...Another Recording Option...

Spammy website. Won't even let you look without giving an e-mail? They deserve the customers they get.

...jeez. Some cool stuff on there. Their prices are cheaper (sometimes significantly) than 'retail' and you have to login to see them (not unlike many websites I've seen...even tech sites like newegg.com). I just use my facebook.com login and it works fine.

Why do I get the feeling...

Attachments

• 45_Get_off_My_Lawn.png
    45_Get_off_My_Lawn.png
    313.8 KB · Views: 28
...one of the things I picked up off this site a while back. I use them alot for finding gifts for folks that are impossible to buy for. I bought this for myself. They had quite a few different airports available...but products come and go...no idea where to find these now.

Attachments

• austin.jpg
    austin.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 59
(I have the ToMo app on my phone and check it daily. Mostly hipster crap, but interesting to look at over breakfast. Each item is available for just a few days then disappears. A bit like Woot but more than just one day at a time)

ToMo is just a promotional website, what they sell is made by others. In this case, the same item is available on Amazon, here (ToMo's price is less):
http://www.amazon.com/iVUE-Horizon-Camera-Recording-Sunglasses/dp/B00NAI092S

Yup, always check amazon first...occasionally you'll be able to find some of their items there but often not. Either way, even with shipping off ToMo ($15), it's cheaper to get them there than if you have Prime and get free shipping from Amazon.

Anyway, I ordered a pair...may use them from time to time in the cockpit but my kids will love them. :D

If convenient, please report back after you try them. I would be interested in reading a review.
TIA.

Will do for sure...I'll do a flight with them and my GoPro and post a video in a few weeks after they arrive...

...Anyway, I ordered a pair...may use them from time to time in the cockpit but my kids will love them. :D

For the price I don't see how you could lose. If you're into making videos like that they are another tool that look to be very easy to use - no setting up mounts or experimenting with positions and locations. As you said, if nothing else they'd keep a couple of kids entertained for at least a week.

There's a trick to making good FPV video though because without consciously constraining your head movements it ends up looking like you're a rabbit getting chased by a hound.

Looks like fun though, I might get me a pair just for the heck of it and I'm not into making videos like that so rest assured none of you shall ever be subjected to having to watch one LoL :D

...one of the things I picked up off this site a while back. I use them alot for finding gifts for folks that are impossible to buy for. I bought this for myself. They had quite a few different airports available...but products come and go...no idea where to find these now.

That is cool as hell.

Looked pretty neat so I ordered a set off Amazon. Cost a few bucks more but free shipping and unquestionable return policy if need be. I've been playing with them most of the afternoon. Google Glass they ain't but we all know that. For what they actually are and the price I'd say they're worth it. The aspect is just about perfect for this sort of FPV video, not super wide like a GoPro. The interface also is not especially sophisticated but really, you don't need to be fiddling much with anything. I have a Nikon S8000 that has untold number of features that I have never used. It normally just stays in AUTO 99% of the time.

Anyway, no flying yet but here's a short clip coming back from the grocery store.

Ivue test I

So far I've noticed it only on the in car sequences but this is why I buy stuff off Amazon. I can have a prepaid return label and my money back in minutes -before I even put it in the box to ship it back.

One possibility however is that I wear glasses and so I had the Ivue on over them - meaning they were kind of sitting on top of my glasses frame so maybe that had something to do with it. They are kind of chunky so I was later able to remove the lenses from an old pair of glasses and with a couple of pieces of double back tape stick them to the inside of the Ivue lenses effectively making them into a pair of prescription sunglasses. I'll see if that makes any difference tomorrow.

I'd say hold off as there seems to be a couple of issues. For one thing there is the audio clicking and popping and for another I am unable to alter any of the parameters such as turn on/off Time Lapse with the setup file.

The Ivue support phone number on their website is disconnected. I have emailed them so we'll see where it goes. I realize it's the weekend and Monday is a holiday so I'll give them some time to come through. If not I'm not worried because Amazon has never given me any trouble about returns on anything.

I like the product but like I said, this ain't Google Glass and the interface is a bit on the crude side. That shouldn't be a problem though as long as it works.

I'd rather just get a Gopro hero 3 off eBay or Craig's, having the mounting options and with how tuff they are, best action camera periorid.

GoPro is certainly a good product that has cornered the market but having used them on numerous occasions I can say that it doesn't do what the Ivue does. A fixed mount is exactly that - fixed - and there's nothing dynamic about it, you're stuck watching the same view until you stop and remount it somewhere else. I know people mount them on helmets but there's really nothing convenient, inconspicuous or elegant about having a 3x3 inch cube mounted to your head.

I've found that the Ivue provides a really good perspective for certain types of filming and the view angle is just about right because having the dynamic range of motion there is no need to make it super wide angle.

That being said however I honestly don't feel this product in it's current state is all there and I'd consider it just a bit over priced. For one thing there is no mic input so if you want to do any in flight videos all you're going to get is ambient cockpit noise.

With a little improvement however I think it would be a really nice device. It certainly has the potential.

...quick video from the car this morning driving to the office. Thank god I don't have to deal with Austin traffic everyday...so bad now...please don't move here. :)

PS-the video is only 1 minute long but i borked something in my video editor so it built out a 3 minute file. Nothing to see but black screen for a bit after the 1 minute mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5tM2OfzZPc&feature=youtu.be

Pirep so far...

Seem to be built OK to me...I have a decent sized head I'd guess...maybe a bit bigger than average the the glasses are comfortable. They grip a little tight just above the ears and there's really no option to stretch them out so you just have to deal with it.

Sunglasses are actually pretty decent. It comes with some clear lenses you can use as well. After a bit I didn't notice they were on. Quality seems pretty decent...make sure when you hit the YouTube video to dial in 1080p.

You can change various settings on them by modifying a settings.txt file. It's pretty easy...use 1 for 1080p and 0 for 720p, etc...

Easy to charge, comes with a micro-SD card. If you plug the USB end into your computer it will open in file explorer and you can download/watch video from there.

Audio seems decent. I had the stereo cranked in my car to see how bad it would distort and it wasn't horrible. Obviously in the cockpit the audio will pretty much be unusable when the engine is running. Audio volume is adjustable via the settings file though - but I probably won't mess with it.

Should be fun to add it to the couple cameras I fly with from time to time. Be a nice perspective. Early on in my training I attached my nFlightcam to my Zulu's for a couple flights and got some good footage.

More later...

If you decide to try out the time lapse feature be aware, as I have discovered, that there is an error in the user guide. It tells you on page 5

(TimeLapse):0-1 0=Off, 1=On but that's wrong.

It tells you the proper syntax at the bottom of the setup file

(TimeLapse): 0-xxx where 0=Off and xxx=number of frames per hour with 60 being the minimum and 1200 the maximum.

Still haven't done any flying but I'm already thinking the headset ain't gonna fit too well over these things.

If you decide to try out the time lapse feature be aware, as I have discovered, that there is an error in the user guide. It tells you on page 5

(TimeLapse):0-1 0=Off, 1=On but that's wrong.

It tells you the proper syntax at the bottom of the setup file

(TimeLapse): 0-xxx where 0=Off and xxx=number of frames per hour with 60 being the minimum and 1200 the maximum.

Still haven't done any flying but I'm already thinking the headset ain't gonna fit too well over these things.

I use a QT Halo....I'll be fine :D

Ken - I see solid white lines don't mean squat where you drive, either! ? :)

Ken - do me a favor and make another recording in the car with the radio turned off and see if you notice any clicking or static-like popping in the audio such as I had on mine. No need to post it, just listen and let me know the results. Mine only seems to do it in the car.

Back