Another silly excitement

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
So tomorrow I am planning a flight for a quick getaway. I like to fly to airports I hadn't been before; this was a last-minute plan.

Anyway, decided to check out E45, and lo and behold, the cub had a room available. So that's where I'm headed.

Why is this exciting for me? because E45 is where I planned my checkride cross-country... and if I'm not mistaken, I'll be crossing my 100-hr mark on the flight back. Kinda neat. I just pulled my checkride XC plans and looked them over fondly, how nicely organized they were, and how by their mere abundance of data they reflect how much experience I did NOT have. It's amazing how much one learns with every single flight one takes, just from operating in the environment if nothing else.

Watch our for the Fleet Week TFR in case you were tempted to take a Bay Tour on the way back.

Watch our for the Fleet Week TFR in case you were tempted to take a Bay Tour on the way back.

No kidding. I had two meetings in SJ and Menlo Park today, and thought of flying in instead of driving. Then I saw that TFR and decided it was too much to deal with for lil' ol' me. Boy, did I hate it when it took me over two hours to drive back home afterwards in our fabulous traffic.

Fantastic flights both in and out... and neatly enough, I got to ask for and receive my first special VFR clearance ever getting into CCR, because it was overcast at 800ft (but I could duck in under the clouds over the delta). That was a rather fun approach!

Hey, nice! Thanks for reporting back.

I copped a good flight today too, not very exciting but beautiful.

Hey, nice! Thanks for reporting back.

I copped a good flight today too, not very exciting but beautiful.

Where from/to?

I started another thread on the SVFR clearance... led to some interesting learning.

The best thing about yesterday's flight? coming in to E45 and being so immersed in the beauty of it all that I sort of "forgot" to land... only realized I was working on "full auto" brain mode when I was on mid-final. In a way it was neat, too, because while I was paying a lot less conscious attention I still went through all the motions more or less correctly. I'm used to being a lot more cognizant of every little move I make, but seems like some basic tasks are now fairly well "sunk in".

By the way, it really is breath taking. If you have an opportunity to fly to and land at E45, I strongly recommend it. Stay at the Cub Inn (Joe, the owner, is an old-time pilot and an awesome host), then go for a flight around Yosemite the next morning. Breath taking doesn't begin to cover it.

Heck I was at the nearest airport to the south only 2 weeks ago, sorry I missed Pine Mountain -looks like a cool one on airnav.
I read the svfr thread, nice reporting.
My flight today was in cool clear air with little traffic and nice views of mountains, desert, some city.

Heck I was at the nearest airport to the south only 2 weeks ago, sorry I missed Pine Mountain -looks like a cool one on airnav.
I read the svfr thread, nice reporting.
My flight today was in cool clear air with little traffic and nice views of mountains, desert, some city.

Find a reason to come again... it's stunning!

I still enjoy every moment up there, be it over "boring" or exciting scenery. Every trip is an adventure... I hope that never goes away.

Back