Another SIC type question.

Garrett_

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
garrett_
I have read 61.55 and a dozen threads of people arguing about requirements for SIC type rating but still was curious if anyone could point me directly to an answer:

I have a CE525(S) type rating. My father in law flys a Citation X (Part 91).
In order for me to act as a right seat (in the US) in the X with him, am I required to get the SIC type rating per 61.55? If so, can he sign me off despite not having any instructor qualifications? If not required I can legally be right seat just can't log time?

Is the SIC only required if flying international? and if so same question on if he can give me the log book endorsement.

Confused on the "trainer" wording in 61.55

Thank you for any help.

Domestically you only need to comply with 61.55(b), and of course (a). You do t need an SIC type rating.

Notice that “become familiar with” and “log” are the primary requirements. The only “training” required is the CRM training, which would have to be done by an instructor, but I don’t see anything that says it’s type-specific.

I’ll also point in it the annual requirement for 61.55(b).

MauleSkinner has it right, no SIC type rating required for domestic (US) ops. Note that I'd guess insurance requirements for a Citation X SIC may be quite a bit more rigorous than 61.55.

Domestically you only need to comply with 61.55(b), and of course (a). You do t need an SIC type rating.

Notice that “become familiar with” and “log” are the primary requirements. The only “training” required is the CRM training, which would have to be done by an instructor, but I don’t see anything that says it’s type-specific.

I’ll also point in it the annual requirement for 61.55(b).

Thank you both. This was my original understanding when I read it but wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one interpreting it that way.

Note that I'd guess insurance requirements for a Citation X SIC may be quite a bit more rigorous than 61.55.

That is my experience. As you progress into bigger, faster, more expensive aircraft, insurance becomes the deciding factor more so that regulation.

That is my experience. As you progress into bigger, faster, more expensive aircraft, insurance becomes the deciding factor more so that regulation.
I'd agree with that

Back