Another stupid question - Home improvement

I would start by removing the siding and put in new construction windows. Using quality new construction windows vs. windows designed for replacement makes a much better and more energy efficient installation.

I would go back with Hardie board siding.

http://www.jameshardie.com/main.shtml

This is a cement fiber product so it will not rot, burn, attract bugs, woodpeckers etc. The color is integrated so no painting/staining ever.

Seems like a good way to solve all your issues.

When we lived in CT we had a prob with woodpeckers chewing up the cedar on the NW side of the house - so I brought an exterminator out who discovered a few bad places that had dry rot and termites . . . the woodpeckers are looking for food. They eat insects. If they are pecking your house, your house has insects. Deal with the insects and birds go away . .. .

Two reasons for pecking - hunting for food (as in the above case) or pounding on something that resonates to attaract the babes. They used to pound on my aluminium trim. Right around sunrise.

If you have bugs, then you have a leak - either gutters or roof. Fix the leak first.

If they are pecking to make noise, your options are more limited.

Drumming and pecking are easily distinguished however.

And, usually, drumming doesn't produce large holes in siding. Pecking and eating insects do.

At least that's my experience with red bellies and pileateds in the Midwest.

I still think it'd be wasted money to replace all the siding unless there are A LOT more damaged areas than what is shown in the one photo.

But, if your problems are indeed severe enough to warrant replacing all the siding, then I'd highly recommend removing all the cedar and not just siding over it like others have suggested. Reasons: You'll have a 'true' surface to work with, you can add new insulated sheathing & install tyvec (if its not already there which will make your home more air/draft tight & energy efficient) and you won't be encapsulating a potential nightmare. (i.e. the moisture and bad wood and bugs that the woodpeckers are attacking). Plus you won't be significantly reducing your eave dimensions like you would be if you left the old siding and shimmed over it.

With that said, Hardie siding is indeed good stuff. That's what I put on my house.

Last edited:
Mari......

You didn't post pics of all sides of your house but the ones I did see showed minimal woodpecker damage.. The good news is you painted your house with a solid color stain /paint and not a semi transparent color....

If it were me I would get some heavy duty putty like Durhams (sp), mix it up and fill in the holes.. You can even add a bit of texture to it with a wire brush before it dries so it will look like the Ceder siding... Repaint the areas and do your best to keep the woodies away from here on out.... IMHO...

I can't really believe that moisture is the problem as this is the high desert. That is also the southeast corner of the house and gets a lot of sun. There are holes on the other side of the corner and in other places. Some I have patched and they have left alone but this is the worst batch... other than the holes right into the garage which has no drywall.

My reason for possibly removing the siding would be the obvious. I let them live there for a number of years so who knows what is inside the walls. Funny that two people recommended the Hardie siding because I'm getting an estimate for that. We'll see.

....... Funny that two people recommended the Hardie siding because I'm getting an estimate for that. We'll see.

I have replaced Hardie siding that was "ventilated" by woodpeckers so don't think it is a cure all...:no:

I have replaced Hardie siding that was "ventilated" by woodpeckers so don't think it is a cure all...:no:

Other than putting a net over my house I am not going to be able to discourage them from coming back. I've already tried shiny things and fake owls. If they try drilling into concrete they will at least dull their beaks.

Mari ..

When I was getting ready to sell my house up north I had the windows done first .. then the siding at the time of sale so the buyers could pick colors. The siding people can patch the holes and fit it around whatever windows you choose.

RT

I THINK I know the answer to this but would like to see what the people here say.

If I want to get both new windows and new siding, which should come first? How about new windows vs. painting the existing siding?

I've gotten answers from the internet and the window installer but they may have bias.

Be kind. I don't know all that much about construction either. :redface:

Mari ..

When I was getting ready to sell my house up north I had the windows done first .. then the siding at the time of sale so the buyers could pick colors. The siding people can patch the holes and fit it around whatever windows you choose.

RT

Thanks RT. Although I will sell this house eventually, as I don't want to "retire" here, it might not be for awhile, like maybe five years. Or it might be sooner. I don't know yet. Depends on a lot of things, much of which I have no control over, such as my mom and my medical. But I definitely want new windows and to at least fix the holes. I'll say that I have already committed to the windows with a down payment. While I don't want to be extravagant, I'm too old to be cheap so I'm not looking that way either.

Glad you're giving priority to your windows and getting your siding fixed. Sounds like a good option. Get the energy efficient windows - even if you sell the house later on you'll get a good return on this home improvement option. If there's a Champion window in your area, get a quote from them. Check this out: http://www.championwindow.com/windows/

Back