Another Small Airport Bites . . . . .

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
. . . . into the dirt.Twitchell's Airport, 3B5 in Turner, Maine. When the project is completed runway #30 will be 300' longer at the Route #4 end; and #12 will have trees cleared and 100' added on the Androscoggin River end.
Photos from 04-24-07(when it was too windy to fly, so I'm going back today).

The shot of the three trees? The green branches on the ground are the result of the recent Patriot's Day howling storm. The dead branches and the stubby tree branches are those created by my plane three years ago.

HR

Attachments

• Twitchell's1 042407.jpg
    Twitchell's1 042407.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Twitchell's2 042407.jpg
    Twitchell's2 042407.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Twitchell's3 042407.jpg
    Twitchell's3 042407.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 14
  • Twitchell's4 042407.jpg
    Twitchell's4 042407.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Twitchell's5 042407.jpg
    Twitchell's5 042407.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Nice! From what I understand, there is also going to be a significant runway expansion at SBY - a regional airport in Salisbury, MD. I'm not sure, but I think work may have already started.

Also, a new restaurant just opened up there called Jimmy's Grille. I haven't eaten at this one, but I've been to their other place and it's pretty good food. If you're ever through there, check it out!

Nice! From what I understand, there is also going to be a significant runway expansion at SBY - a regional airport in Salisbury, MD. I'm not sure, but I think work may have already started.

I bet Ron can fill us in.

Does anyone know why the ramp is completely torn up at Fond du Lac? (FLD) They better repave in a hurry, there's only 3 months left to Airventure!

Harley,

Is the airport open during this construction work? I made plans to fly to 3B5 during the second or third week in May to review my float flying.

I was talking to Tom O'Connel last week in Lakeland and he told me that Mike Twitchell is no longer there and that one of the younger Twitchell brothers and two new partners bought and took over the operation of the airport. I guess the new construction and expansion is part of the "new blood" transfused into the old airport.

It certainly is a beautiful place to fly into and a friendly atmosphere to train in.

Harley,

Is the airport open during this construction work? I made plans to fly to 3B5 during the second or third week in May to review my float flying.

I was talking to Tom O'Connel last week in Lakeland and he told me that Mike Twitchell is no longer there and that one of the younger Twitchell brothers and two new partners bought and took over the operation of the airport. I guess the new construction and expansion is part of the "new blood" transfused into the old airport.

It certainly is a beautiful place to fly into and a friendly atmosphere to train in.

Full operation! Mike Twitchell retired; Dale Twitchell remains as a partner with the new owners(local folks). I think Dale told me he has another brother coming in as an employee. Oh, Mike Twitchell will still be "around" for teaching; however, on a relaxed schedule. I saw Tom O'Connell when I was there the last couple days. He's a character.

HR

EDIT: Let me know when you're coming.

The shot of the three trees? The green branches on the ground are the result of the recent Patriot's Day howling storm. The dead branches and the stubby tree branches are those created by my plane three years ago.

sl_02.jpg

Charlie Brown hates that plane-eating tree.

Back