Another "That'll buff right out" moment

It's not like it's scheduled to fly soon.

Glad I got to see it's last takeoff...

She probably doesn't mind.

Two of her siblings and their crews never made it home...

That's what you get for parking on the street in NYC.

Head and tail tug and they couldn't get it through without hitting the fendering? Lame, just freaking lame....:nonod::nonod::nonod: What a batch of f-ups.

I'm surprised no one rowed out to the barge and offered to fix it with Bondo for fifty dollars cash.

-Rich

If they'd stopped, more likely that someone would jack it up and steal the wheels... :D

Guys you're talking about pre Giuliani New York. The stolen hub cap type thing doesn't happen anymore in the big city. However tomorrow morning 6,948 lawsuits will be filed by people claiming to have been damaged either physically or psychologically by this tragic event.

Guys you're talking about pre Giuliani New York. The stolen hub cap type thing doesn't happen anymore in the big city. However tomorrow morning 6,948 lawsuits will be filed by people claiming to have been damaged either physically or psychologically by this tragic event.

That's true. Rudy cleaned up the city, and Mike hasn't done too bad a job either (nanny-state idiocy aside). If NYC was still like it was when I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn, the Shuttle would be sitting on milk crates by morning.

-Rich

Yeah, Times Square used to be a much different sort of Disneyland...;)

I lived in New York under Giuliani (as well as before), left about the time that Bloom came into office.

While we weren't ever carjacked, you still do have frequent fender-benders and vandalism. I've had a taxi driver key my truck with me sitting in i (right after I got it painted no less).

The city has a long way to go, and is still a cesspool that should be avoided.

I lived in New York under Giuliani (as well as before), left about the time that Bloom came into office.

While we weren't ever carjacked, you still do have frequent fender-benders and vandalism. I've had a taxi driver key my truck with me sitting in i (right after I got it painted no less).

The city has a long way to go, and is still a cesspool that should be avoided.

My dad had a friend that years ago got a flat tire on the Henry Hudson Pkwy just below the GW Bridge (before the old West Side Hwy...). He proceeded to jack up the car and as he was loosening the tire bolts, the car started shaking. Got up, walked around and found a kid jacking the front of the car. When confronted, the kid said "Don't be greedy, man, you take the ones on the back and I get the front...." :yikes:

My dad had a friend that years ago got a flat tire on the Henry Hudson Pkwy just below the GW Bridge (before the old West Side Hwy...). He proceeded to jack up the car and as he was loosening the tire bolts, the car started shaking. Got up, walked around and found a kid jacking the front of the car. When confronted, the kid said "Don't be greedy, man, you take the ones on the back and I get the front...." :yikes:

I've heard many such stories. When I was little, I remember the homeless people who came up to wash your windshield. That was one of the things that Giuliani did to clean up the city - attack the small perception crimes. Theory was if you got rid of those, the big crimes would follow.

I've heard many such stories. When I was little, I remember the homeless people who came up to wash your windshield. That was one of the things that Giuliani did to clean up the city - attack the small perception crimes. Theory was if you got rid of those, the big crimes would follow.

When you were little? I don't think I'm THAT much older than you... :confused:

When I worked in NYC *cough* years ago the squeegie guys were still around. They'd smear the dirt/road salt on your windsheild around and expect you to pay. Most were fine, there were occasional ones that would show their displeasure with a thump on your fender.

When you were little? I don't think I'm THAT much older than you... :confused:

I should provide years. We're talking 1995 and earlier. Also remember Times Square before Disney came in. Lots of adult shops on the way to Penn Station.

When I worked in NYC *cough* years ago the squeegie guys were still around. They'd smear the dirt/road salt on your windsheild around and expect you to pay. Most were fine, there were occasional ones that would show their displeasure with a thump on your fender.

Yep, same guys. I remember once coming down Park Avenue (through Harlem) we ended up with 3 different guys, and they got angry at the lack of payment for their "service." Giuliani did a great service for the city by cleaning those things up.

I should provide years. We're talking 1995 and earlier. Also remember Times Square before Disney came in. Lots of adult shops on the way to Penn Station.

yeah, it lost some 'character'....

The old Peep World building (the one with the flashing eyeball on the sign) eventually became offices for a company I worked for.

Would those suits be considered Maritime or Aviation? I suspect there is a considerable difference in payout. :idea: What about adding discrimination or terror somehow as a bonus?:dunno:

yeah, it lost some 'character'....

The old Peep World building (the one with the flashing eyeball on the sign) eventually became offices for a company I worked for.

That sounds familiar, although I didn't spend much time in the area. Mainly it was in a taxi heading to Penn Station from our apartment on 96th and Madison.

I spend more time in the area now, since it's actually a place you can take friends and family.

That sounds familiar, although I didn't spend much time in the area. Mainly it was in a taxi heading to Penn Station from our apartment on 96th and Madison.

I spend more time in the area now, since it's actually a place you can take friends and family.

I used to take the #1 train between Times Square and Houston St. At Times Square, it was a hike over to the Port Authority (when I lived in NJ & took the bus or when I lived upstate and MetroNorth was on strike) or hike/train over to Grand Central (when I lived upstate & took the train). Hiking to the Port Authority was generally nicer above ground (that's saying something, isn't it....), so I got to see that stretch of the city "up close and personal".

Yeah, it's a lot better now in many ways. Though "seedy" sometimes has character.

No, the theory was Eisner said "get rid of them and I'll make a Disney theme park out of Times Square"; so in the name of tourism the small entrepreneur business man got run out of his territory and livelihood by government corrupted by corporate wealth.:popcorn:

Look at all the people put out of work from good paying occupations to a hand full of minimum wage Disney 'cast' jobs. People are stupid.

Last edited:
No, the theory was Eisner said "get rid of them and I'll make a Disney theme park out of Times Square"; so in the name of tourism the small entrepreneur business man got run out of his territory and livelihood by government corrupted by corporate wealth.:popcorn:

Look at all the people put out of work from good paying occupations to a hand full of minimum wage Disney 'cast' jobs. People are stupid.

Except that most of the businesses in that area are still the small entrepreneurs. The difference is that instead of them being smut related, they're more family oriented. Yes, there are a number of big names there, but most of the storefronts in the area are still the little guys.

Can't say I'm sorry about that change...

Except that most of the businesses in that area are still the small entrepreneurs. The difference is that instead of them being smut related, they're more family oriented. Yes, there are a number of big names there, but most of the storefronts in the area are still the little guys.

Can't say I'm sorry about that change...

No disagreement. And the property values have gone up (as have tax revenues).

Getting back to the arrival of the Shuttle for a moment, I wonder why they didn't land at EWR? Then they could have just sailed south on Newark Bay, east on Kill Van Kull, and North on the Hudson.

-Rich

Getting back to the arrival of the Shuttle for a moment, I wonder why they didn't land at EWR? Then they could have just sailed south on Newark Bay, east on Kill Van Kull, and North on the Hudson.

-Rich

Makes sense to me. BUT EWR is not as glamorous for the media as JFK.

When I worked at EWR, most of the time AF1 would land there. I wonder why as opposed to JFK or LGA since the President would be headed to NY:dunno:

-Rich

Hells Gate, but you can time that for slack water or a bit on your stern and it's an easy run. Hell, even with 7 knots pushing a good operator will get it through slick as.

Hells Gate, but you can time that for slack water or a bit on your stern and it's an easy run. Hell, even with 7 knots pushing a good operator will get it through slick as.

Hell's Gate? Why would that be a concern? You're thinking East River, my friend.

-Rich

Hell's Gate? Why would that be a concern? You're thinking East River, my friend.

-Rich

Oh, Newark, I was thinking La Guardia which is what I would have done for the photo ops. I'd have no problem pulling it down the East River, around Battery Park and up to the museum.

Okay, you had me scratching my head there for a minute.

I wonder if a 747 could even land at LGA, especially with the Shuttle mounted on top. The way the runways extend into Flushing Bay, there might be a weight issue. I do know I've never seen nor heard of a 747 landing there. Some DC-10s and L-1011s back in the day, but those are about the biggest I know of.

-Rich

Back