Another Shower of Sparks thread.

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
Not wanting to thread drift the other thread, I thought I would ask my question here.

Over the past several days I have learned a great deal more about my ignition system than the normal rote memorization and rudimentary analysis of reading comprehension of the POH. Since the Aerostar I fly had a left mag failure on the left engine, and the A&P came out, I have learned a bit through the process of repairing it.

He did one test that I did not believe would work, until I looked at all of the mechanics involved with the system. He grounded all of the spark plug leads except for #1 from the left mag, and disconnected the starter. We then turned on the master and ignition to start and he says we should get a spark at the lead. I was skeptical, because I was under the impression that the mag certainly had to be turning to produce any spark. In looking at the circuitry, though, with the starter/vibrator, the voltage at the primary actually pulses, causing a pulsed DC voltage enough to cause spark when at TDC. We never did get a spark, but we had voltage at the mag from the starter/vibrator circuit.

We changed the left mag, but we still had no spark at the lead, but we decided to try it anyway. It started right up and all checks were good.

One thing that puzzles me, though, is we had the starter/vibrators replaced with new solid state units and are unsure if they produce a pulsed DC voltage, which would allow a spark to generate without turning the mag, or if it only adds a small voltage to the primary to induce a hotter spark during the start sequence. Voltage checks at the p lead seem to indicate the latter.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the new solid state units and how they work as compared to the starter/vibrators?

By any chance do you recall how much voltage you had at the mag from the vibrator circuit? Was it greater than 4v?

Your shower of sparks is defective.
Yeah, it will start (under normal conditions) by cranking - without the SOS working - because the mag fires a spark when rotating just like every other aircraft engine.
And the run up mag check will be normal just like every other engine..
You need to find out why the SOS is not working because it is likely to be required equipment (?) - as well as nice to have on a cold day with stiff oil and a slow crank.

Your shower of sparks is defective.
Yeah, it will start (under normal conditions) by cranking - without the SOS working - because the mag fires a spark when rotating just like every other aircraft engine.
And the run up mag check will be normal just like every other engine..
You need to find out why the SOS is not working because it is likely to be required equipment (?) - as well as nice to have on a cold day with stiff oil and a slow crank.

The way I am seeing how this system works, I am thinking the same thing. We just had a coincidental left mag failure as well. The SOS module may not have been working for quite some time and we may never know it.

Obviously, your guy was sure he was tdc on the compression stroke of #1? One thing you might try is moving the prop a couple of degrees one way or the other when the key is on start. Depending on wear, the retard points may open a little early or late. Best way is to use a timing box to ensure the retards are just open.

Obviously, your guy was sure he was tdc on the compression stroke of #1? One thing you might try is moving the prop a couple of degrees one way or the other when the key is on start. Depending on wear, the retard points may open a little early or late. Best way is to use a timing box to ensure the retards are just open.

He did move it back and forth, and we reaffirmed we were at TDC on the proper cylinder. It sounds like the SOS module is not working.

Those Slickstart modules are pretty bullet-proof, but they have been known to fail. Since you've taken the mag out of the equation with a fresh unit you're probably on the right track. Would appreciate it if you let us know if it is the culprit.

Good luck with it.

Back