Another Route Help Request: KSAN-KOSH

farmrjohn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
farmrjohn
Thinking about a flight to the Osh area and back next month from San Diego and looking for route suggestions, tips, tricks, techniques, etc. Parameters: VFR flight, 250 mile legs, no oxygen, daylight hours, below floors of MOAs ok with good terrain clearance. In particular I'm looking how to get east of the rocks, either by going to Las Vegas/Salt Lake then over to Rock Springs (I-80? and which pass); or to Kingman then I-40 to New Mexico for the turn; or I-8 to Yuma, Tucson then New Mexico for the turn. Of course each choice will depend on the current weather, winds, and temperatures, and to a certain extent if the restricted areas are active. Also, what would be good locations for layovers?

When I made my way back to the Midwest, I stayed south of Colorado. From SAN, just head east til you get past Colorado then hang a slight left and it's easy peasy the whole way.

When I went to Kansas City, Missouri, from Fullerton, California, last summer, I went southeast to Yuma, to Tucson, to El Paso... That's what I would do and then I'd pretty much go direct to Madison.

250 miles has you falling short of Phoenix metro. You sure about that first parameter?

Edit: to try and be the most helpful, in addition to 250 mile leg limits, what’s your daily miles covered limit and/or estimated gs and time per day?

Last edited:
When I went to Kansas City, Missouri, from Fullerton, California, last summer, I went southeast to Yuma, to Tucson, to El Paso... That's what I would do and then I'd pretty much go direct to Madison.
Thanks, hadn't looked at continuing to El Paso after Tucson vs. turning north east at Deming after Tucson.

250 miles has you falling short of Phoenix metro. You sure about that first parameter?

Edit: to try and be the most helpful, in addition to 250 mile leg limits, what’s your daily miles covered limit and/or estimated gs and time per day?
The 250 miles is conservative, allowing for headwinds but is not a hard limit. For planning fuel consumption is 5.5 gal./hr at 90 knots, with 18 gal. useable before 6 gal. reserve, three legs/day.

I'm considering the following routing to get out of Cali:
MYF-BVU-DTA-RKS…
MYF-IGM-INW-ABQ-DHT…
MYF-E63-DMN-SXU…
(all mostly following major highways, not direct routings)

Critiques?

Last edited:
Thanks, hadn't looked at continuing to El Paso after Tucson vs. turning north east at Deming after Tucson.

The 250 miles is conservative, allowing for headwinds but is not a hard limit. For planning fuel consumption is 5.5 gal./hr at 90 knots, with 18 gal. useable before 6 gal. reserve, three legs/day.

I'm considering the following routing to get out of Cali:
MYF-BVU-DTA-RKS…
MYF-IGM-INW-ABQ-DHT…
MYF-E63-DMN-SXU…
(all mostly following major highways, not direct routings)

Critiques?
5.5 gal hr. Watcha flying?

Make a circle. Go one way there and another way back.

What about:
MYF --(174nm)--> KHII --(211nm)-->BCE --(197nm)--> KGJT (overnight)
And you get to check out the Grand Canyon on the way.

KGJT --(197nm)--> KCPR --(260nm)--> VTN--(171nm)--> KFSD (overnight) or push it to
SE MN (55Y allows(ed) camping on the field) or SW WI for a fuel stop and stage into OSH on the last day.

On the way back go see KS OK and NM on the way home.

Last edited:
I think your safest route is

KMYF KNYL E63 KTUS KELP WHOLE KOSH

Just PYOS (pick your own stops) along this route...

What about:

KGJT --(197nm)--> KCPR --(260nm)--> VTN--(171nm)--> KFSD (overnight) or push it to
SE MN (55Y allows(ed) camping on the field) or SW WI for a fuel stop and stage into OSH on the last day.

On the way back go see KS OK and NM on the way home.
HII closed until June 11th FYI

5.5 gal hr. Watcha flying?
Alon Aircoupe with an O200

What about:
I'm assuming depart SE out of BCE before heading towards Escalante, either through the pass or S of Cannan Peak. I hadn't considered going via the Western Slope of Colorado, and would consider hanging a right turn along I-80 towards Laramie (where I initially learned to fly many moons ago). Getting in a landing at KLXV (Lake County/Leadville) would be a little too much out of the way:)

I think your safest route is

KMYF KNYL E63 KTUS KELP WHOLE KOSH

Just PYOS (pick your own stops) along this route...
That most likely would come more into play for the return. The title includes OSH since it's well know, but the first destination stop will be FSD (Sioux Falls) then the second will be MSN (Madison). I like the idea of a circular routing, but weather will be the biggest factor determining which way to finally go. Darned mountains and restricted areas complicate things…:)

General question: how are the smaller fields for getting lodging/transportation?

Alon Aircoupe with an O200

I'm assuming depart SE out of BCE before heading towards Escalante, either through the pass or S of Cannan Peak. I hadn't considered going via the Western Slope of Colorado, and would consider hanging a right turn along I-80 towards Laramie (where I initially learned to fly many moons ago). Getting in a landing at KLXV (Lake County/Leadville) would be a little too much out of the way:)

That most likely would come more into play for the return. The title includes OSH since it's well know, but the first destination stop will be FSD (Sioux Falls) then the second will be MSN (Madison). I like the idea of a circular routing, but weather will be the biggest factor determining which way to finally go. Darned mountains and restricted areas complicate things…:)

General question: how are the smaller fields for getting lodging/transportation?

When I launched out of BCE I did have to go south of that mesa. I thought I could outclimb it in the Cherokee near gross, but that wasn't gonna happen with a DA of 11400.

Back