Another Safety Pilot Question

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
As stated in a different thread, we now have a new partner who has not flown Arrow's before. Our insurance company is requiring 10 hrs dual, followed by 10 hours solo before setting him free. Question : As I have to renew my instrument currency with the six approaches and hold next weekend, can he act as safety pilot for me?

He is PPL, ASEL, IFR with a current BFR and Medical.

I thought it would be a good opportunity for him to experience the plane, fly with a partner and give us a chance to get to know each other.

He can, but I am not sure if that would go toward satisfying the insurance requirements.

As stated in a different thread, we now have a new partner who has not flown Arrow's before. Our insurance company is requiring 10 hrs dual, followed by 10 hours solo before setting him free. Question : As I have to renew my instrument currency with the six approaches and hold next weekend, can he act as safety pilot for me?

I thought it would be a good opportunity for him to experience the plane, fly with a partner and give us a chance to get to know each other.

I don't see why not. Check the policy endorsement, but I'm very certain that the 10 hours solo is a requirement for him to carry passengers while acting as PIC in the plane. If so, as long as you are the acting PIC there shouldn't be a problem. This is assuming you will do the instrument work in VMC since he;d have to be PIC in the clouds from the FAA's perspective.

91.109(b)(1)

The other control seat is occupied by a safety pilot who possesses at least a private pilot certificate with category and class ratings appropriate to the aircraft being flown.
So, yes... but if there were an incident, the insurance company may have objections. Otherwise, he's certificated and rated appropriately. If he's competent to to take control of the aircraft there's no reason why you couldn't. As said though, its only use may be for simply becoming more familiar with the aircraft.

He can, but I am not sure if that would go toward satisfying the insurance requirements.

Definitely not gonna count towards the 10 hours. When they say solo, they specifically don't want anyone else along whether they are a non-pilot in the back seat (more risk), or a fully qualified/capable pilot up front (diminishes the experience/test of ability).

When the insurer requires solo time, the only bodies that can come along are dead ones.

Thanks. I wasn't even contemplating it counting towards his solo or dual work. Just familiarization with the plane and me!!

I agree with all -- no problem with your pal acting as a SIC safety pilot for you to practice instruments under the hood while you are acting as PIC. And I cannot see that SIC time counting towards the insurance company's 10-hour solo requirement even if he already has his 10 hours of dual. Just make sure, for safety's sake, that all concerned understand that you are the PIC, with all the ramifications stemming therefrom.

If he has a current medical and at least a private pilot certificate for single engine airplanes he can act as your safety pilot while you are the PIC.

He does not need a complex endorsement.

He can also log very valuable Arrow SIC time while you are under the hood.

You guys are all talking about FAA definitions and requirements.

This is an insurance requirement, which can only be answered by the insurance company.

My guess is that the solo requirement is SOLO, so as to avoid liability of any passenger. But that is a wild guess - check with the insurance company - they are the only ones who can answer your question.

You guys are all talking about FAA definitions and requirements.

This is an insurance requirement, which can only be answered by the insurance company.

My guess is that the solo requirement is SOLO, so as to avoid liability of any passenger. But that is a wild guess - check with the insurance company - they are the only ones who can answer your question.
The question was not whether bstratt's pal could count the time towards his 10-solo-in-type requirement for the pal to act as PIC with pax, but only whether his pal could act as SIC safety pilot while bstratt is under the hood logging instrument currency events. I don't belive I've ever seen any insurance policy set any higher standard than the FAA on who can be a 14 CFR 91.109(b) SIC safety pilot. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen the issue of who can be a SIC safety pilot addressed at all. But if y'all want to call and ask, it certainly can't hurt.

From the FAA standpoint, yes.
From the insurance standpoint, that's their call.

From the FAA standpoint, yes.
From the insurance standpoint, that's their call.

If my insurance company ever restricts who can touch the controls when I'm PIC or who I can use as a SIC safety pilot, I'm going shopping for a different insurer. This is not something that's normally of interest to any insurance company.

Back