Another restauranteur giving it a go at Stinson Field (KSSF)

Van Johnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Van Johnston
New sandwich shop opened on Stinson Field today. Standing by for Jay's PIREP.

Now Open!
Brown Bag Touch 'n' Go Cafe
at Stinson Municipal Airport

Delicious sandwiches and specials, home-made desserts
and the best view in town!

Open Everyday
7am - 5pm
www.facebook.com/TheBrownBagSandwichShop

Stinson Municipal Airport
8535 Mission Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78214

Wish them luck ,not easy to make money at an airport diner.

Wish them luck ,not easy to make money at an airport diner.

Yeah, like the restaurant business isn't tough enough. Is it a busy airport at least? Good luck to them, I always like finding an on field restaurant when I stop for fuel, it saves a bunch of time. FXE has a pretty good one, but the prices reflect the Gulfstreams outside.:eek:

This is their second location in San Antonio. The other one is on the east side of the San Antonio International Airport on a perimeter road (although you can't get to it from within the airport)

They have excellent food. Sure hope they make it at Stinson. It's not a particularly busy airport, but hopefully they can pull from the surrounding area.

Amazing. We are supposed to fly into Stinson on Wednesday, and were wondering if the restaurant was open!

Perfect timing, thanks! I will post a PIREP soon.

Amazing. We are supposed to fly into Stinson on Wednesday, and were wondering if the restaurant was open!

Perfect timing, thanks! I will post a PIREP soon.

Can't PIREP the restaurant, but I stop there to visit relatives when I'm in San Antonio and that is a top notch FBO. They've been waiting for me in the golf cart everytime I land with cold water if its hot. One trip I called and was in a hurry and asked them to check on a hotel room for me (July 4th weekend). They watched me on flightaware, had the rooom and it was a TON cheaper than I was quoted for the same place downtown. They used to have ultra-cheap rental cars, but those aren't available last time I was there (used to be like $19 for a Prius a couple of years ago). They also put my plane in the hangar once as they were worried about bad weather (didn't occur) at no charge. Stinson and Fullerton are the two best FBO's other than the old BlueFeather.

So today we flew into SSF (Stinson Field) in San Antonio to visit the new FBO, Gate One, and the new restaurant, the Brown Bag Cafe. Both are located in the historic terminal building beneath the tower:

9d3cc075028294e4b25d3b2a752e7557.jpg

edcdd673535497183e855528b0ff80ab.jpg

The FBO is run by Eric and his fine employees, many of whom worked at the old FBO that was on the field for many years. They have moved from a remote hangar to the terminal building, and the facilities are excellent. Free wifi and comfy chairs with a nice view of the ramp were topped off by quick, friendly service.

Then, we strolled over to the new restaurant, where we were greeted by Jaynee and her staff. The setting is comfy, if somewhat incomplete (they just opened last week), so they've got some decorating to do. The boxes for the new credit card equipment were still on the counter -- THAT'S how new they are!

The food, however, can't be beat. This is their second location, and their other restaurant has been open for 30+ years! The food process is simple -- order at the counter, they build your sandwich and bring it out to your table. Meantime, help yourself to the soda fountain and grab any to-go-withs you may desire.

I had a killer Ruben sandwich, with a huge bowl of chicken tortilla soup, some potato salad, and a big pop. Mary had a good club sandwich with chips. Price was a reasonable $17, plus tip.

Jasmine and Jaynee then posed for pix with us, to put on their Facebook page. They then asked if they could come see our plane (they are very much new to aviation, and had never seen anything like our RV-8 before), and were totally tickled when I told them to climb aboard and make airplane noises. They took, like, 6 billion pictures -- it was great fun!

Here's the pix:

be66b5f9903518420bcd3423aca6f99d.jpg

This one shows Jasmine in the front, and Jaynee in the back.
dd174beb19891df8675d44c908198c1b.jpg

Jasmine giggled the whole time!
1e47a7e02bc454be3db97fd6f528b84c.jpg

All in all, a most enjoyable day! We highly recommend visiting this nice new restaurant, located on wonderfully historic Stinson Field.

Last edited:
Hey, the Ruben was on "special", as was the soup! ;)

When at a new place, I always try the specials, figuring that they must be good. They were!

I was referring to the use of the word 'pop'. I always thought Texas folks called all soft drinks 'Coke'.

I was referring to the use of the word 'pop'. I always thought Texas folks called all soft drinks 'Coke'.

Us Southerners call all 'soft drinks' Coke. Yankees tend to use 'pop,' except those yankees west of PA call them all 'soda.' Out west, they're a hodgepodge of folks from back east, so there is no consistent regional usage.

Long live Dixie and Coke! :yes:

Hey, the Ruben was on "special", as was the soup! ;)

When at a new place, I always try the specials, figuring that they must be good. They were!

Normally in the restaurant business the 'specials' are comprised of food that needs to be served today, because tomorrow it needs to be thrown away.:lol:

Us Southerners call all 'soft drinks' Coke. Yankees tend to use 'pop,' except those yankees west of PA call them all 'soda.' Out west, they're a hodgepodge of folks from back east, so there is no consistent regional usage.

Long live Dixie and Coke! :yes:
In Wisconsin, my home state, it's "soda".

It took 14 years in Iowa to beat soda out of me, and they finally made me say "pop".

Now, in Texas, it's back to "soda" or "Coke". It makes me crazy. ;)

Back