Another SSRI Question

U

Unregistered

I recently (2 months ago) stopped taking Zoloft. I was on a low dose for quite a few years for anxiety. Basically I had a panic attack at a stressful point in my life and my doctor recommended Zoloft. I had no noticible side effects so I continued taking it.

I stumbled across this site researching FAA medical requirements and this SSRI thing has me a bit worried. My question: Does my prior use of SSRIs affect my ability to obtain my medical? Do I need to disclose my use of SSRIs or is it not an issue since I no longer take them? If yes to either of these then how long do I have to wait before it is not an issue?

Again, my doctor prescribed Zoloft for anxiety, not for depression. I have never been diagnosed with depression.

Yes, you are absolutely going to have issues with SSRI use no matter whether it was for depression, anxiety, OCD, or even smoking cessation. You're going to need to be off the meds for at least 60 days with a report from your treating physician that you have a stable mood and no adverse side-effects. This is a mandatory deferral as far as I know. If they have any inkling that you may have persistent problems, they may request additional psych test.

You don't need to disclose drugs you are not currently taking, but your anxiety disorder is reportable under question 18 in the "Have you ever..."

The best way to get a good read on this is to contact Dr. Bruce Chien (www.aeromedicaldoc.com). He was one of the authors of the FAA SSRI special issuance protocol. However, I'm not sure you qualify for that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back