Another SpaceX launch tonight

Three years ago we had a "Whattheheck is THAT?!" moment here in Phoenix. You don't expect to see space launches around here, but for this Falcon 9 launch from Vandenberg CA (500 miles away), the sunlight was just right. It appeared to be slowly descending behind a nearby mountain range, when it was actually following the curvature of the earth southbound as it was reaching orbit.

EE658740-6E43-4DB5-ABDB-AB8ED0C138FA.jpeg

Cool photos. Watched the launch.

Didn’t even realize until tonight that Karen didn’t know the Falcon flies back to the barge or the launch site. She just doesn’t track these things.

She was here watching also, and was impressed.

I promised to gather up some of the more um... spectacular arrivals ... when they were still sorting that all out, and make a little playlist for her. Kaboom. LOL. :)

We always joke when watching this stuff... way back to Shuttle... that when I have a bad engineering day, nobody dies.

Those engineers have a bad day...

I mean yeah, I can kill an entire company or six with a mistake, and we all don’t have jobs anymore... but I can’t directly kill anybody.

SCE to Aux, kids. Just be that good at what you do, and it’ll all go well...

Just simply amazing what this company can do... two craft docked at the ISSDED68513-777B-4431-BC76-DF77D8D0BA4A.jpeg83029A1C-3BDD-465C-B6C9-2D4AA183794E.jpeg

The other evening, while on a night sail, we saw the SpaceX Starlink train. https://findstarlink.com

No one on the boat had seen anything like this before, and the guesses went from UFOs to drones. They were not very bright, but definitely moving in a line across the sky at a speed that was too fast for an airplane or other satellites I have seen. It was hard to tell how high they were. Strangest thing I have ever seen in the sky...

I did some internet searching the next day, and I'm sure it was the Starlink train.

The other evening, while on a night sail, we saw the SpaceX Starlink train. https://findstarlink.com

No one on the boat had seen anything like this before, and the guesses went from UFOs to drones. They were not very bright, but definitely moving in a line across the sky at a speed that was too fast for an airplane or other satellites I have seen. It was hard to tell how high they were. Strangest thing I have ever seen in the sky...

I did some internet searching the next day, and I'm sure it was the Starlink train.

I saw them driving home from work last Friday. Pretty freaky looking!

Those things are causing some problems for space research. I hear they have been working to make later sets of satellites less reflective.

Back