Another Stellar Job in Journalism

WakeNCAgent

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
This was taken from the UPI newsfeed. I wonder how, exactly, one would instruct a passenger to dump fuel from a 150? That's ridiculous, but then again, it is a news article.

FORBES, Australia, Jan. 25 (UPI) -- A passenger on a Cessna 150 was forced to take the controls after the pilot blacked out, officials in Australia said.
The unidentified passenger took the helm about 1 p.m. Saturday over Forbes, Australia, after the pilot passed out, the Sydney Morning Herald reported. Air controllers offered instructions on how to dump fuel in anticipation of an emergency landing, the Australian Transportation Safety Bureau said.

The pilot eventually came to and landed the aircraft without incident.

Paramedics took the pilot to a nearby hospital for treatment. He was listed in stable condition.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...0-in-flight/UPI-28701390679425/#ixzz2rXm6ChUz

I'd love to have them show me how to dump fuel in a 150. :rofl:

And we wonder why the public is ill informed. With know-nothing reporters like that it's no wonder.

It's easy. Roll inverted and dump it out the fuel vents. :)

More likely, he was instructed to burn the fuel off.

I'd be ready to learn a new procedure. The reporter really did his homework on that article.

More likely, he was instructed to burn the fuel off.

Why? A 150 can land with full fuel. Given that the only problem was with the pilot and not with the airplane I'm sure the only mention of fuel over the radio (if there was even a slight mention) was to read what the fuel gauges say.

Why? A 150 can land with full fuel. Given that the only problem was with the pilot and not with the airplane I'm sure the only mention of fuel over the radio (if there was even a slight mention) was to read what the fuel gauges say.

In a 150? Why bother? They'll just read the wrong thing anyway!

Emergency Procedures:

Fuel dump - open door, push out gas can, close door.

If the 150 took off with the weight, it can certainly land at least once.. What is the problem?

Sounds better for the masses.

Yes, but if an untrained newbie is going to slam in on the nosegear, wouldn't it be less likely to break if lighter?

Just speculating. The news report is obviously wrong.

Back