Another runaway airplane

kmead

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
kmead
A nice looking 1968 172 took off across the plains of Wellington KS this weekend without a crew. The nose gear was broken off when it stopped near the runway. The pilot/sole prop starter wasn't hurt. It seems the battery was low and it sill wouldn't start after a short charge. There seems to be a lot of these lately.

Sorry no pictures yet, just news KWCH station footage.

Kevin

How many times does this have to happen before folks stop propping planes without either a pilot at the controls or proper secural to the earth?:dunno:

I guess most of these guys never flew airplanes that had to be hand-propped, so they're not up on things like "when the propeller is spinning, forward thrust is produced -- even when there's no one in the airplane."

-Rich

This is what happens the pilot is too cheap to have a solar charger; too poorly educated to know how to do a prop start safely (Hint, it involves a $5.00 piece of rope), and too lazy to find another pilot to help out.

I say let the gene pool sort it out.

This is what happens the pilot is too cheap to have a solar charger; too poorly educated to know how to do a prop start safely (Hint, it involves a $5.00 piece of rope), and too lazy to find another pilot to help out.

Heck, one does not even need the fancy solar charger. I have airplane jumper cables. Since most of us actually drive to the airport we can get a jump if we are running a 12/14VDC electrical system. I jumped my plane from my car once. I hooked it up and was in the plane when I started it. My pax removed the jumper cables from the assy. plug and parked the car.

$5!? Must be one of those red velvet ropes they use to keep you in line at the movies.

Have you bought any good quality rope lately?

:eek:

I measured out 20' for my tail tiedown and when the guy said "$1.50 a foot," I had him cut half that.

I break a ski rope (or retire one that looks like it might break) once or twice a year and the remains work fine for tying an airplane to a fixed object. Cost: $0 (value: priceless when you need one).

Heck, one does not even need the fancy solar charger. I have airplane jumper cables. Since most of us actually drive to the airport we can get a jump if we are running a 12/14VDC electrical system. I jumped my plane from my car once. I hooked it up and was in the plane when I started it. My pax removed the jumper cables from the assy. plug and parked the car.

You just have to use your head, another skill many have forgotten. (or never learned)
One cold day my borrowed plane wouldn't start. It has no external ground plug, so I pulled my truck up close to the cowl, checked that there was sufficient clearance so the prop wouldn't hit the truck, and hooked my car jumper cables directly to the battery. Then I got in the plane and started the engine and sat there for five minutes with the engine running, the cables still connected, and MY FEET ON THE BRAKES. Then I shut the engine down, disconnected the cables and moved the truck and restarted the now warm engine. Safe and easy if you use your head.

lol has matt priced rope lately. the guy climbs trees for a living. he's the missing link.

When I was training in a Cub, one of the first things I was taught was how to hand-prop the airplane when no one else (or at least, no one I trusted) was around. There are several ways to do it, even if there's not a rope or a chock to be had.

In a pinch, for example, you can stand on the starboard side of a Cub, chock the right main with your left foot, hold on to the window frame with your left hand, and hand-prop from behind the prop with your right hand. Then reach into the airplane, idle back, and hop in. Not something I'd recommend as general practice, but it can be done if there are no better options.

But before doing something like that you have to observe a few things about your situation, such as wind direction, grade of the ground, etc. Common sense stuff, and second-nature to someone who flies a bird that doesn't have a starter. But maybe not so much for someone who doesn't.

-Rich

Last edited:
You mean like this? :)

AirMaint.jpg

In a pinch, for example, you can stand on the starboard side of a Cub, chock the left main with your left foot, hold on to the window frame with your left hand, and hand-prop from behind the prop with your right hand. Then reach into the airplane, idle back, and hop in. Not something I'd recommend as general practice, but it can be done if there are no better options.

-Rich

Last edited:
My next door neighbor in the hangar had his J-3 out today to show to a busload of preschoolers. When he indicated he was going to fly it for them to watch, I offered to prop it for him, but he said no thanks. I left and didn't watch him start it that time, but when he returned and stopped at the pumps after the kids left, I was watching when he restarted it; on the concrete ramp, from the front, with no chocks or tiedown. I walked away shaking my head...

My next door neighbor in the hangar had his J-3 out today to show to a busload of preschoolers. When he indicated he was going to fly it for them to watch, I offered to prop it for him, but he said no thanks. I left and didn't watch him start it that time, but when he returned and stopped at the pumps after the kids left, I was watching when he restarted it; on the concrete ramp, from the front, with no chocks or tiedown. I walked away shaking my head...

Oh boy.... :mad:

Was he wearing gloves (just to make the picture perfect)?

Back