Another Tiger discussion

Van Johnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Van Johnston
Hi. I've been looking at a 1976 aa-5b. 5300 TT, 800 hrs on 0-time factory reman engine installed in 96. Original mccauley prop. From looking at the logs I can tell this started out as a club airplane, accumulating 2400 hrs in the first 5 yrs. It has been owned by a small partnership the last 24 yrs, averaging only 35 hrs/yr over the last 10 years. Besides the prop, it looks like there is little original equipment left (looks like everthing that could break or wear out did so in that first 5 years). It has a brand new DG, but the plane wobbled when the Century IIB autopilot was turned on during the test flight. ADF is technically inop due to no audio. I plan a pre-buy inspection that is still to be done. Primary use near term is instrument training, then just pleasure flying. Anything special I should be wary of going forward? Should I have them fix the autopilot, or use that to negotiate down and then put in something much more recent? Any other advice?

ADF? Really? How about a Loran? Seriously, what other equipment does it hae for IFR, if that is your purpose?

The issue of the autopilot is something you should use in setting your offering price, although you might want to check with an avionics shop to get an idea of what it would cost to fix. However, since the Century IIB gets roll attitude data from the AI, that might be the source of the problem, and a C-IIB compatible AI is going to run around $2000.

Not many '76 model Tigers have the purple glue (mostly '75's) but still worth checking the s/n with Fletchair (800-FA-WINGS) to see if it's on the purple glue list. If so, it's important that you get someone familiar with the purple glue issue to inspect the plane.

With 800 hours SFRM, but low utilization, you want to look carefully at the engine. The two issues of concern would be the valve guides and cam shaft corrosion. If it was reman'd in 1996, it might have either the old steel valve guides or the new high chrome guides, although if done at the factory, it's most likely the new ones. This can be determined by checking the cylinder heads for the circle-c stamp. With the new guides, the SB 388C valve guide wear "wobble" check isn't called for until 1000 hours, but with the old ones, it's every 400 hours. Getting a look at the camshaft is harder, and would require pulling a jug to get a good look -- not something which is part of a normal pre-buy.

You don't say what other avionics the plane has, but if it has an IFR approach GPS, I'd just dump the ADF.

Make sure the prop has had the AD-mandated 200-hour inspections, which go away if you replace it with the STC'd Sensenich prop. Other things to look for are the wing shoulder bolts (7250 hour life, but only $140 for parts to replace at that point), rudder pedal springs (1000 hour life, cheap and easy to replace), horizontal stab forward spar attachment point inspection (should be part of the annual), and any sign of corrosion on the top of the spar in the wing roots (easy to check through the inspection ports with a mirror and flashlight).

For a lot more on looking at Grummans, consider joining the AYA (mentioned above) and accessing the Operations/Maintenance Compendium in the members-only section of the AYA web site. And if you have no prior Grumman time, consider the AYA's Pilot Familiarization Program, also discussed on the web site. You can also get a lot of unfiltered advice on the Grumman Gang.

Last edited:
ADF? Really? How about a Loran? Seriously, what other equipment does it hae for IFR, if that is your purpose?

ADF will make you legal for many ILS approaches you would otherwise not be able to fly w/o a certified GPS

ADF will make you legal for many ILS approaches you would otherwise not be able to fly w/o a certified GPS

Understood, but wouldn't you want to buy a plane already equipped for the type of IFR flying you're reasonably going to do, or at least use it as a negotitating point?

Thanks all. I should have said it has a garmin 430, collins nav/comm #2, and DME too.

I am familiar with aya and have scoured their site all I can without pulling the trigger and joining.

Thanks all. I should have said it has a garmin 430, collins nav/comm #2, and DME too.
With a 430 in the panel, both the ADF and the DME are superfluous. Lose them both and get over ten pounds of useful load in return.

I am familiar with aya and have scoured their site all I can without pulling the trigger and joining.
if you're reasonably sure you'll be buying a Grumman, pull the trigger now. The information in the members only section alone (starting with the compendium) will save you the first year's dues.

With a 430 in the panel, both the ADF and the DME are superfluous. Lose them both and get over ten pounds of useful load in return.

Learning opportunity: can you explain a little of how a GPS (even if it's a W model) can sub for DME with the slant range issue vs GPS lat/long distance calculation.

I do not have the exact advisory circular handy. IFR approved GPS units are authorized for use to provide distance information instead of DME.

Slant range and other DME issues are minor at low altitudes.
Flight check for approaches verify that DME and gps position are within tolerances for the approach.

For you Grumman guys out there...AOPA's website (for a short while) has a headline picture of one that made it through Sandy...looks like a shelter took off the ramp in the background....Just a gee whiz photo. I feel really bad for those owners who thought the tie down would work, only to find their aircraft creamed by another or flipped upside down.

Sure glad my insurance pays to relocate, considering I'm located in coastal Florida.

Thoughts to those who are without power or had a loss...As a secondary thought, I hope your aircraft made it through as well.

Back