stuffed her face full of marshmallows - unless the teacher held her down, how was she responsible? you don't necessarily see an end result of stuffing your face to be a suffocation death.

the fact that they settled says a lot - it may not have gotten very far in front of a jury but the legal fees and publicity would be high (as if CNN isn't enough publicity as it is).

Dave Krall CFII said:
You sure got that right about the money BS part ! BTW : Your picture looks different lately, change your hair ?

She's naked.

I don't know. In the good old days we didn't stuff our face with marshmallows and try to say "chubby bunny" in school. Whatever happened to learning to read and write? What a senseless loss.

"Casey's parents had argued that Glenview School District and teacher Kevin Dorken were responsible for the girl's death because Dorken, who had been supervising the game, was out of the room while the children were stuffing marshmallows in their mouths to see who could hold the most and still say the words "chubby bunny.""

Seems to be pretty moronic behavior on the teachers part. NO... STUNNINGLY MORONIC. Think about it? I think there certainly were grounds for a settlement. This wasn't kid playing around. This was a classroom activity for god sakes.

If you want to scare yourself with low teacher IQ, check out "Jay Walking" on The Tonight Show, when Jay quizzes people (he highlights the "teachers" when found) on the street with brain teasers like; 'who was our first president ?' and 'who did we fight in WW II ?' !

corjulo said:
"Casey's parents had argued that Glenview School District and teacher Kevin Dorken were responsible for the girl's death because Dorken, who had been supervising the game, was out of the room while the children were stuffing marshmallows in their mouths to see who could hold the most and still say the words "chubby bunny.""

Seems to be pretty moronic behavior on the teachers part. NO... STUNNINGLY MORONIC. Think about it? I think there certainly were grounds for a settlement. This wasn't kid playing around. This was a classroom activity for god sakes.

Dave Krall CFII said:

yeah, and I gotta work on the six pack! :rolleyes:

like that photo? I took that last summer. one of my favorite statues. It is titled "Cain venant de tuer son frere Abel". no wonder he is holding his head.

the bird is a nice touch.

woodstock said:
yeah, and I gotta work on the six pack! :rolleyes:

like that photo? I took that last summer. one of my favorite statues. It is titled "Cain venant de tuer son frere Abel". no wonder he is holding his head.

the bird is a nice touch.

Oh, the statue is dude. I thought it was a chickie. Sigh... that explains a lot of things in my life:rofl:

Joe Williams said:
Oh, the statue is dude. I thought it was a chickie. Sigh... that explains a lot of things in my life:rofl:
Does Cathy know you're easily gender confused?:hairraise:

Wait, did I want to say it quite like that???
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Greebo said:
Does Cathy know you're easily gender confused?:hairraise:

Wait, did I want to say it quite like that???
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm thinking this may explain why she's sometimes wearing a business suit and when I come home from work. I feel so used, so taken advantage of...:D

Back