Another RJ off the runway at MSN

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Whee.

Two years ago (I think it was two, not last year) an RJ slid off the end of a 9,000 foot runway and took out the approach lights after a prior jet had to use its thrust reversers to stop and reported braking action nil.

I don't know what happened beforehand today, but another RJ went off the runway at MSN. (See picture below, Kate took it as we drove past the airport.)

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/11995171.html

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/11995171.html said:
An incoming United Airlines plane slid off the runway at Dane County Regional Airport Saturday. It happened at 11:20am.

25 passengers, 4 crew members were on board flight #7258. The flight originated from Chicago. There were no injuries reported.

The plane slid off the runway as it was making a turn onto the taxiway.

Statement from United Airlines: "Safety is our number one priority and we will fully investigate this incident. We are working to get our customers to their destination safely and as quickly as possible."

This, just three hours after an RJ slid off a taxiway at DSM this morning:

http://www.channel3000.com/weather/14745028/detail.html?rss=c3k&psp=nationalnews

http://www.channel3000.com/weather/14745028/detail.html?rss=c3k&psp=nationalnews said:
After Des Moines International Airport was closed for most of the morning, airport officials said flights were to likely resume at about 2:15 p.m. CST Saturday.

Officials closed the airport at about 8:15 a.m. Saturday after a United Airlines plane slid off a taxiway as it was heading to a runway for a flight to Chicago. An airport spokesman said the 44 passengers were taken back to the terminal by bus.

The airplane was removed from the runway shortly after 1 p.m. CST.

Jeff Kovick, a United spokesman, said the company is investigating.
"Safety is our no. 1 priority. We'll fully investigate the incident. We're focusing on trying to get our customers to their destinations as safely and as quickly as possible," Kovick said.

Hmmm. :dunno:

the promised photo?

Oops... Let's try that again.

BTW, it wasn't Greg's airline... In both cases (that is, both MSN and DSM today, I can't remember what the last one was), it was "Air Shuttle" AKA Mesa Airlines, operating as United Express. I even got to hear the tower controller say "Air shuttle 7296, call xxx-xxx-xxxx" on my handheld as I drove by. Uh oh.

Attachments

• ASH7296.jpg
    ASH7296.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 43
according to the local news here, 2 RJs slid off the runways/taxiways at des moines this morning. a Northwest RJ went off before the United flight that closed the airport.

according to the local news here, 2 RJs slid off the runways/taxiways at des moines this morning. a Northwest RJ went off before the United flight that closed the airport.

Makes one wonder how often thrust reversers save airliners landing on snowy runways on the planes that have them.

Wonder what the performance charts say about landing in these conditions?

Tony,

Not to pick nits, but neither RJ was operted by Northwest or United. They were operated by two totaly different airlines, Pinnacle and Mesa I beleive. Ufortunately the mainline operations get the bad press because they insist on painting the jets like the mainline in their bait and switch/job outsourcing operations they like to call "Express".

I don't know of any operation that allows operation on runways with known NIL braking action. Doesn't look good for the second crew if they actually received the report. Very lucky that no one was hurt.

Maddog

Tony,

Not to pick nits, but neither RJ was operted by Northwest or United. They were operated by two totaly different airlines, Pinnacle and Mesa I beleive. Ufortunately the mainline operations get the bad press because they insist on painting the jets like the mainline in their bait and switch/job outsourcing operations they like to call "Express".

I don't know of any operation that allows operation on runways with known NIL braking action. Doesn't look good for the second crew if they actually received the report. Very lucky that no one was hurt.

Maddog

Ok, 2 airliners slid off taxiways at DSM. One was painted red and said "Northwest" the other was painted blue and said "United". I suppose the mainline has to accept the bad press that could come from associating their name with the regional carrier.

Agree on the no one getting hurt. Funny thing i saw was that the national news picked up on the 2 taxiway slides at DSM but not a word about going off the runway at MSN.

Ok, 2 airliners slid off taxiways at DSM. One was painted red and said "Northwest" the other was painted blue and said "United". I suppose the mainline has to accept the bad press that could come from associating their name with the regional carrier.

Kinda like how I don't actually work for US Airways, even though my cap and my wings say US Air Express, and our planes are dark blue (great idea for LGA in the summer) with the US Air flag emblazoned across them.

Agree on the no one getting hurt. Funny thing i saw was that the national news picked up on the 2 taxiway slides at DSM but not a word about going off the runway at MSN.

Here's why -

First plane goes: "Holy crap, there was a plane crash because of the weather, go live now!"

15 mins later: "Damn, that wasn't nearly as exciting as we thought."

Second plane goes: "Holy crap another one in the same place...this airport is unsuitable and possibly fatal for humans to even be near, there's going to be a huge pile up on the tarmac, go live now!"

15 mins later: "Damn, no better than the first. Not even a little fire."

Third plane goes: "Ehhh, f-it...it's a different airport and we've done this twice today. With weather like this, the planes should just be falling out of the sky! Right? Someone write a story about that...why the planes haven't yet fallen out of the sky!"

I don't remember which newscast it was that I saw last night, but they reported that "emergency crews had been on alert because one airplane landed with ice on its wings." OH MY G-D, not ice in the winter!!! Kinda like how planes with propellers can't fly in the rain...they melt unlike those big fancy jets, right?

Kinda like how I don't actually work for US Airways, even though my cap and my wings say US Air Express, and our planes are dark blue (great idea for LGA in the summer) with the US Air flag emblazoned across them.

Here's why -

First plane goes: "Holy crap, there was a plane crash because of the weather, go live now!"

15 mins later: "Damn, that wasn't nearly as exciting as we thought."

Second plane goes: "Holy crap another one in the same place...this airport is unsuitable and possibly fatal for humans to even be near, there's going to be a huge pile up on the tarmac, go live now!"

15 mins later: "Damn, no better than the first. Not even a little fire."

Third plane goes: "Ehhh, f-it...it's a different airport and we've done this twice today. With weather like this, the planes should just be falling out of the sky! Right? Someone write a story about that...why the planes haven't yet fallen out of the sky!"

I don't remember which newscast it was that I saw last night, but they reported that "emergency crews had been on alert because one airplane landed with ice on its wings." OH MY G-D, not ice in the winter!!! Kinda like how planes with propellers can't fly in the rain...they melt unlike those big fancy jets, right?
Good summary of modern news for ratings.

Attachments

• snow.gif
    snow.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 21
Back