another story from my old scrap book and logs

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
I thought I would share another scrap book story with you all.

Interesting I was going going through my old scrap book and found old I found an old faded picture that my dad took of me when I was 17 at the airport. I was untiing an early Beech Bonanza a C35 when he took the picture. It was the begining of a flight that I will never forget.

I was working at the airport to earn time and money for my commercial and instrument ratings. I was very lucky for the instructor was a part owner in the Beech. I would wash and polish it up really bright and he would give me duel in return. One day in late November I told him that I wanted to give my dad a real nice birthday present. I told him that he loved the Holiday Lights of NYC and I wanted to fly him up there so that he could see them from the air. Well the plans were laid. My instructor had me fly the Beech enough hours for solo and then check me out for nights in it. He knew my dad and felt it was a great ideal.

It was early in Decmeber and the weather was just perfect. A great dome of high pressure was over the Mid Atlantic and Northeast. Take off from Friendship (now BWI) was set for sundown. Dad worked right next to Friendship at Westinghouse Defense Electronics at the time. The flight time to NYC worked out to just about one hour. one hour up, half hour of sight seeing and hour to come home. There was plenty of fuel.

Dad always love flying and his knowledge of engines was so great to me. He worked at Ranger and P&W during the 30's and 40s We took off and flew into a wonderful deep blue sky heading up to NYC.

WE flew at 3,500 feet following landmarks that my dad enjoyed. About 40 miles from NYC I called what at that time was Idlewild Tower and worked out a frequency to use. They were great for at that time many pilots loved to fly over NYC at night. We got a frequency shortly and told the controller what I wanted to do was to fly around Manhattan at 1,500 feet. He came back to me and asked; "Do you want to fly clockwise or counter clockwise"I could not believe it but yes he did asked. I told him clockwis starting on the Hudson side. I dropped down to 1,500 flew over the Statue of Liberty so dad could see all the lights and sites. We flew 5 times around the Island. Dad never said a thing. His face was pressed to the window. The controller was great. He knew the Island so well and pointed out sites as we flew along. It was so beautiful that night. I also had in my flight bag binoculars for they help to spot things such as check points and airports when you are far away. Dad used them a lotwhile looking out the window.

Now it was time to head home. I thanked the controller a million times and he wished us a nice flight home. Dad loved it. I climbed up to 2,500 and set the plane up so that he could see the New Jersey Turpike. I gave him chores to do. I got him to figure out our ground speed using the turnpike signs that he could read with the binoculars. He had a lot of fun reading off the exits and interesing our calculations were vear close. I used check points and VORs and he used the turnpike signs. The flight to Baltmore went too fast. We wanted to have the flight never end.

On the way home he seemed speechless. He never said a word. Just before we got home he stopped the car and just gave me a big hug that I can stil feel today. It brought tears to my eyes and still does today.
It was a great flight.:)

Thank you for reading.

John

John J said:
On the way home he seemed speechless. He never said a word. Just before we got home he stopped the car and just gave me a big hug that I can stil feel today. It brought tears to my eyes and still does today.

Damn, you did it again! I was just happily reading along with a warm fuzzy feeling (and curious how you could take passengers at 17) till you got to the part about the hug, then I got all misty. Another great story.

Richard and Lance;

Thank you for your very kind words. I appoligize for my grammer but I still to this day feel the emotions that I had then at 17. That was 44 years ago. I am getting my logs and scrap book together finally.

Thank you again.

John

John J said:
Richard and Lance;

Thank you for your very kind words. I appoligize for my grammer but I still to this day feel the emotions that I had then at 17. That was 44 years ago. I am getting my logs and scrap book together finally.

Thank you again.

John
John, there seems to be a correlation 'tween grammar and spelling and the emotions associated with the retelling of a fond story. What I'm saying is the less then correct grammar or spelling becomes acceptable when the story is a good one. In fact, the worse the grammar, the better the story. Emotions are like that. You keep on telling your stories!

BTW: I've met several authors who write very well and are fastiduous about their research. But would I buy their book, even when the story told is something they lived? Sometimes the answer is no because they lack a certain 'charm' which draws the reader into the story. You, John, have that charm. You write in a nondeliberate down home aw shucks kind of way. It is captivating because I feel like I am there standing on the ramp or in the cockpit.

I know we should probably wait until after the book comes out but have you given any thought to which actor should portray you in the movie?:)

John J said:
I thought I would share another scrap book story with you all.

Interesting I was going going through my old scrap book and found old I found an old faded picture that my dad took of me when I was 17 at the airport. I was untiing an early Beech Bonanza a C35 when he took the picture. It was the begining of a flight that I will never forget.

I was working at the airport to earn time and money for my commercial and instrument ratings. I was very lucky for the instructor was a part owner in the Beech. I would wash and polish it up really bright and he would give me duel in return. One day in late November I told him that I wanted to give my dad a real nice birthday present. I told him that he loved the Holiday Lights of NYC and I wanted to fly him up there so that he could see them from the air. Well the plans were laid. My instructor had me fly the Beech enough hours for solo and then check me out for nights in it. He knew my dad and felt it was a great ideal.

It was early in Decmeber and the weather was just perfect. A great dome of high pressure was over the Mid Atlantic and Northeast. Take off from Friendship (now BWI) was set for sundown. Dad worked right next to Friendship at Westinghouse Defense Electronics at the time. The flight time to NYC worked out to just about one hour. one hour up, half hour of sight seeing and hour to come home. There was plenty of fuel.

Dad always love flying and his knowledge of engines was so great to me. He worked at Ranger and P&W during the 30's and 40s We took off and flew into a wonderful deep blue sky heading up to NYC.

WE flew at 3,500 feet following landmarks that my dad enjoyed. About 40 miles from NYC I called what at that time was Idlewild Tower and worked out a frequency to use. They were great for at that time many pilots loved to fly over NYC at night. We got a frequency shortly and told the controller what I wanted to do was to fly around Manhattan at 1,500 feet. He came back to me and asked; "Do you want to fly clockwise or counter clockwise"I could not believe it but yes he did asked. I told him clockwis starting on the Hudson side. I dropped down to 1,500 flew over the Statue of Liberty so dad could see all the lights and sites. We flew 5 times around the Island. Dad never said a thing. His face was pressed to the window. The controller was great. He knew the Island so well and pointed out sites as we flew along. It was so beautiful that night. I also had in my flight bag binoculars for they help to spot things such as check points and airports when you are far away. Dad used them a lotwhile looking out the window.

Now it was time to head home. I thanked the controller a million times and he wished us a nice flight home. Dad loved it. I climbed up to 2,500 and set the plane up so that he could see the New Jersey Turpike. I gave him chores to do. I got him to figure out our ground speed using the turnpike signs that he could read with the binoculars. He had a lot of fun reading off the exits and interesing our calculations were vear close. I used check points and VORs and he used the turnpike signs. The flight to Baltmore went too fast. We wanted to have the flight never end.

Thank you for reading.

John

Sounds like NYC was a lot more laid back then John but, I guess they could afford the time with less air traffic or were the people different back then ?

John,
Thank you SO MUCH for posting this - if you don't mind, I might send this to a friend or two who don't really get why I want to do this so much. Surely this will explain it to them. Else, they just won't ever understand it, to their own loss.

I'm 53 and your story brought back my late father's hugs. Thank you, again.

My dad didn't understand flying and feared light aircraft. I began lessons after his death. I envy and applaud you and your father.

Once again John,
That was an awesome story!!
I have taken my Dad up only once, I think I need to definitely plan a trip with him after reading this.

Thanks for the awesome write up,

Richard, Tom,Dave, Alan Rudy.

Thank you all for your notes. It was very much a different time then, (1961) I feel very fortunate to have had the mentors in aviation that i had. most of them grew up in the 1920's 30's and 40's The controllers of the day many were pilots or folks who loved aviation. I am very happy to share my experience with you. GA is so much fun and I still at this age still get excited as I did when I was a kid.

Richard thanks for your encouragement about writing I hope to get some of these together in a short story form some time.

Tom please do feel free to share my the post with your friends.

Rudy I hope you get your dad flying soon. I was very lucky I got my dad up when i did.

Thanks you all again

John

lancefisher said:
Damn, you did it again! I was just happily reading along with a warm fuzzy feeling (and curious how you could take passengers at 17) till you got to the part about the hug, then I got all misty. Another great story.
You can get your private at 17. I had mine at 17.

Great story !

Last edited:
You write so well. Of course, this audience is going to find the material compelling...;) But it is a GREAT story. I want one of that first printing of books when you "get 'er done".

Reminds me too, I, like Rudy, have only taken my dad up once. Gotta fix that before it's... Well, you know.

Jim G

Great story and great write-up! Gotta love it when those stories stay so strong in the memory. I look forward to the time I get to take my Dad up for a flight. I have a feeling it'll be similar to your flight although it won't be over NYC but the foothills of the Mogollon Rim area in Central Arizona.

Jesse, Jim G. and T.D.

Thank you for your notes. Jesse congrats on getting the ticket at 17. wow it brings back that great day when no matter what age we can take our dads and moms for the first ride.

T.D. I would love to fly over the Mogllon Rim some day but that will have to wait a while.

Jim G. I am working on some short stories and I will always remember all of your support. Right now work is ruling the time but I have found I work long hand during lunch and then at night or very early in the morning to write. Hopefully I will have a collection of short stories to put into a book.

Thanks again

John

Just re-read your last story here and again noticed your avitar John. Did you get a chance to fly the full screen simulator where the pilot lays on the wing and does the wing warping and all during the recent Centenial of Flight ?

Most difficult sim/aircraft I've ever flown. Managed a minute flight on my third try. All other "flights" ended in crashes quite rapidly.

As always a captivating read John. Will you please publish your scrap book or at least meet some of us for a fly in and show us your photos. Your stories are just great and well written.

Dave

I did try it out and wow yup I crashed it too. Lots of body movement and I have no ideal how long I kept it going but I sure sweated a lot. Interesting in 1994 I got to see the last glider those guys put together and what is so amazing is that they designed it with negative diheideral which makes it pretty unstable. I read the biography of Calibraith Rogers who flew the "Vin Fiz" accross the US in 1911 in 89 days with 11 crashes. (please correct me if I am wrong) Amazing he was taught to fly by Charlie Taylor who design the engines for the Wrights. I have a picture in a book of Rogers with a big cigar at the controls of the Wright B model. Yikes

John

Adam and Ben;

I cannot thank you both enough. I really appreaciate your encouragement. I do hope to get to some fly in's in the spring. I am going to organize my logs and scrap book.

Thank you very much.

John

Last edited:
Okay, thanks to Kent, I'll pull a Scott and resurrect this thread! http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=319901

John, that's a great story and, like Lance, I was misting up at the hug! :yes:

(And I know the editors would have taken care of any pesky grammar or spelling problems in the book, while retaining your special feel. That's what they're paid for!:yes:)

I'll plan on getting a copy of the book for my niece when she's a little older, and maybe for the libraries in the meantime!

Well, I'm glad Grant bumped this up again! I don't think I was around when it John first posted it. Now I too have had the pleasure of reading this fond memory...

Wow.. I don't know how/why I missed this the first time it was posted.

GREAT story! And told in the best way possible - from the heart.

Thank you all and especially Grant for reviving this thread. I so overwhelmed and I can't say enough thanks

I was going through my books tonight and saw a picture that my dad took of me when I flew him to see my aunt ( his sister) in a 1959 C-150. I looked at it and I remember I weighed 110 pounds then at 17 with a fresh PP. Dad and I flew up from Maryland to Long Island had lunch with my aunt and flew home. We could not afford to spend the night for I had to go back to work and he had to go to work the next day. It was another flight that I will always remember and I did write a 5 page story about it for my son. My son saw an early C-150 and said "Wow that must have been a long day" I told him at the time I did not want it to end for I was having so much fun flying me dad and seeing the sights.

Gosh I am going thruogh my logs and scrap book. The book was edited by my bride and a wonderful lady who was the liberian where we lived at the time. We now have a wonderful retired English teacher who is helping me with all the writing now so my bride can get a break and work on her dad's songs.

Thank you so much this means so much and yes my eyes are full of tears

John J

Wow, John; I wasn't around for the first run of this story, so I'm very glad it got bumped. I was thinking the whole time I was reading it "wow, this guy should write a book, I bet he's got a lot more stories like this." Then I read the rest of the posts and realized that you have, and I can't wait to read it! My dad rode with me for the first ever about a month ago, so this story really hits home.

Make sure someone starts a new thread when that book becomes available. I for one will be looking to purchase a copy, and I rather suspect that I will not be alone in that.

I've missed your stories on here, John.

Jim G

Matthew and Jim G.

Thank you both I am looking sharing some more stories here. Jim G I was just looking at my first hour of flight and I will share the notes that I have soon. I remember writing about all my flying aventures from the first hour.
The last 2 or so years I was working very long hours and had to relo so I never could get to my books and scrapbook which really about 10 big spiral bound books all taped and bagged up and stored.

We just moved to our new place and it is a real joy to be finally home and not in some rented place where we can enjoy writing. I just finished unpacking my books and yes the scrapbook is sitting next to me now and it is fun to look at it again. I got the ideal about building my scrapbook from my primary instructor. He even had pictures in his and he always encourage keeping a scrap book.

Thank you all for your encouragement and support. We will fire up the old type writter ( lap top now; the Royal ran out of ribbon)

John J

Back