Another ruined XC

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
This is the 3rd instance I planned for a dual XC and for cancelled due to WX. Last night I planned 4 diff routes in 4 diff directions due to the predictions hoping at least one would work out. Nada. MVFR and then IFR in home drone. As I waited in the airport and washed the plane from 11am to 5 pm, closed the hangar door, the sun came out.

I think I will grab a scotch now.

Route if anyone is interested is KFAR-KSAZ-KBRD while coming back KBRD-KPKD-KFAR ... hoping sometime the week after next. This will also be my one of the solo XC route after the dual

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah x-country VFR can be tough in many places. Motivation to roll right into instrument rating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can get frustrating,hang in there. That's why we get the IR rating.

It will happen...good time to drink the Scotch though. I'm up here near KDTL (drove) and it's just plain yucky. Maybe Sunday will work for you..but hot.

My instructor went out of his way (on more than one occasdion) to explain how incredibly lucky I actually was to get in all 3 solo XC in one week. I did however take time off of work to make it happen.

O i am already decided on my IR rt after ppl. Doesn't mean I will be shooting minimums rt away, but can at least bust thru the ceiling at 900 and climb on top

That should be a very scenic route from Brainerd back thru Park Rapids :) Should put you pretty close to Itasca.

That should be a very scenic route from Brainerd back thru Park Rapids :) Should put you pretty close to Itasca.
Yupp, I might fly over it. Waiting for the fall and planning one to Duluth

Washed the plane for 6 hours? I'm sure it is clean now!
Ha no, not really cleaned it for 6 hrs, but did some fictitious xc planning, played with the gps etc. Thought not as exiting as flying, better than any other thing I would have done anyday

O i am already decided on my IR rt after ppl. Doesn't mean I will be shooting minimums rt away, but can at least bust thru the ceiling at 900 and climb on top

Get some actual during your training. You should be good to fly to mins right after training.

finally today morning was the day. beautiful morning with calm winds. dual cross country done. KFAR-KDTL-KBRD then KBRD-KPKD (a citation took off 30 seconds after me and in another min or so reported 9k :p), KPKD-KDTL-KFAR
learned a ton, messed up a few things here and there (transmitting on 1 freq and listening on the VOR is one). Told CFI that we need to practice some evasive maneuvers since people in POA keep talking about -ve G and positive G during evasive maneuvers - no time wasted, he put the plane into a 60 degree bank and ASI reported 1500 decent rate and then climbed at 1000 . did that a couple of times. the zero G is fun.

then told him that before my check ride i want to fly without instruments, wish granted, he found a paper and covered the 6 pack (i gotto be careful what i wish for) and asked me fly for about 10 miles and land. mostly did good, somehow flared a bit high - not sure where that came from though. anyway, last week did some 2 night flights. boy it was gusty with moderate chops in short final, had real difficulty judging flare height and finding the dam runway. need more work on that.

next step - solo to practice area (per cessna curriculum), then solo XC.. and the boring written exam (i feel so tired just by thinking about it)

Awesome!!! Are you done with your night flights now too?

Okay dumb question...what do you mean by "(per cessna curriculum)" regarding the solo to practice area?

I've been studying for the written as well. Finally decided to also purchase a online course and going through it each night.

When you do hood time, does your instructor cover most of the instruments? When I put on the hood, he always immediately takes away the vertical speed, airspeed, turn coordinator and sometimes the DG. About half way thru he''ll uncover the turn coordinator but take away the AI. I think this helped a lot for the night flight.

I've never done a "loss of all instruments" landing scenario...I think I just might queue that request up! We've done landings with no flaps (since ours are electric and could fail).

So awesome to hear you're getting cruising again...especially the solo stuff. Way to go Wannfly :)

finally today morning was the day. beautiful morning with calm winds. dual cross country done. KFAR-KDTL-KBRD then KBRD-KPKD (a citation took off 30 seconds after me and in another min or so reported 9k :p), KPKD-KDTL-KFAR
learned a ton, messed up a few things here and there (transmitting on 1 freq and listening on the VOR is one). Told CFI that we need to practice some evasive maneuvers since people in POA keep talking about -ve G and positive G during evasive maneuvers - no time wasted, he put the plane into a 60 degree bank and ASI reported 1500 decent rate and then climbed at 1000 . did that a couple of times. the zero G is fun.

then told him that before my check ride i want to fly without instruments, wish granted, he found a paper and covered the 6 pack (i gotto be careful what i wish for) and asked me fly for about 10 miles and land. mostly did good, somehow flared a bit high - not sure where that came from though. anyway, last week did some 2 night flights. boy it was gusty with moderate chops in short final, had real difficulty judging flare height and finding the dam runway. need more work on that.

next step - solo to practice area (per cessna curriculum), then solo XC.. and the boring written exam (i feel so tired just by thinking about it)

Real good story! The solo XC is when you will really feel like a pilot. I can still remember mine even though it was like 6 years ago around this time of year! Enjoy the flight!

Awesome!!! Are you done with your night flights now too?

Okay dumb question...what do you mean by "(per cessna curriculum)" regarding the solo to practice area?

I've been studying for the written as well. Finally decided to also purchase a online course and going through it each night.

When you do hood time, does your instructor cover most of the instruments? When I put on the hood, he always immediately takes away the vertical speed, airspeed, turn coordinator and sometimes the DG. About half way thru he''ll uncover the turn coordinator but take away the AI. I think this helped a lot for the night flight.

I've never done a "loss of all instruments" landing scenario...I think I just might queue that request up! We've done landings with no flaps (since ours are electric and could fail).

So awesome to hear you're getting cruising again...especially the solo stuff. Way to go Wannfly :)

yupp, done with night flight. day 1 did about 7 landings, before that went up and did some slow flights and power off stalls in dark. found it very hard to recover from stall when all visual cues are gone, almost got into secondary stall. 2nd night took a night XC - KFAR - KJMS - KGFK - KFAR. smooth as glass and really enjoyed it, but finding the runway was challenging. turned the intensity lights way to high and then had real hard time adjusting to that right before landing, that was dumb. i would like to practice a little more at night before i take on any pax though. on a diff note, JGFK had about 25 students in the air at 2315 .. it was nuts, all i could see in my ADSB are UND tail numbers

during hood time, he never covered up any instruments, but i have it in the books sometime and go over some partial panel under hood and no gyro approaches (at altitude). landing with all instruments covered was much easier than i thought actually right until i flared (i was carrying a lot of airspeed), i did have the tach on though, so kind of did known power setting thing.

"as per cessna curriculum"... my school is a cessna flight school and they follow a curriculum (could be cessna or kind, donno) that breaks down how a student should get his required 10 hr solo, one of them is going to the practice area for an hour before sending em over to xc.

thats the only one left before i launch in my xc. for the first one i might keep it short to KJMS and then some big triangles to Bismarck or grand rapids (may be duluth, donno, its too pretty to go there this time of the year and not enjoy the scenery ) or to SD.

Edit: i do no flaps landing too at times, but the chances of my mechanical flap failing is pretty slim. on a diff note, while taking off from KBRD, it would really suck if the fan stops at 400 ft.. the only choices are bunch of trees or lake :eek:

Back